Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Using phone as hot spot

I plan on using my samgung note4 as my hot spot for surfing the web during my travels. Not sure how much data to buy, going to be surfing the web 3 hours per day, just visiting web site and forums...a few utubes. Anybody have an idea on how much data this this take?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #2

I use sprint and I get 40 gigs for 50 bucks. You won't need that much. I used to have 6 gigs and I would cut it close sometimes. You very well may use less than I.

If you went with sprint, the 40 gigs is a good deal. YOu could probably watch a movie or two a month and still have plenty.

One consideration is signal quality. I live in a remote area as RV sites are sometimes and I need a signal booster to improve the signal. I have used these products with successs.

www.weboost.com/us/

Their prices for the single phone booster has gone way up.

You may want to see what best buy can do for you.

Cell Phone Signal Boosters - Best Buy
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would think 5 gigs for surfing would be plenty
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your using Verison, they let you bump your data plan during the middle of the month.

Just be sure to make if effective from the beginning of the month becasue they pro-rate your old plan if you don't.

I have 6GB, but have gone over 12GB when streaming movies.
Just monitor your use and bump it BEFORE you go over.

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just started to use a Karma Hot spot on Sprint service 10 days ago.
$50 unlimited data at up to 5 down
So far I have used 6.01GB. But did have some OS updates on my iPhone & iPad.
And W10 updates on a Desktop & laptop.

I do watch a few videos on Facebook etc. No movie downloads.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #6

I was wrong. I get 40 gigs for $120. big difference. But, it was still less than my wife and I were paying for unlimited data and 6 gig hotspot so I was happy.
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
thank u all...gives me an idea on the usage...
Old 12-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #8

We had 2 gig data plans previously. Only time we hit the limit was when wife watched some TV episodes online. Surfing the web, email and such will likely consume only hundreds of mb. When you start watching videos that's when the usage can really go up but occasional youtube shouldn't be a big deal as they're short and usually not full screen high def.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #9

We use Verizon and our iPhone is our only internet connection. We haven't used more than 12gig yet and we're on the Internet a lot. No movies but lots of UTube videos.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:17 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We had been using about 12g per month on a pretty regular basis. That's with two people surfing, checking plan/bank accounts, and email. But when the grandbaby was born (our first one) lots and lots of pictures starting coming our way and the DW is spending a lot more time on-line. We are prolly going to end up around 18g this month. And that's with no YouTube watching.

Beware the new grandchild factor!

/ken

PS. Forgot that we also post several pictures about once a week to our blog, as well.
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on your carrier. I understand Verizon has a new 26 Gig plan (24 gig per month plus 2 gig per month bonus) though I've not priced it.. Verizon and AT&T show the best coverage maps.

I have T-Mobile 10 gig with leftover rollover.. I have hit my Gig limit but with T-mobile they throttle you not Cha-Ching you like some of the others do.

Sprint merged with Nextel, known as No-Tel because of the lack of coverage. Alas, did not greatly improve outside of Kalamazoo, Co Mi and that is a story of corruption.

TO address the concept of using the phone as a hot spot, and before you ask, NO I DO NOT KNOW which your Note 5 is.

Some phones if a call comes in the internet is halted for the duration of the call

Other phones it continues and you can GOOGLE while you chat.

And that is all I have.