Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Upgrading Dash Radio - Mechanical Issues

I removed the existing dash radio from my 2005 Phaeton today. It was a Ford (supposedly the same as used on the 2005 F-150). I was surprised that there wasn't a mounting bracket, just a 3 1/2 x 7 hole in the dash. The radio was apparently held to the dash by just the spring devices that one releases with the tools that look like overgrown bobby pins.

My new radio (JVC KW-HDR81BT) is 4 3/16 x 7 1/8. It looks like there is plenty of room to enlarge the hole. I was thinking of marking the cut with masking tape then use a side-cut bit in my Dremmel to enlarge the hole. Does this sound OK?

I also am trying to figure out how to hold the new radio to the dash. I have a Metra installation kit for Fords, but haven't yet figured out how to secure it to the dash. Before I get too deep, has anyone performed this upgrade?

Also, is this the right forum,or should I post in either the Tiffin or Freightliner area since the answer is likely to be dashboard-material specific?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well... Good luck using a dremel that way.. They can be a touch hard to control.. A nibbler might be better if the material is thin enough.

But yes.. that is basically how you do it.

Make sure you do not cut beyond what the radio's "Trim" will cover.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Using a mounting sleeve, if one is available to fit your radio, would be the way to go. These sleeves slide in the opening, then metal tabs are bent down to lock it in place. The radio then slides into the sleeve and spring clips lock it in place. The radio is released by using wire or flat metal tools to push the clips to unlock.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #4

First step is to return that piece of junk JVC unit and then buy a pioneer unit. Then buy a mounting sleeve like the other guy said. On my fourth JVC unit and have swore them off for life. Nothing but problems. Kept using them because I was too lazy to change connectors. Finally bought a nice Pioneer unit, dvd receiver. Best move ever. Sound is tons better than any of my previous JVC units.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #5

Every auto stereo I have ever purchased came with a mounting sleeve

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annierufus View Post
Every auto stereo I have ever purchased came with a mounting sleeve

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
JVC has recently stopped supplying then with new radios.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #7

I'm going out on a limb and assuming the old radio was a Visteon.. Like I replaced, but with a Pioneer AVH 4000NEX lots of extras (Amazon 559 bucks) you would also need a Pioneer ADT-VA133 (Install Kit) Amazon 32 bucks and the Sirius Radio kit XSV200 (42 bucks) Amazon and Wah Lah easy fix, wires are color coded the same you can also add GPS and run your back up camera through it, I give it 10 **********
Old 09-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. The radio DID come with a mounting sleeve, I had just set it aside and forgotten about it. It attaches to the radio with 4 small screws. The flange on the sleeve is only 1/16 inch, which will require a more precise cut than I can do with the side cutting Dremmel bit, even with the router attachment. I'm thinking of the cutoff saw. I'm not familiar with a nibbler, but I'll do some research.

Pirate - I have a Kenwood and had some startup problems with it, but I really like it now. The new JVC is simpler (no GPS), so hopefully JVCKenwood is capable of making decent firmware for it. Don't care about Sirius or iPhone. I bought the radio because 1) front panel USB, 2) HD radio (There is a great smokey old soul station in Tampa on HD2; HD1 on the same frequency has some of the vilest rap crap I have ever heard), 3) Bluetooth connectivity to stream from my Droid.

I'm on my way to Wally World to get a different harness. The one from Crutchfield isn't the right one. I hope to finish this up next week, so I'll post some pix whether it turns out well or not so well.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
How much do you have to trim? I've used flat files from coarse to fine to enlarge many a hole.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Hit a Snag

So I went to the storage lot to mark where I needed to cut. After I marked the cut, I ran my fingers around the area on the inside of the dash to make sure there wasn't anything important in the way. Unfortunately I found that the top piece of the dash has a flange that curves down the dash panel, basically keeping me from enlarging that hole enough to install the new device. I'm thinking that I will have to opt for a single-DIN device and figure out a way to dress up the remaining opening.

Any ideas?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
When I took out a CRT rear camera monitor and replaced it with a rectangular LED one, I had to fill the space under the monitor. I used a piece of beige plastic. I warmed it up and molded it into a curved shape that fills the space and provides a place to keep a pen for jotting things down.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
When I took out a CRT rear camera monitor and replaced it with a rectangular LED one, I had to fill the space under the monitor. I used a piece of beige plastic. I warmed it up and molded it into a curved shape that fills the space and provides a place to keep a pen for jotting things down.
Clever
Old 09-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #13

My radio was real low. Couldn't even see it. Moved back up monitor to right behind driver visor with a perfect angle to my view. Moved double din radio up to dash spot where back up monitor was. Filled in old double din area with a couple of "containers" to hold sun glasses, etc.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Payback for all the advice

Thanks for all the advice. In case someone finds this thread in the future, I wanted to write up how this upgrade ended. I took the removed Ford radio to Best Buy. The salesman knew immediately what was needed, and went to the pegs and handed me a Metra IBR-WHFD3 and a Metra IBR-586FD. He called the Ford a "DIN-and-a-half" radio. As you can see from the picture, there is a small storage shelf above the single-DIN replacement radio.

The wiring harness worked perfectly, just soldered like-to-like colors. The height of the mounting bracket was perfect, but I had to enlarge the width by about a sixteenth of an inch. After that, the assembly snapped into place and fit great.

Here's the result:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Radio.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	75027  

Tags
dash, radio