RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Upgrading to Windows 10

I have Windows 7 on two laptops and thinking about upgrading to Windows 10. Is that any problem and what would it cost me?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
I would stay with 7

Ive had a lot of trouble with 10.
But I'm the type of guy who likes what is working and not creating problems.
I wasn't able to stop mine from updating or i would have.

Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I agree with Mr. Green D. Unless you are having problems with Windows 7, I would stay with it, especially if you have older laptops. Windows 10 has some quirky maintenance apps that eat up allocated disk space for the processor. I have two laptops with Windows 10, one old and one new. Both have the same issue of allocated disk space running at 100% when doing scheduled updates and doing system housekeeping during the first 15 to 30 minutes after startup. Running processor allocated disk space at 100% slows the laptops to a crawl.

I liked Windows 7 and would have preferred to stay with it, but they slipped the Windows 10 update into my regular scheduled updates and the next thing I knew, my old laptop was using Windows 10. I liked the Virtual Windows XP that came with the original version of Windows 7.

One note, Microsoft will discontinue support of Windows 7 sometime next year. The last date I saw was for sometime in January.

Carl
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:50 PM   #4

Upgrade Now

My suggestion, as someone in the industry, is upgrade now. Windows 7 is a ten year old operating system. You are not secure.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...rt-information
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I have Windows 7 on two laptops and thinking about upgrading to Windows 10. Is that any problem and what would it cost me?

Micro$oft offered the free Win10 update over a year ago but there are reports that you can still install it for free. I suggest a web search regarding this.

There is an online license seller, scdkey.com that sells OEM Win10 Pro keys for around $20 if you can't do a free upgrade.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I, like many others, have used Windows 7 for years. I like it and I am comfortable with it. DW has Windows 10 on her laptop. I hate it. I can never find anything on her computer when she is stuck or asks for help.
Both of my computers (desktop and laptop) are not upgradeable to Windows 10. So, I’m faced with replacing one or both with a new computer.
Have I said I hate Windows 10?
My options, as I see it are, 1. Buy another “Windows” computer. 2. Get a new computer with a “Linux” operating system or 3 Go with a Mac. The Mac option is interesting because I use an IPad and I phone daily. Transitioning might not be too bad. But, I’d have to convert some of the programs I use such as Quicken and Family Tree Maker.
The main idea of leaving a Microsoft operating system is I don’t trust Microsoft anymore. They keep fixing things that aren’t broke.
My other option is to stay with Windows 7 and hope for the best. I’m getting to old for all these changes.
Anyone else considered switching?
Old 08-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Micro$oft offered the free Win10 update over a year ago but there are reports that you can still install it for free. I suggest a web search regarding this.

There is an online license seller, scdkey.com that sells OEM Win10 Pro keys for around $20 if you can't do a free upgrade.
I went to that site but couldn't find any mention of Windows 10. I put it in their searchbox too.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I appreciate your comments! I really like Windows 7 but was concerned when I heard that they will no longer support it sometime this year. Guess I can just depend on Bitdefender to keep me out of trouble!

Old 08-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I went to that site but couldn't find any mention of Windows 10. I put it in their searchbox too.

Hi Joe-

Took a bit of google-foo. Try this link.

https://m.scdkey.com/microsoft-windo...l_1227-20.html
Old 08-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Here's a step by step guide to upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10: https://pureinfotech.com/upgrade-to-...rom-windows-7/

The only cost is the Windows 10 license.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Here's a step by step guide to upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10: https://pureinfotech.com/upgrade-to-...rom-windows-7/

The only cost is the Windows 10 license.
Joel, what's your opinion of Windows 10?

Old 08-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Hi Joe-

Took a bit of google-foo. Try this link.

https://m.scdkey.com/microsoft-windo...l_1227-20.html
Thanks!

Old 08-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #13

upgrade I am running 1903 and thinking its much better than 7
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Joe-

I upgraded three computers from Window 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro in June. I was pleasantly surprised. They were the smoothest upgrades I have experienced.

I elected to upgrade before Windows 7 support ends (01/14/2020).

The Windows 10 user interface is quite different than Windows 7. It has taken me some time to both get used to it and to adjust it so that it works more to my liking.

If you are currently using Windows 7 Home then the version for you would likely be Windows 10 Home (not Pro). A Windows 10 Home license is $139 from Microsoft (link here) or $139.99 at Best Buy (link here). If you go that route, I suggest getting the USB version, rather than downloading.

Here is a link to an article on how to obtain a Windows 10 upgrade at no cost. I know someone who went that route and it worked for him. I did not go that route. I wanted to be sure that I had valid Windows 10 licenses for my computers.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window