Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

TV Auto Scan

We have a 2014 Newmar Ventana. When we arrive at a site and use the auto program, we get a different number of found channels for each of the 4 TV's. Even the overhead and the TV in the same viewing area get a different number of channels. The dealer has worked on it with negative results. I am due back at the dealer the middle of next month for another service call and would like to get this issue resolved. Does anyone have any suggestions that I can offer to the tech or is this common? Our last coach had 2 TV's and they always programmed the same number of channels.

Also, any suggestions for a better way to secure the Tyre Gard (wheel covers). The bungee cords supplied with the covers are hard to get around the tire and then back to the loop to secure the ball.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First the wheel covers.. You need the RV Wonder Tool, Every RV comes with an RV wonder tool.. You might know it by it's product name. Awning Hook,,

This is a long metal rod the end is bent to hook the loop in the awning and the other end is usually a circle. Hook the bungee in the circle and the rod goes behind the tire, pull it through and the bungee comes with it... Took me a while to figure that out (But I do not often cover the wheels).

Now the TV's.. This was a common issue with Airstream trailers back around the 1970's as it happens the engineer who fixed it is a friend of mine.. But today I do not think that is it.

Being trained in electroincs and being a ham radio operator I have a lot of paper lying about, one of the best books is the Amateur Radio Operator's Handbook published by the ARRL.. Many non-ham electronics engineers keep a copy handy.

One of the things in that book is a chart showing the loss factor on many different coax cables.. GENERALLY RV's are wired with lowest bidder RG-59 Which can have a lot of loss, so the length of the coax run can affect the channels you get.

Also the quality, and number of Splits

And the condition of the switches on the matrix switch (Box of many buttons) if you have one.

However a cheap splitter may also cause issues with the cables interfering with each other.

I have, for example, created a NOTCH filter by simply hooking a length of cable (Precision cut) to the terminal using a "T" instead of a proper splitter, The cable (Cut to 1/4 wavelength on the interfering frequency) looked to the desired signal like an open circuit, but to the interfering signal it was a dead short.

If the splitters are cheap enough, this can happen as well.

By the way, that was the problem in the Airstreams. electricans simply SPLICED the wire (Back then it was 300 Ohm Flat lead, not Coax)

And the run to the back TV acted like the above STUB on some channels, to the front on others. So some stations only came in on one of the two sets. Different stations on each.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #3

wa8yxm‘s explanation makes perfect sense. my antenna goes to front first, then split to bedroom. i always get fewer channels on bedroom tv than in front tv. now i think i know why.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #4

I would also agree with wa8yxm's explanation too. But I would hope that a 2014 model year Newmar coach would have RG-6 cable, not RG-59. Fortunately my '04 Alpine Coach had RG-6 installed at the factory. And no splitters! Just a BOMB that is now in the trash.

But even if they use quality RG-6, they need to do a good job of terminating them. That's where I would look. Hopefully they used compression fittings, not crimp fittings.

Also, some TV's have different quality tuners. Some tuners will simply bring in more channels. Are you talking about a big difference in the number of channels, or a minor difference?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So you know the BOMB (matrix switch) IS a splitter.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
So you know the BOMB (matrix switch) IS a splitter.
Yep, one reason I got rid of it.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:19 AM   #7

Are all 4 TVs the exact same make and model?
I can hook 3 different TVs to the same cable and get a different number of channels on each due to tuner quality variation in each TV. It is very noticeable when some of those signals are weak.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #8

Auto Scan

az99
I will check to see if all of the TV's are the same model. All are Sony LCD's but I have 3 different sizes. I will let you know.
Again, thanks to all for the assist.