RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Joe-

I upgraded three computers from Window 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro in June. I was pleasantly surprised. They were the smoothest upgrades I have experienced.

I elected to upgrade before Windows 7 support ends (01/14/2020).

The Windows 10 user interface is quite different than Windows 7. It has taken me some time to both get used to it and to adjust it so that it works more to my liking.

If you are currently using Windows 7 Home then the version for you would likely be Windows 10 Home (not Pro). A Windows 10 Home license is $139 from Microsoft (link here) or $139.99 at Best Buy (link here). If you go that route, I suggest getting the USB version, rather than downloading.

Here is a link to an article on how to obtain a Windows 10 upgrade at no cost. I know someone who went that route and it worked for him.
How can I tell which version Windows 7 I have?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #16
Lit

National RV Owners Club
I maintain 5 PC's, 4 have Windows 7 the newest PC is 1 year old it has Win 10. Repeating was already said "I can never find anything on it" that is very frustrating for me, it also seems to boot slower. Some of my older programs will not run on Win 10 no matter what I do. I use my PC to send and receive E-mail and to browse the net I don't plan on upgrading all my PC's, because I don't care for the new system...Oh, yesterday the PC with Win 10 crashed so I may never use it again. Some people like it, some people don't! Maybe it's time to use my Mac.

Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #17

Ignore the naysayers, follow your gut and the advice of people in the industry like LO-TEK and me. You already know support ends for Windows 7 in January.

Windows 10 is a mature Operating System and the only issues you may have would be related to extremely old hardware or software.

You do not need to spend any money; you can still upgrade a legitimate Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 at no cost using Microsoft's windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Go to:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

With these instructions:
Quote:
Using the tool to upgrade this PC to Windows 10 (click to show more or less information)
Here’s when to use these instructions:

You have a license to install Windows 10 and are upgrading this PC from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
You need to reinstall Windows 10 on a PC you’ve already successfully activated Windows 10.
If you are installing Windows 10 on a PC running Windows XP or Windows Vista, or if you need to create installation media to install Windows 10 on a different PC, see Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC section below.

Note: Before you install Windows 10, check to make sure your PC meets the system requirements for Windows 10. We also recommend going to the PC manufacturer's website for any additional info about updated drivers and hardware compatibility.

Select Download tool, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.
On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.
On the What do you want to do? page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.
After downloading and installing, the tool will walk you through how to set up Windows 10 on your PC. All Windows 10 editions are available when you select Windows 10, except for Enterprise edition. For more information on Enterprise edition, go to the Volume Licensing Service Center.

If you don't have a license to install Windows 10 and have not yet previously upgraded to it, you can purchase a copy here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-10.
If you previously upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC and you’re reinstalling it, you don’t need to enter a product key. Your copy of Windows 10 will automatically activate later using your digital license.
When Windows 10 is ready to install, you’ll see a recap of what you’ve chosen, and what will be kept through the upgrade. Select Change what to keep to set whether you would like to Keep personal files and apps, or Keep personal files only, or choose to keep Nothing during the upgrade.
Save and close any open apps and files you may be running, and when you’re ready, select Install.
It might take some time to install Windows 10, and your PC will restart a few times. Make sure you don’t turn off your PC.
From this page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

If you have a legitimate license on your Windows 7 PC you have a license to install Windows 10.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #18

If your computer came with Windows 7, then it's probably too slow to run window 10.

What apps do you run on it?

My suggestion is to buy a new computer already installed with Windows 10. Or better yet, buy a chrome book if you only use it on the web.
Jerryss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #19

Switch to Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
I, like many others, have used Windows 7 for years. I like it and I am comfortable with it. DW has Windows 10 on her laptop. I hate it. I can never find anything on her computer when she is stuck or asks for help.
Both of my computers (desktop and laptop) are not upgradeable to Windows 10. So, I’m faced with replacing one or both with a new computer.
Have I said I hate Windows 10?
My options, as I see it are, 1. Buy another “Windows” computer. 2. Get a new computer with a “Linux” operating system or 3 Go with a Mac. The Mac option is interesting because I use an IPad and I phone daily. Transitioning might not be too bad. But, I’d have to convert some of the programs I use such as Quicken and Family Tree Maker.
The main idea of leaving a Microsoft operating system is I don’t trust Microsoft anymore. They keep fixing things that aren’t broke.
My other option is to stay with Windows 7 and hope for the best. I’m getting to old for all these changes.
Anyone else considered switching?
Re: Option 2 - another option is to put Linux on the machines you have - it no longer requires the level of geekness that it used to - I've been running Ubuntu Linux for several years and have no desire to go back to any version of Windoze. There are free Linux software packages that match or better the windows stuff and there is no bloatware loaded with the Linux systems so your machines will run faster and the operating system will use less space on your hard drives. My GF bought a new laptop a few years ago with Win 10 on it and she and I both got tired of the hassle of using it. I put Ubuntu Linux on it and it boots faster, runs faster, and doesn't hide things like Win 10 seems to do. Take a look at Ubuntu Linux you might like it. Oh, and it's all free. And there is a worldwide community providing free support for any problems you might run in to but I've had very few problems with it on any machine.
johninsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #20

Hey Joe, I have 3 HP Elitebook 8440P Laptops. They are solid machines in metal cases. They work fine for what I do (nothing speed/memory intensive). They do NOT like Win10 !! My (not very old) printer does NOT like Win10. I'll run Win7 until the laptops go belly-up and then get new laptops with Win10 .... why spend the money now?
Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryss2 View Post
If your computer came with Windows 7, then it's probably too slow to run window 10.

My suggestion is to buy a new computer already installed with Windows 10. Or better yet, buy a chrome book if you only use it on the web.

If you'd said XP, I'd agree with you. The machine I use for web forums is a Core2 Duo Lenovo Think Pad, 4 GB Ram, 120 GB SSD, and Win 10 runs well enough. It's about 10 years old.

Google's Chrome browser is effectively advertising stalker-ware, there was a good write up in the Washington Post a few weeks ago about it. I recommend Firefox with NoScript security suite.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #22

use the tip part of the upgrade
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
How can I tell which version Windows 7 I have?
Click on this link, then select "Windows 7" or "All Products" in the box below "Select Product Version."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...n-am-i-running
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #24
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Joel, what's your opinion of Windows 10?
Joe:

We use Windows 10 in both our laptops without any issues. Sure, it is different from Windows 7, but being different, itself, isn't a deficiency. Does it offer a lot of new features compared to Windows 7--not really, but it does have support for things such as Bluetooth which I don't think even existed during the era of Win 7. It is a mature, very stable operating system and, personally, I would ignore people who tell you it is unstable, etc. However, as I noted below, it does require compatible hardware and drivers which may be the reason some people complain of instabilities.

Personally, I wouldn't use Windows 7 after Microsoft stops supporting it. Hacking is a real-world concern and not having anyone supporting the software means that sooner or later hackers will find vulnerabilities that won't get fixed. It may not happen for a while, but eventually it is inevitable.

As someone else already mentioned, you will need to test your system for compatibility with Windows 10 since it is so old. Some of your hardware will probably need updated drivers and some of it may not have available compatible drivers at all. That would be your first step in the process.

Joel (AKA docj)
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:33 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
I agree with Mr. Green D. Unless you are having problems with Windows 7, I would stay with it, especially if you have older laptops. Windows 10 has some quirky maintenance apps that eat up allocated disk space for the processor. I have two laptops with Windows 10, one old and one new. Both have the same issue of allocated disk space running at 100% when doing scheduled updates and doing system housekeeping during the first 15 to 30 minutes after startup. Running processor allocated disk space at 100% slows the laptops to a crawl.

I liked Windows 7 and would have preferred to stay with it, but they slipped the Windows 10 update into my regular scheduled updates and the next thing I knew, my old laptop was using Windows 10. I liked the Virtual Windows XP that came with the original version of Windows 7.

One note, Microsoft will discontinue support of Windows 7 sometime next year. The last date I saw was for sometime in January.

Carl
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Ignore the naysayers, follow your gut and the advice of people in the industry like LO-TEK and me. You already know support ends for Windows 7 in January.

Windows 10 is a mature Operating System and the only issues you may have would be related to extremely old hardware or software.

You do not need to spend any money; you can still upgrade a legitimate Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 at no cost using Microsoft's windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Go to:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

With these instructions:

From this page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

If you have a legitimate license on your Windows 7 PC you have a license to install Windows 10.
And me. 16 years application and system programming on mainframe, mid-range, PC, and network/client-server platforms. Retired early in 2004 after IT went from professional to skilled labor. Corporate America started buying canned software and hired coders to modify the programs, if the corporation was luck enough to get a beta version or the source code. Otherwise, the corporation had to change its business model to fit the software instead of creating the software to fit the business model.

tfryman,
I agree with you on all points. However, unless a person has the knowledge to troubleshoot, modify the operating system, and/or recover their system if a problem arose that was unrecoverable, it would be best to keep Windows 7 and plan to buy a newer Windows 10 computer in the near future.

Windows 7 Home OEM preinstalled ended in 2014, Pro OEM 2016. I'm guessing that would make the laptops at least 3 years old, more like over 5 years old. I would have no problem myself upgrading to Windows 10 because I could reformat the hard drive and reload the operating system and apps if need be. I still remember the early Windows days when you had to reload Windows 95 regularly to keep the PC running. However, the average PC user is the plug-n-play type. No idea what goes on behind the screen.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:51 AM   #26

Stay with 7. Win 10 is terrible especially in an RV situation where it without notice will start a huge update download and then lockup because there is not enough speed or bandwidth on your WIFI or cell connection.
az99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryss2 View Post

Jerry beat me to it. New laptops are not that expensive. Normally, I'm all about saving money, but in this case instead of throwing upgrade money at an old one I'd just spend a bit more on a new one. Then you've got the old one that you're comfortable with to use while familiarizing yourself with the new one.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Stay with 7. Win 10 is terrible especially in an RV situation where it without notice will start a huge update download and then lockup because there is not enough speed or bandwidth on your WIFI or cell connection.

Use metered connections.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-in-windows-10

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window