Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2019, 05:46 AM   #1

Verizon 8800L

Anyone using this jetpack having problems with it dropping signal and needing a reboot fairly regularly?
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 06:09 AM   #2

I have a 8800L jetpack bought it about a 3 weeks ago. Haven't had problem with having to reboot it. Been using it at the house to check it out before we leave out again. Only thing i noticed is it seems a bit weak on wifi signal strength in the house but there are numerous walls so that could be it. Overall very happy with the jetpack
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have mine for about 40 days and haven't had lock up yet. I have now in my coach at problem 30 degrees inside the coach and been there for about 24 days hooked to a security camera without any problems.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #4

I've had one since the middle of Dec. and no drop out issues. Something to remember though.....Let's say you are using it for whatever and you disconnect the device...turn it off or go into sleep mode. After about 10 minutes, the Jetpack will also go into sleep mode. If you want to reconnect a device, you need to "wake up" the Jetpack. This is accomplished by pressing and quickly releasing the power button. Hope this helps!
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I've had one since the middle of Dec. and no drop out issues. Something to remember though.....Let's say you are using it for whatever and you disconnect the device...turn it off or go into sleep mode. After about 10 minutes, the Jetpack will also go into sleep mode. If you want to reconnect a device, you need to "wake up" the Jetpack. This is accomplished by pressing and quickly releasing the power button. Hope this helps!
So there's no way to change this behavior in the sleep settings? I'd want this hotspot on 24/7 regardless of whether or not any devices are connected so I can connect at any time without having to manually turn the hotspot on.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:46 AM   #6

Had ours for almost a month with no problems at all.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
So there's no way to change this behavior in the sleep settings? I'd want this hotspot on 24/7 regardless of whether or not any devices are connected so I can connect at any time without having to manually turn the hotspot on.
I'm not sure if you used the Jetpack Admin panel to set your Jetpack up or not, but if you didn't, all the settings are at the default settings. To go into the admin panel, you must use the password that allows access to the admin panel and log into it. The Jetpack user's manual tells you how to access the Admin panel. Basically, the device you are using has to be connected (via the Jetpack wifi) to the Jetpack. From there, open a web browser and type in the address bar.... http://my.jetpack or http://192.168.1.1 When the page loads, you will need to log in with your password. Once you are logged in the Jetpack page will load. Your next step is to scroll down to the "Help" section (lower right side of page) and click on the Setup link. When that page loads, you will see on the left side of the screen and area of several links to click.....click on the "Jetpack Settings" area. If the page is not in the Preferences tab, click it. If that page is up in front of you, make sure that "Device Preferences" is selected. If it is, or when you select device preferences.....look for the "Sleep" option. It will have a drop down list for times for you to select. The choices will be after 5 minutes, after 15 minutes, after 30 minutes, after 60 minutes, Never, or 25%....which means that no matter how you set it, when the Jetpack battery reaches 25% remaining battery life, it will go into sleep mode. Save any changes you made if needed, and now you have your Jetpack setup to never turn off. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:15 AM   #8

In past jetpacks, I have been able to go into the admin settings and set it for usb tethering. I don't see that as an option on the 8800. If there is some interruption of power or a reboot done, you have to manually select the usb tether and power option. Did I miss something in the admin program?
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm not sure if you used the Jetpack Admin panel to set your Jetpack up or not, but if you didn't, all the settings are at the default settings. To go into the admin panel, you must use the password that allows access to the admin panel and log into it. The Jetpack user's manual tells you how to access the Admin panel. Basically, the device you are using has to be connected (via the Jetpack wifi) to the Jetpack. From there, open a web browser and type in the address bar.... http://my.jetpack or http://192.168.1.1 When the page loads, you will need to log in with your password. Once you are logged in the Jetpack page will load. Your next step is to scroll down to the "Help" section (lower right side of page) and click on the Setup link. When that page loads, you will see on the left side of the screen and area of several links to click.....click on the "Jetpack Settings" area. If the page is not in the Preferences tab, click it. If that page is up in front of you, make sure that "Device Preferences" is selected. If it is, or when you select device preferences.....look for the "Sleep" option. It will have a drop down list for times for you to select. The choices will be after 5 minutes, after 15 minutes, after 30 minutes, after 60 minutes, Never, or 25%....which means that no matter how you set it, when the Jetpack battery reaches 25% remaining battery life, it will go into sleep mode. Save any changes you made if needed, and now you have your Jetpack setup to never turn off. Hope this helps.
Understood, but I was referring to your comment that the Jetpack always goes to sleep if no device is connected to it. Is that how you have yours set up to behave, or is that a default behavior that cannot be changed in the settings?
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Understood, but I was referring to your comment that the Jetpack always goes to sleep if no device is connected to it. Is that how you have yours set up to behave, or is that a default behavior that cannot be changed in the settings?
Thanks.
Reread what I posted above! YOU have control over the amount of time elapsed before it will go into sleep mode. If you NEVER want it to go to sleep, follow the procedure that I wrote above ^^^^ and select "NEVER". Mine is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes.....because that is what I want it to be. Where I use mine a lot currently, I am in and out of the workplace and if I shut down my tablet to leave for a while, the Jetpack will fall asleep in 15 minutes. When I come back, let's say an hour or two later, all I do is quickly push and release the Power button on top and it immediately wakes up from it's nap and is available to tether my tablet to again.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #11

Do you find that leaving it on all the time uses more data?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Reread what I posted above! YOU have control over the amount of time elapsed before it will go into sleep mode. If you NEVER want it to go to sleep, follow the procedure that I wrote above ^^^^ and select "NEVER". Mine is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes.....because that is what I want it to be. Where I use mine a lot currently, I am in and out of the workplace and if I shut down my tablet to leave for a while, the Jetpack will fall asleep in 15 minutes. When I come back, let's say an hour or two later, all I do is quickly push and release the Power button on top and it immediately wakes up from it's nap and is available to tether my tablet to again.
A simple "Sorry, my first post was misleading in that the Jetpack only automatically turns itself off if you have it set that way in the settings" would have sufficed.
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #13

verizon jetpack msh900l

We have had this for travelling since Dec 28. So far so good on their unlimited plan. And no reboots or disconnects yet! I asked about the higher model, but apparently they only allow you to connect more devices, up to 15 v 5. No better reception or performance. it was only 49.95 and $65.00/ month plus tax. So far we can Stream Netflix and download movies etc... as good as at home with land line based internet.
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #14

Quote:
A simple "Sorry, my first post was misleading in that the Jetpack only automatically turns itself off if you have it set that way in the settings" would have sufficed.
Thanks.
I meant nothing sarcastic or mean, I was just trying to be as helpful as I could be to explain how to accomplish what you are trying to do. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding between us.

Tags
verizon