Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #1

TV Just Shuts Off

We have a 40" Sony Bravia TV in the livingroom that comes down from the ceiling. After about 15mins of viewing the tv just shuts off. After retracting the tv back into the ceiling and waiting about 5mins it will come back on when you lower the tv back down again. When the TV is working, it works great. Then it will shut down again and again. Any ideas? Has anyone had this type of problem with any retractable ceiling TVs ?
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #2

I used to repair computer terminals and monitors and various electronics circuit boards before we started throwing them out. It seems your problem is related to a part that is heating up. Back in the days I used a heat gun and circuit cooler in a can to locate the bad part... You will probably end up replacing the TV...
Old 02-05-2015, 09:54 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My in-laws just bought a new tv did the same thing you were talking about. Repair tech came and said bad motherboard. Replaced the mother board, A week later they took it back and traded for a new TV. Bottom line if you do not have the skills to fix it yourself. ( How good are you at working on switching power supplies which is where I think your problem is) Then it will cost too much money to fix it.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Turn it on and aim a fan at it. If it runs longer then you have a component problem.

Another problem I ran into was that my neighbor bought a TV just like mine. My remote would affect his TV and his remote would goof mine up. His house is about 25 feet from mine.

I didn't believe it at first and so we experimented with the remotes using our cellphones to try various things and that was the problem.

He didn't like the TV and returned it which solved the problem.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Does sound like a heat related shutdown.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:37 PM   #6

You sure it isn't accidently on a timer. We have done that before and it took us a few times messing with the remote to see that we had it on a timer. Just a long shot but worth making sure before you spend money.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:27 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Could be bad electricity

One RV park that I was at had such bad power, it caused my TV to shut off. When I put a meter on it, the voltage was declining from 120 volts to a little less than 90 at times.

If you don't have a meter, run a fan, any kind will do, and you can tell in a jiffy when the noise changes that the power has changed.

I turned on my inverter, and that solved the voltage dips, because the switchover to battery was instant when the park voltage dipped. The TV stayed on.

I am thinking of leaving my inverter always on to level out the voltage at some of these sub-standard parks - just a thought...

It still could be, and likely is, a bad TV..
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:33 AM   #8

Thank you folks. The timers are all turned off and the park 50 amp voltage is very strong(the high side of the green meter / 13.5 on the Aladdin. We will try the fan at the back of the TV and check for heat. What turns the TV on and off as it comes down and retracts? Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:13 AM   #9

Another idea: a bad fluorescent light ballast. Turn off all your fluorescent lights off and see...
Old 02-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some RV's the TV is a 12 volt house item, others 120vac (also house but all 120 vac stuff is house).

Some 12 volt TV's do not like the 13+ volt house power.. Others do not mind it. Not sure about Sony's. but if all else fails, request a different make replacement.. My Samsung is a 14 volt unit,, 13.6 makes it very very happy,
Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #11

Ok, so this is going to sound crazy, but it happened to me with a Samsung I had. The TV would just randomly turn itself off. You could not turn it back on with the remote, but had to unplug it and plug it back in, then it would work. Sometimes for days, sometimes for only a few minutes. It drove me nuts. It was almost like the TV had a butt switch. As soon as my butt would hit the couch it would turn off.

I finally talked to a guy at Samsung and he asked me what I though was a stupid question. "Does it only happen when a commercial comes on?" Idiot. So, I started noting that INDEED it only happened when a commercial came on, or there was a quick scene change on the screen. He told me to turn down the brightness a notch or two. It seems there is some sort of protection built into the screen that if it suddenly sees something that is too bright, it hits the circuit breaker. The only way to reset is to unplug the TV and try again. I turned the brightness down and it never happened again.

Strange, but true.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #12

Thanks Again

I have turned down the brightness which was 75 now 65 and I have a fan on the back. So far no problems. Oh by the way, the TV political shutdown switch was activated by the previous owner.......just kidding!
Old 02-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
Oh by the way, the TV political shutdown switch was activated by the previous owner.......just kidding!
Don't you wish.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
I have turned down the brightness which was 75 now 65 and I have a fan on the back. So far no problems. Oh by the way, the TV political shutdown switch was activated by the previous owner.......just kidding!
You have a fan running on the back and no problems is interesting. I actually liked the idea of other remotes. Do you have a remote that will turn it on and off. IF you do have a remote can you turn it on immediately or do you have to put it back in the ceiling before it will come on.

If the fan is keeping it cool enough not to fail then you either have to live with a fan. ( Wonder if that will work during summer) or find the problem. My first guess is a bad solder joint during manufacturing. If it is a new tv. I would especially wonder about that. Bad solder joint making connection when cold when it warms up the joint heats up and expands and you lose the connection. Whether it is solder joint or component the high probability is a problem in the power supply. Since you lose both video and audio it is the one area that is common to both. I believe all TV's in use today are switching power supplies. I have never worked on them but know the principle. The power supply turns on monitors the power and if it finds something out of tolerance it shuts back down. They are extremely stable and accurate but that comes with the price of being hard to work on. With the price I see of new Televisions unless there is a mounting issue you are probably going to have to buy a new one.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote