Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Verizon data plans changed

I saw on the news where Verizon was changing their data plans.

I have their share everything plan and the 10GB plan changed from $100 down to $80

$100 will now get you 15GB

Don't know if this is for new customers or just existing. Also that's online not sure about stores
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We are actually coming up on our monthly turnover, and upon checking it out, we'll get 30Gigs for $20 less than we paid for 20Gigs before. I would think this is an olive branch reaching out to Verizon customers while trying to lure Millenicom folks into the Verizon net. JMHO, a good thing, particularly if you spend much time out west where 3G and 4G coverage is somewhat better than the other major cell companies.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
We are actually coming up on our monthly turnover, and upon checking it out, we'll get 30Gigs for $20 less than we paid for 20Gigs before. I would think this is an olive branch reaching out to Verizon customers while trying to lure Millenicom folks into the Verizon net. JMHO, a good thing, particularly if you spend much time out west where 3G and 4G coverage is somewhat better than the other major cell companies.

What's the name of the plan and what number do you call, or how do you get this plan?
30 gigs for $70??? I think I was paying $89.99 for 20GB on a Millenicom.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #4

They had a special last month which ended 11/01......that you could double your plan for no cost. We went from 15 to 30.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Related ? here...

Having had a plan the last 3 years with 3G data (Verizon). What does 4G get me? Yes, I know higher data speed, but does it give me better over-all coverage?

I have an older IPhone 4. (3 years old) Over-all has been very good, getting basic coverage in more rural areas. Might be slow...but I can at least upload my email most of the time. There are times we are in "box canyon" type of state parks in Ohio, PA., WV.

My two year contract is up, was wondering if it was time to get a newer phone and move up to the 4G network. My fear is the 4G is super fast in the cities and towns, but non-existent in the country.

Vacationed to two new to us state parks this past summer, checked the Verizon coverage map to see I had coverage near by or bare bones 3G coverage at my campsite. The nearest 4G was 10 to 20 miles away. Will a new 4G phone still pick up a network data 3G signal?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are starting to feel the pinch from competitors.

With the plan I have (A competitor's) I get 6.5 Gig of high speed and unlimited 3G, Text and Voice for 86/month taxes included. I have hit 6Gig a few times, but never went over my lmit by more than 0.1 Gig and never noticed a slow down.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Related ? here...

Having had a plan the last 3 years with 3G data (Verizon). What does 4G get me? Yes, I know higher data speed, but does it give me better over-all coverage?

I have an older IPhone 4. (3 years old) Over-all has been very good, getting basic coverage in more rural areas. Might be slow...but I can at least upload my email most of the time. There are times we are in "box canyon" type of state parks in Ohio, PA., WV.

My two year contract is up, was wondering if it was time to get a newer phone and move up to the 4G network. My fear is the 4G is super fast in the cities and towns, but non-existent in the country.

Vacationed to two new to us state parks this past summer, checked the Verizon coverage map to see I had coverage near by or bare bones 3G coverage at my campsite. The nearest 4G was 10 to 20 miles away. Will a new 4G phone still pick up a network data 3G signal?
All Verizon 4G devices will utilize 3G service if 4G service is not available.

In other words, you lose no coverage by switching to a 4G device. You simply get service that is about 10 times faster almost everywhere that there is a Verizon service nowadays.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
So with a 2 year contract up a year ago, do I qualify as a new customer. Meaning do I have any bargaining power in upgrading to a new phone and getting a price break on the plan I have now (Friends & Family plan with 4 lines, one with data, 1Gig )?

With this plan we have stayed under our limits every month, but would like to get a few more Gig's.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #9

The double data promo is still in effect. The old 16gb gets you 30gb for $130. Old 20gb now is 40gb for $150. The new promo that started on the 1st is for a couple of the lower gb plans. I don't recall exactly what they are but the OP post sounds right.
These plans are for anybody new or existing.

Like someone else said, if you don't get 4g signal, your phone will fall back to 3G or even 1x. Though there are settings to prevent this if you wish. Verizon, and I'm sure pretty much any other providers are not upgrading 3G or CDMA towers anymore. All voice and data will be over 4g LTE in the future. Though they probably won't turn off 3G or CDMA for at least 2 years, maybe 3-4 years.
srt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Just note the fine print, if it matters to you...if you up your data plan, you are signing on for another two years contract. For us it didn't matter, as the national coverage with Verizon is simply overall better than the other providers.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #11

I have the more everything 2gb plan and went to the Verizon website and didn't see anything change such as more data or less cost. Do you know if this only apply to the higher data plans?
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:36 AM   #12
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
I have the more everything 2gb plan and went to the Verizon website and didn't see anything change such as more data or less cost. Do you know if this only apply to the higher data plans?
Yes, the bonus data promotion only applies to the higher data plans. It also only applies if you have a smartphone on your plan. There is no bonus data if you have a data-only plan for a Mi-Fi or modem without a smartphone.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:20 AM   #13

I don't see it that way on the Verizon web site updated a few days ago, to show the more everything 30 gig data plan is now priced at $225.
The only current reductions seem to be limited to 6 - 10 gig plans.
Can you provide a link to where you still see the 30 gig at $130 offered on any Verizon site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt20 View Post
The double data promo is still in effect. The old 16gb gets you 30gb for $130. Old 20gb now is 40gb for $150. The new promo that started on the 1st is for a couple of the lower gb plans. I don't recall exactly what they are but the OP post sounds right.
These plans are for anybody new or existing.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
I don't see it that way on the Verizon web site updated a few days ago, to show the more everything 30 gig data plan is now priced at $225.
The only current reductions seem to be limited to 6 - 10 gig plans.
Can you provide a link to where you still see the 30 gig at $130 offered on any Verizon site?
I'm thinking maybe the offer comes to you individually if you have a high data plan a few days before you turn over at the "end" of your month. Ours actually popped up as we approached going over our monthly plan.

Tags
verizon