RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #1

Upgrading from Hopper 2 to Hopper 3

I am finally going to make an upgrade to a Hopper 3 on our motorhome. I have a Travel'r dish on the roof and have used a Hopper 2 with good success, but we upgraded the home today and I will be making a parallel change.
I have a good cabling diagram and believe I have the part numbers for the required hybrid switch and hub, but was surprised to see the technician changed the LNB's on our home dish. Does anybody know the part numbers for the new LNB's? I can climb up on the roof and get the details from our new parts, but it's not an ideal physical activity for me.
Thanks for your time!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Western Arc - ES201499 or ES217837-BRKT
Eastern Arc - ES201700 or ES218791-BRKT

hdflsts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:32 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a RF Mogul dish installed on the. The LNB it came with was for a Wally. I had to get a new LNB and hub to use my Hopper3.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
I am finally going to make an upgrade to a Hopper 3 on our motorhome. I have a Travel'r dish on the roof and have used a Hopper 2 with good success, but we upgraded the home today and I will be making a parallel change.
I have a good cabling diagram and believe I have the part numbers for the required hybrid switch and hub, but was surprised to see the technician changed the LNB's on our home dish. Does anybody know the part numbers for the new LNB's? I can climb up on the roof and get the details from our new parts, but it's not an ideal physical activity for me.
Changing LNBFs is the easiest (and cheapest) way to install a Hopper 3 in a household . . . but not in an RV.

You just attach a DPH42 switch to your current Winegard Travler, like so . . .

Old 07-27-2019, 07:42 AM   #5

Thanks to everyone for your comments and responses! I have a dangerous amount of knowledge in this area so your input is very helpful.
Techwriter, I had assumed that I would exactly mimic what the technician installed at our home, which I thought would be just what you've provided in the diagram. He changed the LNB's, so no doubt has done something different here at the house.
To be clear, my understanding is that if I follow the diagram you've provided then a Hopper 3 (and 1 Joey) will work well without changing the original LNB's that are on my Travel'r which have worked with my Hopper 2. Correct?
Old 07-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
To be clear, my understanding is that if I follow the diagram you've provided then a Hopper 3 (and 1 Joey) will work well without changing the original LNB's that are on my Travel'r which have worked with my Hopper 2. Correct?
Yep.

Quote:
I had assumed that I would exactly mimic what the technician installed at our home, which I thought would be just what you've provided in the diagram. He changed the LNB's, so no doubt has done something different here at the house.
What's good for your house is not necessarily good for your RV.

However, if you carry a portable tripod (like me) for when you're parked under trees, then you set up your RV tripod like your house system (like below):

Old 07-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #7

Thanks again for your time and help!
Old 08-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #8

In the process of converting the Travlr, I see the LNB has 3 cables instead of one like the DirecTV. They are green, red and black. They connect to A,B, and C in the bottom of the turret. I thought I read somewhere that they need to be connected correctly to make everything work right. Can someone help with the connection sequence? Thanks. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
In the process of converting the Travlr, I see the LNB has 3 cables instead of one like the DirecTV. They are green, red and black. They connect to A,B, and C in the bottom of the turret. I thought I read somewhere that they need to be connected correctly to make everything work right. Can someone help with the connection sequence? Thanks. Chuck
Old 08-23-2019, 04:58 AM   #10

Techwriter, Everyone keeps showing me these connections. That is NOT what I need. The LNB has 3 coax that are color-coded black, green, and red. They connect to A, B, and C vertical ports on the turret. I need to know which port the black coax connects to. Which port the green connect to. Which port the red connects to. The coax I'm asking about is hidden in your photo on the right side of the turret. Chuck
Old 08-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
The LNB has 3 coax that are color-coded black, green, and red. They connect to A, B, and C vertical ports on the turret. I need to know which port the black coax connects to. Which port the green connect to. Which port the red connects to. The coax I'm asking about is hidden in your photo on the right side of the turret.
If you're installing the default DISH Pro Plus (DPP) LNBF, then it doesn't matter.

If you're installing a DISH Pro Hybrid LNBF (not recommended), then it does matter:

Old 08-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #12

Sorry, I guess I am installing the Dish Pro Plus since that is what Winegard sent me and I have an older dish. Chuck