Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

TV Problems

I have a 2004 Infinity, it has analog tv with digital converter box. We used the MH a few weeks at a camp ground everything worked, except a few stations were fuzzy(to be expected). Went out again now no signals on any station, I tried another converter box, rescanned nothing. I tried a digital TV I had at home still nothing. Any suggestions. Thanks
Pops90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have one of the crank up "Batwing" antennas? You probably have an antenna power booster and it may be turned off.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I second rick, and add.. Or you popped a fuse or the coax went bad.

Part of the problem with ALL outdoor antennas is the coax goes bad over time,, Mine is now 9 years old and I'm thinking of replacing it soon. (Likely next Mother's day, about the 10 year point)

Inside the RV you have either a wall plate with switch, LED, 12 volt outlet and antenna connection

OR a box of many buttons separated into groups like "Main TV" VCR TV-2 TV-3 and in each group are a number of sources including ANTENNA (ANT) and CABLE and SAT.

The button on the left normally says POWER

On the above the LED must be on,, If it is not press the power button (The switch) if LED still off, check fuses.

The third options (Winegard) is a wall plate with 3 buttons, 2 digital displays and a column of LEDs but I do not think you have that, Pressing the TOP button should cause the displays to come live, You may have to press it twice They will shut off after a few minutes. but if you have to press it twice, the unit was turned off.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #4

Checked everything out again,I do have the batwing and also the box with all the buttons. Everything has power and still nothing, even if I turn the antenna for fine tune. I was wondering can a antenna go bad, this sudden. I appreciate the help. Thanks Bob
Old 07-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Probably a bad amp in the batwing. Mine died so what I did was put a Jack replacement for just the batwing. I liked it so much that I ordered and update to the Jack to replace the whole crankup assembly. When I get it installed I will just turn the antenna to maximum signal with with the built in meter and then set up the digital box. No crankup.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The contacts on the end of the coax at the batwing can also get some corrosion. It involves a visit to the roof with a screw driver and what ever you have to clean contacts, but it costs nothing to try.

An Outlaw owner did this just last month and went from a few channels to over 30 due to signal loss in the antenna head connection.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
While your up there checking the co-ax also check that there is 12v on that cable when your voltage is on.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes the antenna can go bad.

The Coax to the antenna can go bad (Usually from roof to antenna, USUALLY there is a connector at the roof line)

I have had the )(@#$*)@ end pull off the coax INSIDE the coach (I use better ends than the factory they do not pull off, of course the tool to put 'em on is 50 bucks).

And that is just 3 things.

one camper, Remember I mentioned a fitting at the roof line.. THAT went bad.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #9

I did a little checking, the antenna is windgard no.6004. Will this one have 12v on top. I don't have a wall switch as I was reading on different web sites. The only thing is the Windgard entertainment selector box where all the coax go. Right now I'm at a camp ground, heading home tomorrow so I can do more. Thanks for all the help. Bob
Old 07-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #10

I thought I share how I fixed my TV problem. After hours of checking, an checking coax cable. The end connection on the antenna lead looked funny inside where the main center wire was. I cut it off, replaced it, but that one wasn't right. pulled off. I noticed the small frayed wires looked funny, pulled them back and wrapped some aluminum foil on them put the end back on. The Tv worked again, I think the ground was lost. I took back the new antenna I bought. Then last week I traded the Infinity in for a new Allegro. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I said: The connectors they use (On the coax) are not that good. I see that was your problem.

Those are called Crimp on connectors. I have the proper tools to apply them but a better connector is a compression fitting, this has a plastic insert, depending on the brand you either put it in the metal part, then shove the coax in or it is pre-attached and you just shove the coax in, the thing is you do not push the plastic ALL THE WAY IN.

Then you put it in a special tool (About fifty bucks less you get a deal, which I did) and the plastic is pushed in all the way VERY FIRMLY gripping the coax.. it is easier to "Dress" the cable as well (prepare it)

I have been very impressed with these, they run about a buck a pop once you get the tool, and Ive used the tool enough to make it worth the cost.

Any time I do a custom cable this is the type of connector I use. Any time I fix a cable this is what I use.. Alas most factories.. Crimp on.