Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Using a laptop for GPS

I found a site where I can purchase a program for maps, points of interest, and more. What else is needed to use a laptop for a GPS?
Subaru Outback, Cricket SW3
seasonedsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
What do you have for continuous communication with
the positioning satellites?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can buy MS Streets and Trips either with or without a receiver. There are also other receivers out there, one of my GPS units came with an external antenna also.
My new 7720 has a connector for an external antenna also.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You'll need a GPS receiver that connects to the Laptop, perhaps a Delorme USB GPS like this: Delorme Earthmate Lt 40 and An Earthmate GPS USB | eBay
I've used this set up with my laptop until I decided a dedicated Garmin GPS was more compact and worked as well with less distractions.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #5

Our son-in-law, who is VERY adept with electronic gadgetry, has abandoned use of his Garmin GPS in favor of the mapping function on his iPhone. He has actually built a holding bracket for the iPhone on the dashboard of his Range Rover.

Since we haven't bothered with smart phones (a phone is something you use to talk to people, IMO), I'm hoping I might be the recipient of a gift Garmin!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you, I was wondering what was needed for tracking. Thanks
Subaru Outback, Cricket SW3
seasonedsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have 2 Roadmate Magellens and I have never paid more than $100 for either one.
I'd think they are simpler to use than setting up the same in a lap top.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Doug!

My first mapping program was Microsoft Streets and Trips. It was nice because it was inexpensive, like about $30 for the program, and it allowed planning of trips. There are many many Points of Interest (POI) add-ons. The one that give you the best bang for the buck is the one provided by the Discovery Owners Club, called the MEGA POI (Search for it)

Now that said, it is only a mapping program in that form, but they have one that includes a "hockey puck" satellite antenna that you can suction to the windshield. I upgraded to that model the following year we we had to evacuate for a hurricane and I did not want to take the time to research other GPS units. Eventually I took the advice of someone and purchased the Co-Pilot software and it had a hockey puck antenna also. Both the MS&T and the CP software will interact with each hockey puck antenna. The MS&T GPS software will be a one time $$$ purchase of around $125, and each year after that you can just buy the software for the $30 or so price. Not bad, but there are better options out there. MS&T is a good planning software, but so is Google, or Bing.

I finally went with a GPS system and presently have the TomTom Go Live and it has all the bells and whistles that I need including live search using Google, plus traffic and other information. Original outlay was about $240 and that includes lifetime updates of maps and other options which in the past was about $90 a year.

As stated, smartphones have come a long way with GPS. My Samsung S III is very accurate, but the only time I use it is when I'm in DW's care here at the S&B. Eventually I'll use it when touring on foot in a big city, (Think SFran) to find food. Got to have food.

So THIMK, what your purpose and intent is and purchase accordingly.

Happy trails.

p.s., there is no setting up for MS&T other than plugging the hockey puck antenna into the USB port. After that you just 'refine" some setting to meet your specific needs, but out of the box works very well. Also, there will be no searching the internet unless you have MiFi or a hot spot on your cell phone when traveling down the highway.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One issue with cell phone GPS is data usage. To the best of my knowledge all that mapping is fed to the phone, the phone itself doesn't have map data. That would mean that as you move along, more data is sent to refresh the map. I could be wrong. Of course, that could also mean that if you don't have a good cell signal that you don't have a map.

Stand alone GPS or MS Streets have maps. All you need to do is have GPS signal.

I personally like Garmin life time map units. In the case of Garmin, the computer map updater will tell you when new maps are available. I'm assuming other makers have similar packages.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #10

cell phones do not need a cell connection to navigate if the maps & other data are downloaded.

I recommend the Rand Mcnally RV app. Not yet avaulable for Andriod but reportedly will be soon. Currently available for systems with IOS 4 or later.

IMHO it is much better to have an app on a multi purpose device than a stand alone GPS if you have/need smart phone or tablet. You can integrate with other apps such as contacts, yellow pages, allstays apps etc.

And like anything - the best device is the one you have with you at the time. Even in your toad or walking. This is most likely to be your phone.

I had a quick smile re the comment that phones are for talking - must come from a person who does not have a smart phone. Am responding to this thread with a smart phone.

And how many teenagers actually talk on phones these days.

good luck on a selection for a GPS option.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
One issue with cell phone GPS is data usage. To the best of my knowledge all that mapping is fed to the phone, the phone itself doesn't have map data. That would mean that as you move along, more data is sent to refresh the map. I could be wrong. Of course, that could also mean that if you don't have a good cell signal that you don't have a map.

Stand alone GPS or MS Streets have maps. All you need to do is have GPS signal.

I personally like Garmin life time map units. In the case of Garmin, the computer map updater will tell you when new maps are available. I'm assuming other makers have similar packages.
Depends on the GPS product. For example, CoPilot downloads the entire map database when installed so you don't need a cell phone connection (or use a data connection) when using the device.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
vermilye, Libero

Yep, that was what I meant about applications like MS Street that download/store maps. I was keying in on other comments and just didn't broaden my intent wide enough.

Right now I still tend to like the stand alone GPS because I have a very nice mount on my dash for them. I like their readability. I am rethinking that with the advent of the Mini Ipad. The large one is just a bit too big to mount it where I would like. I'm also looking at the something like VMSpc engine monitor on a PC so that will take up some space too.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a standalone Garmin GPS in front of me but my wife uses the laptop with Delorme Street Atlas and Earthmate LT40 hockey puck GPS.
The laptop software is much easier to program for the route we want and is more versatile in our opinion.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I started looking at this as an alternative to a dedicated GPS since I already have an iPad. However, the cost soon adds up: $99 for Rand MacNally software, $99 for a GPS dongle and up to $60 for a dash mount. At $260 plus shipping I'm close to the Amazon price of a 7720.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps