Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #15

The MiFi is a wireless router with the broadband modem built in and is dedicated to the service provider you get it from. I would suppose they perform about as well as a separate USB or card slot modem with the exception of optional antennas to boost signal strength.
Personally, I don't like integrated and dedicated devices, so I went the separate USB modem route to be able to plug directly into any computer I wanted to use, including Linux, along with a Cradlepoint router for the home network. I also don't like long service commitments, so bought my own modem at a bargain price and subscribed to Verizon for month-to-month where I could suspend the service for months that I didn't use it. I found it worked well enough overall that I canceled my land line and use Verizon exclusively. I have landed in a couple of areas where the speed was barely better than dial-up, but I generally see 500 to 750 Kbps download rates and rarely over 1 M. Run a test on Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test to see what you get. I was paying nearly the same for DSL and averaged about 2x the speed (actual) on a 1.5Mbps service, but with constant hassles with the phone company and constant nagging promotions and add-on fees up the wazoo.

Iron Man, how is Vonage working with your setup? I am using Skype, and it works but the call quality isn't always good.
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
I had just recently upgraded to the USB720. I was considering the 2200.
I am now sitting in a campground that is in a valley. I barely got 1 bar and sometime couldn't get a bar at all. I checked out the address at Verizon's website and found out I was in an extended coverage area, not broadband. I bought an external antenna for my USB720 and get 2 to 3 bars. Speed is now acceptable, around 1MB download and 400-500 upload. I have better speeds when in the broadband area, but considering my situation before the external antenna it could be much worse.

Point is, with the 2200 I would not have had the option to add an external antenna.

I've since purchased a Cradlepoint router and it works fantastic. When I get back north I am considering dumping my DSL. My DSL is only 3MB and with broadband coverage I average 2MB with my USB720.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've been using MIFI for 3 weeks now and I now have to admit I LOVE it. It is very powerful, very fast, and the ability to use the internet while driving down the highway at DSL speeds is unbelievable. I'm now totally sold on this, so if anyone out there is debating it, give me a shout. I am convinced I saved myself thousands of dollars in a roof mount antenna that probably wouldn't be useful while driving.
Ed
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #18

We have the MIFI also. We also use it in a one bar area in Saluda SC. VERIZON, are you listening? It disconnects alot. And it is a pain to reset it constantly as it times out and stops broadcasting. True dsl is always ready. But this is the only logical way to go when one is living here, there, and everywhere. One last thing about it is that it has difficulty assigning a third address even in areas of full bars. It was supposed to handle up to five! Good luck!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
We have the MIFI also. We also use it in a one bar area in Saluda SC. VERIZON, are you listening? It disconnects alot. And it is a pain to reset it constantly as it times out and stops broadcasting. True dsl is always ready. But this is the only logical way to go when one is living here, there, and everywhere. One last thing about it is that it has difficulty assigning a third address even in areas of full bars. It was supposed to handle up to five! Good luck!
T; I'm assuming you have called Verizon Tech Support and discussed the problems you are having, but if not please do. I had a few glitches when I first bought it but since then it hasn't "timed out" or lost connection and couldn't find it again automatically. I've been all over the south east in the last 3 weeks from Arkansas (where I bought it) to LA, MS, AL, FL and back to North Texas now and it has always been there when I needed it... which is so often I'm sure i'll exceed my allotted download limit. If you are having this much trouble it might be the device itself. Hope you get it worked out.
Ed

Oh... and we have two laptops and two Iphone's using it full time.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:18 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Been using a Mifi for over one year. Very nice unit, no technical work required, just plug it in. Verizon offers excellent customer service too. I had trouble with the Mifi battery holding a charge. They sent me a new one ASAP. Equally satisfied with their cell service.

We are fulltimers. We boondock a lot and stay in rural areas, so I often get weak signals. I just ordered a Wilson signal booster for a buncha bucks. It will amplify the signal for my Mifi as well as our two cell phones. Since signal strength is directly related to bandwidth (speed), including the ability to stream video, it's worth the cost to me.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Jenna View Post
Been using a Mifi for over one year. Very nice unit, no technical work required, just plug it in. Verizon offers excellent customer service too. I had trouble with the Mifi battery holding a charge. They sent me a new one ASAP. Equally satisfied with their cell service.

We are fulltimers. We boondock a lot and stay in rural areas, so I often get weak signals. I just ordered a Wilson signal booster for a buncha bucks. It will amplify the signal for my Mifi as well as our two cell phones. Since signal strength is directly related to bandwidth (speed), including the ability to stream video, it's worth the cost to me.
Hi Bruce;
Have you installed it yet? I just ordered the Wilson SignalBoost amplifier kit with cradle for about half what you paid. I have not installed mine yet but I probably would rather have yours. I wonder if 3gstore will do an exchange? or tell me what components mine is missing to match yours. I'm not one to skimp when it comes to my internet connection but I didn't know about your kit when I ordered mine. Had read an article that listed 3 options and mine was the most powerful of the three so I ordered. Not to ramble... but are you happy with the performance?
Thanks
Ed
Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ed, I've had the 801245 amp along with the Wilson trucker antenna in my rig for a few years now and I'm extremely happy with the setup.

Like you I figure to purchase the best one time and enjoy it....

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:47 AM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedward1555 View Post
Hi Bruce;
Have you installed it yet? I just ordered the Wilson SignalBoost amplifier kit with cradle for about half what you paid. I have not installed mine yet but I probably would rather have yours. I wonder if 3gstore will do an exchange? or tell me what components mine is missing to match yours. I'm not one to skimp when it comes to my internet connection but I didn't know about your kit when I ordered mine. Had read an article that listed 3 options and mine was the most powerful of the three so I ordered. Not to ramble... but are you happy with the performance?
Thanks
Ed
I'm waiting somewhat patiently for it to arrive next week. I bought the bigger kit for several reasons:
Supports two cell phones and mifi concurrently and wirelessly
Stick on cup on antenna will allow me to move the antenna to the best side of the trailer without climbing on the roof (I hope)
Designed for minimal separation between the internal and external antennas
Can move it between the trailer, with the movable antenna and the truck, where I've installed my trucker antenna.

Like Jim, I've learned to buy the best and enjoy it. 3G store has an excellent reputation for customer service. Betcha they would let you upgrade. They have a 20% restocking fee for the amp, but sounds like you will keep that in any case.

Good luck. I'll try to remember to update this thread next week after installation.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
I've installed the short external antenna and directional internal antenna. So far, I get too much feedback (oscillation) between the two antennas in my trailer to use it at all. Waiting for tech support....
Old 03-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I've installed the short external antenna and directional internal antenna. So far, I get too much feedback (oscillation) between the two antennas in my trailer to use it at all. Waiting for tech support....
Tech support will tell you two things....
#1 is antenna to antenna seperation should be seperated by 20 feet or more.
#2 is leave OFF all of the the equipment you want/need to use until your amp is online then turn them on, With my antenna seperation (22 feet) I don't have that problem.
Even if you hafta build a bracket to extend your outside antenna to get that 20' of distance please duit...
Over the years I have been pleasantly surprised when the amp has been needed...

Jim
Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
Tech support will tell you two things....
#1 is antenna to antenna seperation should be seperated by 20 feet or more.
#2 is leave OFF all of the the equipment you want/need to use until your amp is online then turn them on, With my antenna seperation (22 feet) I don't have that problem.
Even if you hafta build a bracket to extend your outside antenna to get that 20' of distance please duit...
Over the years I have been pleasantly surprised when the amp has been needed...

Jim
I hear ya, but I don't understand how one can get 20' separation in an RV. If I mount the antenna on the roof at the end of the RV, I still lose about 15' of coverage forward from the internal antenna. Hence, I bought the kit for an RV
RV-ers wanting more indoor coverage than a vehicle-class repeater but can't accommodate a huge amount of separation, and/or need an option that does not require permanent installation of the antennas.
Still NG on the separation tho, so they plan to replace my amp with one with less power to the internal antenna.

I read the instruction on turning off the phones b4 turning on the amp. Do you know why?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I hear ya, but I don't understand how one can get 20' separation in an RV. If I mount the antenna on the roof at the end of the RV, I still lose about 15' of coverage forward from the internal antenna. Hence, I bought the kit for an RV
RV-ers wanting more indoor coverage than a vehicle-class repeater but can't accommodate a huge amount of separation, and/or need an option that does not require permanent installation of the antennas.
Still NG on the separation tho, so they plan to replace my amp with one with less power to the internal antenna.

I read the instruction on turning off the phones b4 turning on the amp. Do you know why?
Bruce, I have NO idea why they want the AMP turned on first and sometimes I forget to start things up their way but it still works fine.

Here is my setup...
#1, Trucker antenna...Mounted on drivers side..Very close to the front windshield. Since there was a C.B. antenna wire coming through the roof I used the existing hole for the antenna cable.
The trucker antenna cable is 12 feet long and ran through the upper cabinets to the (801245 amp)....
The amp isn't very wide (6" or so) and is mounted on the wall then the inside antenna has about 10" or more of cable and continues it way through the upper cabinets and into the closet....
I decided to move the inside antenna to the very top and JUST outside of the closet door (closet door bumper stop required) and the inside antenna is one of those small rectangular (2X5) units that can be tapped to the wall and nobody notices that little critter tucked away at the top.....
So now you see the way I/you can get the seperation needed and IMHO the 20' distance is to cover their rear ends
I don't know how much cable your outside antenna has but I do know your inside antenna has at least 10' or more, Please check it out...

Jim
Old 03-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
I see, I see, I see.

Man, you motorhome guys get all the breaks. Me, I have a fifth wheel with three slides. No reasonable way to run antenna wire along the upper walls, and 12' of cable for my trucker antenna won't get me very far back. All the cabinets are in the slides anyway, so....

Neither do I want to poke additional holes in my nice fiberglass roof, so I plan to mount it on the luggage rail in the back, using a previously drilled hole in the roof for a Hughes dish.

All this limits my installation to the rear of the trailer, thus 10' of separation between antennas. And so it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion tho. I think we're still on topic.