Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #1

TV swap questions

I am in the process of replacing the standard tube TV's with a couple LCD's. A 32" in front and 15" in the rear
I started to read some threads on here and it raised even more questions.
1) The WART? is this just for noise reduction? to house speakers? My rear TV had one so I assume that means it will play through the rear speakers?
2) Has anyone heard of LCD or LED's having a problem with the vibration of being mounted in a vehicle? I wouldnt think its a problem with so many mobile TV's for cars.
3) Can I use the TV (while traveling) off the house batteries and inverter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
paz

I will take a stab at answering some of your questions.

I'm not familiar with the term WART (except for the small growth I have on my foot), so I can't help with that one.

As far as vibration goes, there are plenty of LCD TVs (and some LED) now installed in RVs, and I have not heard of any problems with vibration. We upgraded our 2 TVs to LCD over 2 years ago and have traveled over 16,000 miles with no problems.

We never have the TV on while traveling, but we leave the inverter on all the time so the TVs have power in standby mode so they retain their memories while we travel. We have run our TVs off our MSW inverter while parked.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
#2.....no problems here with LEDs

#3 .... Yes, just be aware it's illegal if the driver can see it.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been traveling with our LCD in the rear for four years now and have had no problems. The front LED we have just purchased and can't make any comment on it but I'm sure it won't be any problem either.
As far as operating while in motion, you can do that but it can't be visible by the driver to be legal.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi greatlakes,
The main reason for the WART (commonly called "the brick") is to provide the correct power to the appliance. The external power WART is used because there was no way to include the power supply in the appliance. While unsightly, an advantage is the power supply can easily be replaced by the owner with a trip to Radio Shack. I have not seen a WART used for TVs as they have plenty of room for the power supply inside the TV.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Wall warts are the transformers used way too much to convert 120 AC to what ever your printer, dust buster... actually use.
I have had no interference from our LED's and the TV.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Both of our LED TVs came with WARTS. DH just cut them off and wired them into the 12vdc system.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
I am in the process of replacing the standard tube TV's with a couple LCD's. A 32" in front and 15" in the rear
I started to read some threads on here and it raised even more questions.
1) The WART? is this just for noise reduction? to house speakers? My rear TV had one so I assume that means it will play through the rear speakers?
2) Has anyone heard of LCD or LED's having a problem with the vibration of being mounted in a vehicle? I wouldnt think its a problem with so many mobile TV's for cars.
3) Can I use the TV (while traveling) off the house batteries and inverter.
Wall "warts" are the small, normally black block that plugs into the wall or 110VAC outlet to power a device. Whether a TV, stereo, or whatever, that is the term often used to define them. Look at one and it will say what the output voltage is. E.g., I have one for my TV that puts out 18V. I have another for a computer that puts out 20 VAC. Yet another for my electric screw driver puts out 9 VAC.

YMMV

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 'wart' I refer to in my Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long) posting is presumably a filter of some sort in the audio out cable from the TV (provided by Winnebago).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
The 'wart' I refer to in my Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long) posting is presumably a filter of some sort in the audio out cable from the TV (provided by Winnebago).
That 'wart' is an interference filter. It prevents noises emanating from the alternator, converter or inverter from coming in on the power line.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
What you have is a ferrite EMI/RFI filter and it is ok to leave as is.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote