Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #1

Under Coach LED's

I got bored and decided to order about 110' (6 rolls) of LED lighting that I will install underneath my coach. The led's have an array of colors to select from and I can dim to various levels as well. If I want to get crazy there are light show modes too! The lights are 12V DC and operate via an RF remote control. The LED strips are very narrow and have an extremely low profile and are waterproof. Anybody else have this done to theirs? Interested to see how you like them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[QUOTE="dukenrock"]I got bored and decided to order about 110' (6 rolls) of LED lighting that I will install underneath my coach./QUOTE]

Care to share the specifics?

Source?

Specific info?

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you ever park out west, particularly the desert area, those lights will come in handy. If you keep them on at night the pack rats don't like them and won't get up under your coach and chew wires. They love that coating.

That reminds me of the 60's when we would install lights in our wheel wells and raise up the suspensions so it would look cool at night with colored lights underneath our cars. I would love to do that to my MH.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Add a subwoofer an a wing while you are at it. . Nice.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #5

The lights come in 16'5" segments. The controller is what turns the LED's On/Off, changes the colors and flash rates of the LED's. Only one controller is used for as many segments you desire, but an amplifier is required for each additional segment beyond the first segment. (Power Supply/Controller/LED strip 1-AMP 1 / LED strip 2-AMP 2 / LED strip 3-AMP 3 / LED strip 4 etc) The amplifier has an input, output and 12V DC connection. The amplifiers are not waterproof so when laying out your light segments, try to get it so that where ever an amplifier is, you can mount it inside a bay. I chose to purchase a main 12V power supply that I will mount next to my controller, and run a 12V power wire alongside the LED's and connect to the amps where needed. The power supply is large enough to run up to 7 segments and 4 amps. I think this will simplify any troubleshooting down the road if I run into any issues. (You can run separate power supplies to each amp if desired) The LED strips have a 3M tape that allows you to stick to the underside. I will also be dabbing some silicone every few feet over the LED's and to whatever the LED is attached to. I also purchased some clamps that fit directly over the LED strip and allows me to fasten it to something utilizing screws. I won't know if I'll be using those until I know what the LED strip will be attached to, but I bought 30 of them just in case they may work. For making corners, there is a pre-made 1' connector that allows you to cut the LED strip when you come up to a required 90 degree turn, insert the cut strip into this connector, make the turn with the 1' connector, and plug the other LED strip into the other end of the connector. I expect the install should be fairly easy, and I'll probably spend some time laying out where to put the amps and controller to determine where I drill from underneath into the bays. Oh, and if you really want to get crazy, you can add a device that will synchronize the light display to whatever music you are playing!!

Got them from Greg at From Trees to These in Decatur, IN.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #6

I used plain jane LED rope light at about $15 per 25 feet roll. It is already indoor/outdoor UL rated. White or multi-colored is available. I found white to be just right to illuminate my general camp area.

At first I just nylon tied the rope directly to the frame rails but found that over time it would sag a little between ties and the LED bulbs were directly visible from the side. Then I got smart and silicone caulked the rope into what's called a plastic drywall j-molding (about $2/10ft strip at big box hardware) and then nylon tied that assembly to the frame rails. The j-molding added structural rigidity to the rope (it is a perfect fit for the rope as well) and made for a side-view light hood/shade.

Viola, no more sag, a more focused illumination pattern with the light projecting straight down and the LED bulbs can't be seen from the side.

All that for less $50 and a couple hours work.

I ran a waterproof 120v outlet underneath the rig to plug the rope lights into. I also added a waterproof remote control on/off switch though leaving LED rope lights on all the time is just a couple 12VDC amps through the inverter.

Drywall j-molding
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I insalled led rope similar to Ottffss above except for J channel, I used rubber grommet clamps from Home depot and screwed to bay steel frame every 18" or so. added a switch at at entry door and switched half of outlet in rear bay, i like the idea of j channel to keep light from spreading , noticed lite kinda, sorta shines out the backside of MH, although I have had no complaints as of yet, but quite a few wanting to know what I am using on underside. not sure what op cost are but rope was around 85.00 for 2 pieces at HD and a couple hours labor (free). installed rope from front to back about 40' total. DW loves the look, and ease of turning on switch at night.
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Add a subwoofer an a wing while you are at it. . Nice.
Don't forget the fart can.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Don't forget the fart can.
I have read this thread from #1 on and have yet to see where in heck you can purchase these lights. Is it a secret?

And WTH is a fart can?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club

In post #5 above

Not sure what a fart can is. Could it be a whoopie cushion.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post

In post #5 above

Not sure what a fart can is. Could it be a whoopie cushion.
I think he's talking about those rice burner exhausts you see on some Japanese imported cars.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #12

OP seems to have gotten them as stated above.

LED rope is available just about anywhere now - make sure it says LED. BigBox hardware, WalMart, and a great source are all the price club type stores. The price keeps dropping (about $15/25ft) and make sure to get LED not the traditional incandescent rope.

Shop around as some brands of LED ropes have more LEDs/foot than other brands. One way to compare is to open the box and look at the UL label on the plug end of the rope and look for the highest wattage/amperage (which will be miniscule) brand. Again, make sure to compare LED to LED.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

A few years back I added regular rope lights to the casings for both slide out toppers and under the large slide... all on the patio side. We really like the look and (as mentioned) having them under the coach is good to keep critters (including coyotes) away.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
I think he's talking about those rice burner exhausts you see on some Japanese imported cars.
Bingo, we have a winner.

I looked for the LED strip lights at the Good Sam Rally and didn't find any. I want the 12v ones that you can cut every 3 LEDs.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote