Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but so far the Wilson Signal Booster either shows no increase in performance or actually slows me down.. I suppose I'll call tech support tomorrow.
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #30

Thumbs up Use a cell phone booster with a decent antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
We have the MIFI also. We also use it in a one bar area in Saluda SC. VERIZON, are you listening? It disconnects alot. And it is a pain to reset it constantly as it times out and stops broadcasting. True dsl is always ready. But this is the only logical way to go when one is living here, there, and everywhere. One last thing about it is that it has difficulty assigning a third address even in areas of full bars. It was supposed to handle up to five! Good luck!
I have been traveling the last 5 months with my Wilson celluar booster and have been able to keep up a 1.5 Meg data rate even while traveling. There claim is you can be up to 50 miles from a cell tower and still get reception. But I do not believe their info unless you are using a Yagi antenna which is impractable while inmotion. But if you are stationary you could use it quite well to extend your service. A good place to buy is solid state signals online. I am retired USN FTMC also. The only place I got a slower speed was at Key West NAS where the best I could do was 500K down and 200K up. If you want drop me and email and I will give you a parts list the only problems with using the stronger booster were keeping the anttena seperation at 40 ft I solve this with a attenuator when necessary. Chuck M
cwmodlin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #31

If you are using a wireless amplifier to boost your data signal it will quite likely slow down your throughput. This has been pretty well documented. If you are using a hardware from the antenna/amp to the air card you should not be seeing this kind of a result.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bill this is what I bought: 1 x Wilson Cellular SIGNALBOOST Cellular/PCS Amplifier Kit (Includes Mag
Mount Antenna and Cradle Plus) - 811214 (811214)

For my verizon MiFi 2200
Old 04-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #33

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
If you are using a wireless amplifier to boost your data signal it will quite likely slow down your throughput. This has been pretty well documented. If you are using a hardware from the antenna/amp to the air card you should not be seeing this kind of a result.
This is news to me. And counter to the implication on the 3g store. And one of the reasons I ordered the wireless system.

Can you tell us more or direct us to further discussion?

Thanks Bill.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedward1555 View Post
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but so far the Wilson Signal Booster either shows no increase in performance or actually slows me down.. I suppose I'll call tech support tomorrow.
Question 1 are the 3 green lights on, 2 what type of input antenna and output antenna are you using, what is the location of each antenna and the total distance between them. Give a quick sketch of your layout for the wiring of the antenna run. Hope that helps if not let me know!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Bill Adams,

I'll be retiring soon, and will need to come up with an internet access solution for use at our 'cabin', which is far from any cable access, and if it could also be used in the motor home, all the better.

We have Verizon cell phone service, and it works fine at the cabin. Right now I'm using my work computer and a Verizon air card they issued to me. OK for email and forum crusin', but try to load an image rich web site... If I go on-line to their web site, they show no service in this area (???). The signal strength fluctuates from one to three bars.

Exactly what equipment would I need to set up a wireless network at my cabin, and in the motor home, and where would be the best place to get it? If I'm getting, on average, two 'bars' now, what performance improvements might I see with optimal equipment.

I assume all but the outside antenna could be moved back and forth between the motor home and the cabin.
Depending on you location I would put up a yagi directional antenna on the cabin pointed at the cell tower which gives you the fastest access you can test you system with Speakeasy Speed Test. When you are in motion you want to use a omni-directional antenna like you see on trucks the antennas are the most inexpensive parts. You could use your internal antenna both in the RV and in the house just buy two mounting brackets.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Jenna View Post
I've installed the short external antenna and directional internal antenna. So far, I get too much feedback (oscillation) between the two antennas in my trailer to use it at all. Waiting for tech support....

You can solve this by inserting and inline attenuator start with a 3db and the a 6db if still problems stack them this should solve your oscillation problem your signal is overdriving because of the close proximity of the receive and transmit antennas.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did anyone else get an email from 3gstore tonight promoting 4g WiMax? Maybe it was just because Austin now has coverage... but I read it and not really sure what to make of it... except with Verizon we're probably screwed and would have to buy a new piece of hardware to utilize it. Does anyone even know about WiMax?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #38

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmodlin1 View Post
You can solve this by inserting and inline attenuator start with a 3db and the a 6db if still problems stack them this should solve your oscillation problem your signal is overdriving because of the close proximity of the receive and transmit antennas.
Thanks, but I don't know anything about electronics. Wouldn't know an attenuator from...well, I don't even know what else.

I contacted 3G and sent back the amp. They have sent out a lower power amp that will not interfere with my internal antenna. Cheaper too, which makes me happy.

Thanks anyway. Oh yeah...resistor.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #39

Excel Owners Club
New amp arrived. The one designed for cars.

Good signal boost. I've connected it to a Wilson Trucker antenna on the roof.

But I keep checking my mirror now. And I'm living in a trailer.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #40

Ted, MiFi is a Wireless "Hot Spot" that you can connect to the Internet with, if you are within 150ft of the WiFi. I have Sprint Sierra Hot Spot, can connect 5 devices (computers/games/printers) that require wireless connection. My Sprint was $99 after rebate, and $59.95/Mo. Mine is 3G/4G speed, Verizon is 3G only. 4G is unlimited Data 3G is 5G/Mo. Have not exceeded 3G in 2 Mo. 3G is a little slower then DSL, 4G is about 5 times Faster than DSL.

Bruce
Old 04-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDriver View Post
Ted, MiFi is a Wireless "Hot Spot" that you can connect to the Internet with, if you are within 150ft of the WiFi. I have Sprint Sierra Hot Spot, can connect 5 devices (computers/games/printers) that require wireless connection. My Sprint was $99 after rebate, and $59.95/Mo. Mine is 3G/4G speed, Verizon is 3G only. 4G is unlimited Data 3G is 5G/Mo. Have not exceeded 3G in 2 Mo. 3G is a little slower then DSL, 4G is about 5 times Faster than DSL.

Bruce
The stated range for connecting a computer to the MiFi is about 30 feet, not 150 feet.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
The stated range for connecting a computer to the MiFi is about 30 feet, not 150 feet.
Do you own one? Right from the Sierra Overdrive Web Site:

Key features of Overdrive 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot include a LCD that provides important information such as battery life and internet connection status, as well as an easy-to-use web interface for customizing settings. Overdrive 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot also includes built-in GPS capability (on 3G), MicroSD slot for up to 16 GB memory cards creating shared storage with up to five connected devices, and an extended Wi-Fi range of up to 150 feet.

Sierra Wireless - Overdrive™ 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot by Sierra Wireless Can Bring Sprint’s 4G Speeds to More Than 400 Million Wi-Fi-Enabled Devices

Mine works at 100 ft, did not need to be further away fro the Motormome, Most RV sites are not that large.

Bruce