RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #1

TV headphones??

Has anyone figured out if it is possible to use headphones plugged into the TV? We have two TV's in the living area of our motorhome, while wife is watching the big screen, I'd like to watch the small screen, but different shows. I'm sure I can plug in a set of head phones, but I believe that will permanently mute the TV unless they are unplugged. I would have to leave the head phones plugged in since the back of the TV is not readily accessible to plug in and unplug at a moments notice. Also, is there a switch or something else available that could allow the sound to be switched from headphones to TV speakers as needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Wireless?

Lori-

NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Wireless?

Lori-
Thank you, obviously I'm not an audio tech.....but I can research the wireless headphones for my use in the motorhome. Thank you Lori.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #4

The Roku internet-TV box has a headset that plugs into the remote control. Would be perfect for you. I don't know if anyone makes a universal remote with that feature, but you might search for one.
ArloShmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
See if there is an audio out jack on the back of the tv. If so you can use that and possibly turn it down very low while driving a wireless headset that has a separate volume control. The jack I am suggesting would be to drive a separate audio amp such as a surround sound system.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't think that you'll be very happy using wired headphones. I use Sony MDRRF985RK headphones Amazon.com : Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF Headphone, Black : Electronics . If you are watching TV through a satellite receiver, they have audio out jacks that you can tie into with the headphones and you'll have control of the audio on both the TV and the headphones separately. That's how I tie the headphones into our front TV. Another option if your TV mutes the speakers when the headphones are plugged in is to buy a "Y" cable that has two outputs and plug that into the TV jack and then the headphones into one side of the "Y" cable and external speakers to the other side. If you use powered external speakers then you can control the volume on them. Although some will say that the TV headphone jack impedance and drive is wrong for the external speakers, it's been working just fine. So that's what I've been using on our RV bedroom TV. I'm hard of hearing and this set-up works well for us. Good luck.
Al
Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #7

I have a set of these in our house and in the MH. Have them plugged into the Audio Out Jack on the TV an leave them plugged in. Must have a 110V outlet handy to plug the charger into. (Rechargeable Batteries)
They work really well. When wearing the phones, just turn on the switch on the phones and you can have the sound on the TV turned up, down or off. Makes no difference to the phones. Perfect for old Deaf Guys.

Sennheiser RS 120 II - Audio Headphones Stereo Wireless - Ideal for modern music & TV - Lightweight
Old 03-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on the TV and a few other things... But with many modern TV's there is indeed a headphone jack on the back.

IF there is you have options as follows:
Headphones with long leads
Extension lead (Radio shack used to sell, I have one)
I/R or other Wireless (plug in the transmitter and wear the battery operated headphone)

I do not recommend blue tooth as that injects considerable delay.

If the TV does not have a headphone jack (my main one does not) but has A/V out, you may be able to tap in there and feed an external amp. Some times the A/V out is independent of the volume control,, sometimes it's not.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #9

If it turns out that you have fixed output audio jacks (red & white OR unused red white & yellow leaving the yellow open) on the back of the set...you can plug into them with an adapter and use headphones with a volume control or plug into a wireless setup. My experience is that the vast majority of sets cut off volume one you plug into their headphone jack
This is the type of adapter you would need.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #10

Never use the headset jack on my TV so can't comment, but thought I would mention that the Vizio TV does have a setting for the TV speakers to be on or off. I use the remote to access the settings and search under "audio." I keep it turned off because I use a separate sound bar. All this is in my SB home. I think most newer TVs will have a setting like this. Very simple to change if you want to hear the sound through the TV speakers. And I agree about the wireless. I think a cord running from the TV to the headset is going to get in the way a lot. Good luck.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We use the TV Ears works great the wife can watch her soaps on one TV and I can watch sports on other the ears work when the volume is turned right down
Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #12

The headphone jack may be moved to the front/side of the TV, even if you must install a bracket on the front for the jack. OR, you might find a headphone extension cable and leave just enough out front to handle.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote