Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2017, 02:18 AM   #1

TV over internet?

Researching TV options for upcoming transition to full time rving...

I see a lot of threads about sat TV. But my question is this: Is it possible to just get tv (including network channels) purely from the internet using things like Apple TV, net-flicks, Hulu, sling, network web sites, etc.? Why bother with satellite tv?
PJinHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2017, 03:11 AM   #2

Yes. Probably not local channels over the Internet. But you also have an OTA antenna for that.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:15 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
tv over internet

I used to get tv shows over the internet just by logging on to cbs.com, nbc.com, abc.com, etc, but then cbs, for instance, went to a system where you had to have a cable tv account to get their shows. Since I do not have a cable tv account, that cut me out of the picture so I just quit watching the networks. I do not know what is happening in the internet tv world now.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinHawaii View Post
Researching TV options for upcoming transition to full time rving...

....... Why bother with satellite tv?
Satellite TV still has a place in your entertainment options. Internet access is not available everywhere and if you camp some or a lot in remote areas, Sat Tv may be your best option for reliable TV access.

Lots of folks are going the internet route for TV and ditching Sat TV altogether. But be aware that the cost of internet TV can easily reach or exceed the cost of Sat TV depending on several factors. CG internet is not appropriate for TV access so a cellular hot spot will be necessary and they can get expensive if you watch a lot of TV. Add to that the cost of a live TV service like DirecTV Now or SlingTV and you will be close to the monthly cost for Sat TV, but again depending on how much you watch TV.

Cellular interent access can be spotty in many areas and some folks add a cellular booster to improve access - add $500 for that equip.

For me I use a combination of OTA TV access and a unlimited cellular data plan via AT&T Car Connect Plan plus we have a library of cheap Walmart bought DVD's. I also have a cellular booster and there are times I still can't get good enough internet for TV. The folks with Sat TV always have access as long as they don't park under a tree.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:35 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The internet option can be considered, which is how we do it at the homestead but on the road it might not be your best option. Two potential problems you will need to consider, 1. How will you be connected to the internet and 2. Will the connection support video streaming.

Campground internet can be marginal concerning how much data the network can support at one time. Usually you'll have no problems if you have a good signal and usage is light. But if you're camped too far from the access point and/or it's a busy time with lots of campers the service will be slow. Campgrounds can restrict you concerning accessing video streaming websites in an effort to keep their network functional.

Using a cell phone as a hot spot is another option but also not perfect. You'll find coverage maps from carriers are not as accurate as you might think. In other words unless you're camped in a more rural area signal strength and data service might not support video streaming. Also with using cell service HD video is a lot of data. Very easy to consume your monthly allowance or potentially get throttled. A high data subscription can cost as much as satellite service.

Choose carefully. As weekenders we live off free to air and either DVD's we own of checking them out for the local library. Might not be a viable option to a full timer but I've had very limited success getting a smart TV or a Firestick to work at the various camp grounds we've stayed that had internet available.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:21 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: Watching TV over the internet gets you good quality IF YOU HAVE THE BANDWIDTH... However it sucks a lot of bandwidth. Even at lower quality you can burn hundreds of MB per hour of watching.

And you do not get local OTA stations.

AND the FCC is changing some internet rules which may impact you as weklk,, (Impact al of us) You will have to check that out elsehere though,
Old 12-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think the easiest answer to your question is that it is far easier (and less expensive) to get satellite and OTA broadcasts than it is to get adequate broadband internet to watch TV over the internet.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #8

We have dish and use that for standard channels. We use cell data for netflix etc when we have a signal.

I wish there was a way to record netflix or amazon prime movies to our hard drive for when we don't have a good enough signal.
CarolynanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #9

In our opinion the internet is the only way to go to get TV. We use a Roku. There is a free app on the Roku for one of our local stations that provides us with all the local news. Otherwise we watch mostly Netflix and Amazon Prime on the Roku. We love that we don't have to miss an episode of our favorite programs or can binge watch if the plot is really good.

We have the AT&T Unlimited Choice plan and can get very good service most everywhere we go. We did stay in Tennessee for the eclipse and had absolutely no service at all, even for our phones. But that is a rare instance for us. (note: we are not full time)

We also get DirectvNow for $10/month from an AT&T offer. That has the network shows that we watch.

All-in-all it is a good deal.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #10

This is an ever changing landscape, you don't say when you will be making the transition to full timing, but if it is more than 6 months from now, any answer you get today may or may not be valid then.

Right now it is hard to get all of the primary networks streaming over the internet, and to do so requires subscriptions to multiple services, or at least it did when I last investigated this a month or so ago. CBS is doing their own thing with CBS All Access, some of the others are available on Sling, though it requires getting both Sling Blue and Sling Orange plus al la carte options. I saw just yesterday that Hulu has just introduced some sort of network access though I don't know the details. By contrast CW shows are available at no charge on Roku and perhaps other platforms through their own service.

The other side of the coin is getting a fast enough internet connection with enough monthly data allotment to watch these shows. I have a Roku and an AT&T Mobley with their 22 GB per month before throttling plan, which does fine for my streaming tv needs, though I don't full time, and don't tend to watch that much tv (an hour or so per day on average, maybe less depending on the season)
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynanBob View Post
We have dish and use that for standard channels. We use cell data for netflix etc when we have a signal.

I wish there was a way to record netflix or amazon prime movies to our hard drive for when we don't have a good enough signal.
If you have a fire tablet you can. download the moves and watch them whenever.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #12

With the upcoming dismemberment of Net Neutrality I'd be wary of depending on ant ISP for service.
Besides bandwidth is poor in most sites.
The sky is everywhere and satellite and terrestrial are the way to go.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
With the upcoming dismemberment of Net Neutrality I'd be wary of depending on ant ISP for service.
Besides bandwidth is poor in most sites.
The sky is everywhere and satellite and terrestrial are the way to go.
We will find out on the 14th after the vote what will happen with Net Neutrality. Who knows, it might have a positive effect!! Look at the deregulation of the trucking industry in the 80's, customers won although drivers lost!
Old 12-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverhome2 View Post
We will find out on the 14th after the vote what will happen with Net Neutrality. Who knows, it might have a positive effect!! Look at the deregulation of the trucking industry in the 80's, customers won although drivers lost!
Not so much.
Free speech and trucking regulation are quite far apart.
Does this mean you think the foreign truckers noe flooding North from Mexico in unregulated vehicles is a good thing?

Tags
internet