RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #1

Use Verizon Jetpack for DirecTV OnDemand Internet?

I've searched the forum and info from AT&T. AT&T specifically says broadband internet. Will OnDemand work by connecting to my Jetpack WiFi (assuming we have a decent Verizon signal)? Or will it be too slow and keep buffering?

We know we need a CCK (Cinema Connection Kit) but before we purchase one I wanted to know if it was worth it. There were 3 other devices they showed; I have not yet researched pros and cons of those. So if anyone was info or opinions on those that would be appreciated.

Addt'l info: Have had DirecTV for years, so when we sold our S&B and went full time, we added a Winegard Travlr to our coach and took our HD receiver with us. We just upgraded to a HD DVR, just never got around to it before. Been on the road for about a year and move every couple of weeks. Since we left the northeast I call and change the service address to get local channels. It takes 20 minutes or so on the phone. It is worth it to us for the convenience of not switching to OTA or cable (if there is any).

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 05:42 AM   #2

I had a JetPack given to me and when I went to Verizon to activate it, they said it was PRE-PAID and for me to get it switched to our post-paid account I would have to activate it as Pre-Paid again (either $55 or $60) for one month, which I did.

The representative at the VERIZON owned store (not an authorized reseller) told me and GUARANTEED me that with a JetPack ("since it is ONLY used for streaming" he said) I would have 100% unlimited streaming...no throttling back.

WRONG!!

He lied.

After I switched to post-paid the first month was fine, because I didn't use it much. Second month, I hit the 15 Gb limit and it slowed to 600 kbps - which is impossible to stream with. That's pretty much 1X or 2G speeds and worthless on a streaming device.

I shut cancelled it, complained to Verizon and they said they'd get with that rep and better educate him.

If you can live with 15 Gb per month in streaming, it'll likely work for you fine, as long as you have a decent Verizon signal.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with that but noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
verizon did have a special with the jet pack with no throttling but it ended last month mine works fine sometimes you can find grandfathered ones on ebay I have both
Old 07-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #5

Verizon eliminated their Unlimited plan about 2 months ago. Anyone who had the plan previously is grandfathered in, provided there is no lapse in service.

Our experience with the service and latest greatest Jetpack is that the picture quality is unwatchable with either the Roku or Firestick, even on a new 32 TV. We watched programs on Netflix, Amazon and NBC Sports Gold. The image was grainy with frequent pixelation and buffering. It was a waste of time and money.
Id love for it to have been a success, but that wasnt the case. As noted, the service is dependent on a cellular signal, which is not always present in an RV.

Weve had DTV for years. When the contract expires in January we will most likely switch to Dish for both the house and coach.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #6

To clarify my question further:
We've had the Jetpack since we started and places we have had a good signal, even with throttling, Netflix has been okay. Had to wait a couple of minutes in the beginning for it to finish buffering then usually could watch a movie with no interruptions.

My question is whether OnDemand will work as well as Netflix or does it need the 750kbps that AT&T says it needs?
RamblingRoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #7

Thanks! This has been my go to place for questions and usually find the answer.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #8

I was excited to jump on the VZW unlimited pre-paid plan. I bought an open box 7730L, got the SIM and plan and went camping. I tested 20Mbps download and watched Hulu and Sling for 10 days with no problem. Once home, I couldn't get 1Mbps as VZW has no 4G in our area.
It should work, but the hot spot is a variable. The 7730L and 8800 are much faster than most of the previous units because they use multiple bands. I also used a $30 Netgear MiMo antenna with mine which improved speeds. If you have a decent signal, you should have no trouble streaming 720/1080 as that only requires about 5Mbps speed. With less capable hot spots, who knows.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJShiflet View Post
I had a JetPack given to me and when I went to Verizon to activate it, they said it was PRE-PAID and for me to get it switched to our post-paid account I would have to activate it as Pre-Paid again (either $55 or $60) for one month, which I did.

The representative at the VERIZON owned store (not an authorized reseller) told me and GUARANTEED me that with a JetPack ("since it is ONLY used for streaming" he said) I would have 100% unlimited streaming...no throttling back.

WRONG!!

He lied.

After I switched to post-paid the first month was fine, because I didn't use it much. Second month, I hit the 15 Gb limit and it slowed to 600 kbps - which is impossible to stream with. That's pretty much 1X or 2G speeds and worthless on a streaming device.

I shut cancelled it, complained to Verizon and they said they'd get with that rep and better educate him.

If you can live with 15 Gb per month in streaming, it'll likely work for you fine, as long as you have a decent Verizon signal.

Yes, two years ago, my Jetpack died suddenly in southern Alabama. Stopped at a Verizon store to get a replacement. They had signs about unlimited data, and the guy specifically said it was unlimited. Big lie!! . After about two months all of a sudden the throttle cut in. Call it what it is ! False and misleading advertisement. Someone should have sued them over this!

TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, internet, verizon