Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2017, 01:00 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWKingSD View Post
And let us know if you find a community where you get a choice of local Internet service providers for that free market competition.
I live in a medium sized city on Vancouver Island and I have optic TV / Internet with speeds unheard pf ten years ago. We started out at 30 baud and have super fast ISP speeds at about 15% more than the old 30 baud dial ups. I really think the NN rules fixed a problem that didn't exist. Open competition is usually a far better problem solver than government control and I truly believe NN was the harbinger of government regulations taking over in some guise or the other. But I have been known to be wrong before.
Wandersabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalich View Post
OMG!!!! (I hate using that) But come on, the sky is NOT falling! Without Net Neutrality the world is not coming to an end! If all the companies do half of what is being proposed, the consumer base will not stand for it, hence the free market will find a solution. This will just open opportunity for some smarter than me entrepreneur to come up with a solution and make a ton of money. I have full faith in the US Free Market System.

P.S. Not to mention all the money lawyers will be making via lawsuits as soon as the first company try to limit speech.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWKingSD View Post
And let us know if you find a community where you get a choice of local Internet service providers for that free market competition.
Exactly why we have a Public Utilities Commission in California.
When cable came to my home town of Santa Monica California Theta Cable lobbied to be exclusive of the PUC. We're still paying the price
Old 12-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
TV over internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattle n Roost View Post
Have to say the last two years of net neutrality has been as bad as ever for the consumer. Just read all the complaints about service and cost? How has nn helped with that? Let the free market rule. If a provider charges $75, they'll soon be replaced by someone who will offer what the people need at a much lower cost.

Totally Agree.

Now a whole bunch of us have hijacked the OP’s thread to talk about NN. Suggest somebody start a separate NN thread, but that could get politically ugly.

For the OP, like many have said, today’s best option ON THE ROAD is probably going to be DISH or DIRECT TV.

If your at the S&B, with a reasonably efficient Internet connection with no caps, then most of the streaming options become viable. Yeah, streaming works on the road, but not that well due to bandwidth limitations.

This will all probably change in coming years as cheaper bandwidth continues to become more available.

I still have my old 9600 baud dial-up modem out in the barn in case it goes the other way.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Depending on coverage:

- tmobile with binge on, doesn't count video streams against your cap, limited to 480p.
- att with directv online, doesn't count against your cap
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #48

In reading this thread it is quite apparent there is a lot of confusion going on and so I offer the following thoughts:

1. There is an old saying (those that have actually withstood the test of time) which says “those who think or believe they are free are often those who are the most oppressed”.

2. The US Constitution itself as well as its first amendment’s freedom of speech provision applies only to the actions of the government.

3. The anit-trust laws are hardly ever enforced these days and during the 1990’s mega mergers were permitted all but establishing certain monopolies which the anti-trust laws were specifically designed to prevent. The majority of the anti-trust laws can only be enforced by the government which it obviously has the discretion not to do.

4. Things certainly change over time and so all cell providers and cable companies should be classified finally as public utilities. This would make a whole series of laws designed to protect the consumer (us) also apply to cell and cable companies. Only the government can do this and so far it hasn’t.

5. The rah rah of a free society has been over for quite some time now While it is a cherished ideal and sounds good, see number 1 above. Not only is the vacuum cleaner of our wallets on high, just about everything you do or say or take a picture of, everywhere you go and everything you buy is monitored and available for the looking. It never goes away either

So that is my 2 cents

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #49

Here is my current set up.

At home I subscribe to Playstation Vue using Roku devices in 4 rooms. I live in the Seattle area and receive NBC and CBS local stations (We had Fox and lost that in Dec and gained NBC a week later). For ABC and now FOX Playstation has the On Demand versions so I still can watch shows from those channels. Playstation Vue has a DVR that we use extensively. Also Playstation Vue is recognized as a TVAnywhere subscriber so on my Rokus I load several channels like ESPN, DIY network and login using my Playstation VUe credentials.

I am currently snowbirding in the SW and have brought one Roku with me. I can not use the Playstation Vue App on the Roku directly as Playstation Vue limits the Roku to the location where the service is registered. They use geo ip location database to determine the location. However all of the individual channel apps still work. Also you can use the "mobile" Playstation Pue apps on laptops, tablets, phones, etc. However the first use must still be from the registered location. So we set up one phone and one tablet with the mobile Playstation Vue app that can cast to our Roku hooked to the tv. For internet we use a ATT mobley unlimited plan or a phone hotspot on Sprint. So far we have had success in two locations watching tv via this method.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet