Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

Upgrade suggestions from old TVs

Hello All,
We have a 1990 HMC 33' Motor Home. It has the old, small, analog (i believe) TVs in the nice oak boxes. One top/center above the dash, the other in a top corner in the bedroom. I am looking for ideas on how to switch to a new flatscreen TV and more specifically how to mount them without a complete remodel. I am very handy and will remodel if i have to. I just don't want to because the original oak cabinetry is in perfect condition still. Any ideas will be appreciated!
Thank you!
Billhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 07:24 PM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
Don't know your RV, but on ours I removed the oak boxes bought enough oak to to enclose the old openings and mounted the tv's with articulating brackets. We were able to use a 32" flat screen in front which makes for great viewing in our 32.5' RV. Our oak was natural finish so all the new wood needed was some spray on polyurethane. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This is what we did. Maybe it will give you some ideas!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a coach similar to MSHappyCampers.

I decided to leave the original box in place to utilize the storage space. I found a flat screen TV that would fit into the cabinet face. To mount it I bought a square aluminum baluster with mounts at Lowes. I bought an articulating swing away TV wall mount and after some measuring I installed this the baluster in a vertical position far enough back to allow for the TV mount and offset to one side allow for the correct positioning of the TV when pushed all the way in.

I wanted to make sure the TV was secure while traveling so I used screen window clips around the perimeter that I can turn to lock the TV into travel position.

In the box behind the TV I installed a shelf that DVD's and CD's fit nicely in and on the bottom of the box we store other things. Lots of good storage space. All of the space is easily accessible when the TV is swung out. If I want I and also swing the TV out an turn it so I can sit outside in a chair and watch the TV if the weather is nice or while BBQ'ing.

I did something similar in the bedroom and use the storage behind the TV for toilet paper and paper towels.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Just an option for mounting - MOR/ryde makes some very well built TV mounts - had 3 in my last RV and all worked very well. I like them because they have a pin lock so the TV will not move while moving but they are a little pricey.

MOR/ryde MORyde TV1-006H Extending Swivel TV Wall Mount
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MORryde TV1-025H Extending Swivel TV Wall Mount - Small
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade