RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #1

TV options for Canadians going South

Just bought a used RV with the old Nomad 2 system. I'm going to up grade to Winegard and just wondering which system will work both in Canada and in the States as well. Bell, Telus, Shaw or Star Choice? Which is best?

Cheers,
Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #2

Telus/ Bell use the same satellites and they're aimed at Canada, can't get signal in southern Washington. Star Choice is now Shaw Direct, uses 2 old satellites for some channels that require an old programed receiver to pick up the signal because their replacement satellite, that carries the majority of the HD channels is also aimed at Canada. Any new equipment from Shaw ( receiver ) wont work in the south .
I carried a Bell, unit south for 5 years, before the new satellite was launched. Friends in the same park have Shaw, feel that it's just a matter of time before no Canadian content, will be available in the lower 48. I've gone to internet video for local news/ sports, while south.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:18 AM   #3

The Nomad 2 system still works (kind of) but requires a little manual manipulation. It will not lock onto the satellites because of the interference from the new satellite but it is functional. I have the Shaw Direct system. While the satellite is searching for the bird have the TV set to show the satellite signal strength. When the signal shows a high reading (75 - 100%) press the power button on the Nomad to shut it off. The TV screen usually shows the picture from the channel it's set to and I wait until that picture looks normal before shutting off the Nomad. It sometimes takes a few tries to get it right and if it doesn't work you have to stow the satellite and start again. It worked all winter for me in Yuma Arizona and back here in Ontario. For the cost of a new system I can put up with a little manual set up. The receiver will have to have the V code for the old satellite. Sometimes you have to refresh the receiver and this is done via their website - don't ever tell them you are in the US because they may disconnect you.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #4

Oh man. Not good news. I was told you have to take the Nomad 2 to Woody's RV and get it programed. They charge anywhere from 250 to 500 depending on which Woody's you go to. The guy also said you some times have to take it in for programing a couple times per year sheesh. That's why I was thinking about upgrading to the Winegard.

So my old Star Choice receiver may work in AZ you say?
Old 05-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInAlberta View Post
You would need a working receiver, from Shaw , with old programing. Many times the programing downloads are automatic when operating in Canada. So what works one year, in the south, could not work the next if used in Canada.

Like I said , I've given up trying to make my, or any Canadian system work in the USA. I get the cable in the park, and high speed cable internet and watch , local news and curling on the internet. Cable & high speed internet in my park cost me about $60 a month, + 5 for wireless router so I can watch from the patio.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Oh man. Not good news. I was told you have to take the Nomad 2 to Woody's RV and get it programed. They charge anywhere from 250 to 500 depending on which Woody's you go to. The guy also said you some times have to take it in for programing a couple times per year sheesh. That's why I was thinking about upgrading to the Winegard.

Vulc Mark
Technician
MobilTec
(403) 462-7889
mark@mobiltec.ca

Give Mark a call. He is in Calgary. He is a Shaw/Traveler expert. Knows his stuff.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #7

Ok thanks guys
Old 06-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #8

Motosat has gone out of business so there isn't anyone who can reprogram the Nomad with up to date software. What they do is reflash with old software which will not help this situation because the issue is with the new satellite interference. If you want something new that will work with your existing roof top assembly check out rfmogul.com I spoke with Royal at the RV show in Quartzsite in January and they have a new controller that will work with the Motosat dish but it costs $600 US It will bring in the Shaw satellites (2 older ones not the new HD one). I figure for $600 I can put up with my manual setup and it works just fine. I set it up at every stop along the way to Yuma and home without any issues so for the people that say it doesn't work, they are just not doing it properly. There's noway to say how long Shaw will provide service from the old satellites but until it stops working what's the point in spending hundreds of dollars replacing it?
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #9

Explorer SS offers a replacement controller for the Motosat Nomad 2 /3. With GPS the unit costs about $1000. Anyone with a screwdriver can change the unit out in less than an hour.The programming instructions are a bit lite, when programming the dish type make sure to scroll down to the MSC60 selection. There are no changes to the rooftop unit. The unit auto finds the satellites in 3.5 minutes every time. Contact Explorer at their web site:
ESSi - Explorer Satellite Systems Inc. - Home
AlbertaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Our Star Choice currently works with no issues in Yuma. I have a small dish on a tripod and get 80%.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #11

My coach had the KVH Tracvision dome on top and, from what described, is very similar to the programming updates and inconvenience to yours. As RVing for me is all about relaxing I surrended and after some research I had my system pulled off and the Winegard Travler put on. This was just done while we were travelling south in Oregon at the end of May.

In short, I couldn't be happier with the Travler and totally agree with all the great reviews of that system.....push one button and watch it do it's thing.

We use Shaw cable at home so for us the best system was Dish Network Pay as you GO. It's very seamless and the reality is it still works when it's parked at our house on the Island. The Travler comes in different flavors, Directv, Starchoice and Dish (the latter will will work with Bell satellites too)

Regardless of your provider, you won't look back after you use the Travler system.....
Old 06-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #12

Found a local guy who can sell and install the Wineguard traveller. Also found out Shaw Direct works all the way to Mexico. So being as this is going to be our full time home. Think we will pull the trigger on this system
Old 06-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Found a local guy who can sell and install the Wineguard traveller. Also found out Shaw Direct works all the way to Mexico. So being as this is going to be our full time home. Think we will pull the trigger on this system
We would be interested in a similar system. How much is it and a contact please.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
This system does work very well.
One word of caution, if you are south of the border Do Not Call Shaw and tell them where you are. That will be the end of your service with them. They have had their hands slapped for selling service continent wide and now they are trying to make the best of the situation with customers that were sold on service to Mexico.
As I understand, we do have the option of picking up a provider in the US that works with the same equipment but that means you Will miss your Hockey games.