Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #1
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
TV Cable Splitter Gone Bad Again

Long story but determined that the TV splitter was bad, replaced. Worked two trips with the second only using OTA. This time out hooked to campground system up and nothing. After bypassing the antenna amplifier, hooking direct into the splitter still couldn't get a signal so I bypassed the splitter directly to the the cable to one TV. Bingo.

Would something cause a splitter to go bad? I can see one going but two back-to-back seems odd.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd suspect the cable itself going to the TV. Two bad splitters in a row.....possible but extremely unlikely.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #3

Splitters do cause signal loss, an amplifier at the antenna should overcome much of that loss. Be sure that the splitter is not between the power input and the antenna. Also, turn off any and all LED lights when scanning for channels, and then see if channels are lost when the lights are turned on.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #4

Unless the splitter is rated to carry AC or DC voltage, that could explain it getting fried. Check for voltage between the shield and center conductor on each cable with the amplifier on and off. Eg center conductor to each shield. There should not be any detectable voltage with a VOM.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two types of splitters. Resistor and Transformer

And there is next to NOTHING that can make 'em go bad save a direct or near diretct lightening hit on the antenna. I have multiple splitters in this coach most are 13 years old, one is about 9,

Check for voltage on the coax from the Amplifier power supply (The Winegard Wall plate) to the splitter. that is one of the things that can damage them.

Buy a better splitter

How many TV's do you have? THe Winegard Switch plate is also a Splitter

There is no way to bypass the amplifier, it is part of the antenna, You can only bypass the power supply/selector switch, which disables the amplifier

Finally a resistive splitter has a six DB loss if it is workign perfetly (usually more) and that may be enough to give you the dreaded NO SIGNAL if you are say the 60% signal strength range.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the answers so far. I'll try to clarify, then start at A instead of H in hope that there is a better clue.

The cable to TV is good, I pulled it off the splitter and hooked direct to the pole.

I have checked for wayward voltage at the cables, the first time I had problems, and not finding anything.

There is four TV's. Fleetwood in there vast wisdom had an EIGHT way splitter in it with none of the extra ones terminated. Replaced it with a four way off Amazon as I wasn't going to spend half a day looking locally.

Now from the beginning.

Couldn't get any reception on cable, couldn't try OTA as there is no signal at this spot. The host gave me a loaner cable to try and told me to try a post from the adjoining site to confirm our hookup was good. Nothing.

Hooked up direct to bedroom TV, the only one with easy access. Success.

Hooked up to the King amplifier and couldn't get signal to any TV. Gave up and spent the next four days listening to the TV addict bemoaning the fact. Did find the cable from the bay to amp had a gouge in it but I didn't feel it was bad enough to be a problem.

Come home and was in the dealer for some follow up work and spoke to them. They agreed that while rare the amp could have gone bad and maybe the problem.

Back in the storage unit I tested the cables using a D cell and VOM taking care to disconnect the TV output. Couldn't trace any voltage through the amp but figured even if the amp wouldn't pass the low voltage a new amp was only $20. Replaced amp.

Off again to the same site I was at. No signal.

Hooked direct to bed TV as before. Worked..

Never thought about the splitter being a problem. I had grabbed a bunch of old cables from the junk box at home and one had a two way splitter on it. Found where the spitter was located (not to bad of location) pulled off the input line and hook direct to pole. Nothing.

Hooked to main TV cable from the pole and had success. DW VERY happy.

Hooked my two way splitter up direct to the pole and had signal to both main and bed TV.

Next day took the jumper off the pole and hooked it up correctly to the outside cable imput still leaving my two way splitter in. Both TV's working.

Home and got a four way and installed.

Out again and all working. Stopped at DD and used OTA, all good.

Now I'm back to the first post...

Tags
cable