Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 AM   #1

tv tech help

i'm having a problem with a hum in my bed/outside tv's. we have a sd direct tv dvr feeding all tv's. front tv is fed via hdmi cable with no audio problems. the bed and patio tv's are being fed by s and rca audio cables to a rf modulator and passed on via rj6 cable to the tv's. any help or thoughts on this would be appreciated jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
shot in the dark

I'm not a big tech guy, but some thoughts:

No hum thru the HDMI is probably because it is digital and not picking up RF interferance.

Other hum is probably an RF being picked up, like an antenna, since that is all analog connectivity. You could try different ground points. In audio systems hum is always a ground problem. Is the RF module groundable? Not sure what RJ6 is.

If the hum sounds moderately low in pitch and constant its probably a 60 Hz feed and the tv may need grounding. If its different, then the wire acting as an antenna is more likely.

Hopefully a smarter guy than me will answer.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Jim

I put one of these on the input of the modulator Amazon.com: Raptor GL15 Ground Loop Isolator: Automotive and the hum went away. What you probably have is a ground loop and this is made to eliminate that kind of hum.
Worst case you may need one of these as well http://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Vol..._bxgy_e_text_b dut try the Audio Transformer first. The AC Isolator is expensive.

Dick
Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #4

thanks! to both of you i will move forward and try these solutions. thanks again for your response jim
Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #5

If what Dick suggests doesn't work (but it's usually the culprit), you might need an RF isolator between the modulator and TV. That's easily made by attaching 2ea. 75<>300ohm transformers back to back (tying the 300 ohm leads together) and see how that does ya.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:30 AM   #6

i picked up the parts yesterday and am heading over to the mh this am. can't wait to try it! thanks again. jim