RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Using camera system with Mobley?

I just had to order a new camera system for the house which has the capability to view remotely over the internet. It requires a hardwire connection to a router. Is there any way I can use it with the Mobley?

I have an old Linksys wireless router that I used with cable internet service.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I just had to order a new camera system for the house which has the capability to view remotely over the internet. It requires a hardwire connection to a router. Is there any way I can use it with the Mobley?
I have an old Linksys wireless router that I used with cable internet service.
Are you wanting to use the Mobley as the main internet for the camera, or just use it to view your home camera? I use my Mobley when we are on the road to access the home video system.

You can use the wireless router to connect to the Mobley and hard wire the camera to the router. Just be aware that if you leave the camera active it can use upwards of 4-5 gigabytes of data per day. I have a camera in the motor home while in storage connected through a Mobley and was afraid they would throttle the service after a few days. I can go in remotely and turn the camera on long enough to see the wet bay, basement and coach temperatures then turn it off.

'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dan, thanks for the reply.

I only want to be able to view the cameras remotely and play back recorded video.

Would that be using data even when I'm not viewing them?

I thought the wireless feature on the Linksys router was only for other devices to connect to it. Can the router also use the wireless to connect to the Mobley?

Old 02-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've been poking around on the web looking at hookups for Linksys routers. I found something about using the Linksys router in the "repeater" mode to extend Wi-Fi from another router. I haven't found the manual for my router yet so can't see it it describes this.

If that can be done, and I connect the camera system into the Linksys router, would I be able to go through both of them to access the camera system?

Old 02-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Joe, I'll lay out what I have set up on my home camera system. I use a wireless LAN router with a network cable connection to my camera system video recorder. That is connected to the internet through the cable modem. While we are on the road, I'm using the Mobley for internet and can go through it to connect to the home video recorder/live cameras. The Mobley is not using data unless it's connected. Unless you are using the Mobley to transmit the signal from the cameras, there's no reason to connect it to them.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Joe, I'll lay out what I have set up on my home camera system. I use a wireless LAN router with a network cable connection to my camera system video recorder. That is connected to the internet through the cable modem. While we are on the road, I'm using the Mobley for internet and can go through it to connect to the home video recorder/live cameras. The Mobley is not using data unless it's connected. Unless you are using the Mobley to transmit the signal from the cameras, there's no reason to connect it to them.
So you're not using the Mobley for internet access at home.

WOW! It just hit me between the eyes! If we are on the road and want the access the cameras at home, we will have the Mobley with us and NO internet access at home!

I'm not going to pay for another internet service at home, so it's a moot point! Can't believe I was that stupid!

Old 02-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Donít you wish that you had bought two Mobleys & activated them both when the ATT $20.00/month plan was still available!
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Don’t you wish that you had bought two Mobleys & activated them both when the ATT $20.00/month plan was still available!
I sure do! What's that they say about hindsight!

Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #9

It is possible to have a wired connection to the Mobley (I have one and am doing it), there is a micro USB port of the side of the Mobley with a plastic cap over it. See Adding more than 5 devices to a Mobley while the topic here is adding more than 5 devices, the GL-inet MT300N-v2 that I am using also has a pair of Ethernet ports that could be used for a hard wired Ethernet camera. By default one port is LAN and one is WAN, but that can be changed in software.

p.s. here is a photo of someone doing it with an external USB charging station and a different model GL-inet travel router http://i.imgur.com/frEiyJBl.jpg
Old 03-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It is possible to have a wired connection to the Mobley (I have one and am doing it), there is a micro USB port of the side of the Mobley with a plastic cap over it. See Adding more than 5 devices to a Mobley while the topic here is adding more than 5 devices, the GL-inet MT300N-v2 that I am using also has a pair of Ethernet ports that could be used for a hard wired Ethernet camera. By default one port is LAN and one is WAN, but that can be changed in software.

p.s. here is a photo of someone doing it with an external USB charging station and a different model GL-inet travel router http://i.imgur.com/frEiyJBl.jpg
Hi Issac! I thought I had laid this to rest but it's back!

When we are not on the road we use the Mobley for internet access in the house. I had cable modem before and took it out. I had a hardwire connection from the cable modem to the Linksys wireless router.

I am putting in the new camera system and discovered that it has no remote control! It has to be controlled from a smart phone. So now I'm back to needing to connect the camera system to the internet!

I read your post #19 in the thread about connecting more than 5 devices to the Mobley. I am totally computer illiterate and couldn't really understand what you were talking about.

Can I use the device you linked above to somehow connect to modem to the camera system or to the old Linksys router?

I really appreciate any help you can provide on this! I don't want to return the camera system but can't operate it without some kind of remote control!

Old 03-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #11

Can you tell me what model camera system you have, the issue may be that all cell service / 4G / LTE data plans in the US are double NATed which prevents direct inbound network connections from working. So unless the camera uses some type of IP tunneling to an outside proxy service you will not be able to connect to it like you would on an dynamic or static address cable modem. In my limited experience some of these cameras use a simple dynamic DNS service and a DMZ host address to easily access the camera from anywhere on the internet, but again this will not work if you are behind the AT&T LTE NAT since outside servers can not see your outside IP address.

p.s. you might be able to work around this with a private VPN service that uses a public VPN standard and forwarding a VPN tunnel to a router like the GL-iNet mentioned in the other thread that supports direct VPN services, these services are mainly used to hide ones location while doing online peer to peer file sharing, or trying to watch streaming videos from outside their authorized regions (ie watching Netflix from outside the US). Cost for these services are in the $4-$10 per month range depending on exact service, though not all use open VPN protocols. The technical setup would probably be too complicated to talk you through on here though.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Issac, the system is a Swann SWDVK849808. The Swann website has videos covering the installation and setup. This video is for the 849804 but the DVR is the same.

https://vigs.sellpoints.com/swann/8-...-swdvk-849804/

Old 03-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #13

Hmm, I am not sure here, if you are using the "Swannlink" app and have it set up on the DVR unit it should bypass the concerns I mentioned about being behind the AT&T NAT
Old 03-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I know this is asking a lot but could you possibly call Swann tech support sometime this week with any questions that you have? Or if you can tell me what to ask them I will do it!

Thanks so much for your help!

Tags
camera