Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Verizon 1st, Sprint 2nd, AT&T somewhere around 5th (in a 3 man race) when it comes to 3G internet coverage. Ignore the AT&T commercials which seem to imply that where they have coverage they have good speed or that their coverage of 97% of Americans has anything to do with geographical coverage area or, again, speed.
Gee, I have had AT&T since 1987 when it was Cingular, and had their data plan for the last 5-6 years and NEVER had a complaint. Now, I have not traveled the northeast area but will be doing that from July 25th to October 15th so i will give it a good workout then. In Texas, outside the main cities, I rate Sprint as dead last... I know several friends that had Sprint and they changed and have never looked back.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #58

"I'm trying to make sense of all the phone / internet / router alternatives but I'm attracted to Verizon, 3G iPhone, MiFi 2200 and mac computers!
But soon to be migrating from Australia (full time RVing 5th wheel) I'm confused with pricing, contracts etc. because they are different setups in Aus.
Could someone please explain (in 4yr old language) what I need, what it costs...from initial setup of phone contract through to sitting in my RV with internet....what a nice thought...can't wait!!!!
Tom."

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your replies and advice...still a bit confused but I think I may go with AT&T for a family plan with two phones as my son and D-I-L (in CO) use the same ....free calls between phones etc.
Then I'll do a 'toes in the water' test to see how we get on with free WiFi etc. toting our laptop around the coffee shops for emails and SKYPE!!!
I'm still thinking about MiFi and a data plan (with AT%T)- which I think is an extra $30/month. Extra aerials/booster etc can come later.
I 'live' on the internet at the moment with so much research to do, but most of that will be gone when we finally get to the US.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Here is my latest setup in our MH:
  • AT&T Lighting USB device
  • Ubiquiti Bullet M2, a/b/g/n, 600mw
  • 8dBI vertical antenna
  • Bullet and antenna attached to ladder with CAT-5 running inside
  • Cradlepoint MBR-900 router
  • All ran off the 12vdc house batteries
With this setup I can have multiple computers on the Internet while traveling or stopped. I have two laptops, a RVPuter, and my iPhone thato the router via WiFi.

The RVputer is installed but in development stages. Currently it functions are to monitor engine functions, AM/FM/HD Radio, DVD/CD Player, iPhone hands free, GPS and media player.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #60

texnet, you have way too much time on your hands, and you are having more fun than is allowed by my DW.
I just want to add one point about the MiFi. It is probably a great product, but I do like the flexibility of having a separate USB modem and router. There have been many times where I use my Netbook with the modem only directly plugged in. Saves a power connection and decreases the lag time (latency) a bit--maybe not so much. And that makes a compact portable package.
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
texnet, you have way too much time on your hands, and you are having more fun than is allowed by my DW.
Just trying to get the most out of my time I have left on this earth!! Not much time for projects the rest of the summer. Thursday I leave for Moldova (next to the Black Sea) for 10 days then when I return we get ready to leave for 3 month tour of eastern Canada and northeastern USA!

Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #62

Commercial Member

Over the past decade I have used the MotoSat DataStorm with Hughes Net service and lite commercial service with Idirect, A Verizon & Sprint aircard with Cradlepoint router, a Verizon smart phone & AT&T smart phone tethered, MiFi, Internet In-motion's cellular router and an AutoNet Mobile cellular router. Wow, no having written all that I feel a little foolish .

Anyhow, for ease of use, especially if your moving the unit from the RV to the Toad to the home as well as dependability of cellular signal even traveling down the road, I exclusively use the AutoNet Mobile device traveling nationwide in my RV as well as at my two business locations in Arizona and Tennessee and like it.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #63

What network does AutoNet Mobile use? Doesn't look like Verizon and doesn't seem to have as good coverage as Verizon for the same price.
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:48 AM   #64

Commercial Member

Autonet Mobile uses the Verizon/Altel network. Autonet decided to make their map very conservative unlike Verizon and Altel. I have used this device personally and have over 600 units out there in RVers hands with no complaints about coverage around the lower 48 states. There is a group of mine up in Alaska currently, they are reporting limited coverage, mainly in & around the main cities up there.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #65

AutoNet is pretty slick but?

We have had an AutoNet router for over a year. Pretty much works well all over the USA.
I recently added a Cyfre amplifier and a Laird external antenna. All this is in the truck. The signal is strong!
My new dilemma is trying to get the Wi-Fi to be transmitted back into the trailer with a stronger signal. The standard passive antenna is the weak link.
Can this signal be amplified as well?
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:05 AM   #66

Commercial Member

The Autonet can easily be moved to the RV and that alone will make your wifi signal strong. If that is somehow not possible then look at extending the wifi antenna to the RV. A cable between the unit's wifi antenna port and the wifi antenna you unscrewed from the unit will be all that is neccessary as long as the wifi antenna is inside the RV.

However, You could go the other way and boost the wifi signal with a hawkins wifi adapter and directional booster for your computer.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #67

Send a message via Yahoo to MRHicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Here is my latest setup in our MH:
  • AT&T Lighting USB device
  • Ubiquiti Bullet M2, a/b/g/n, 600mw
  • 8dBI vertical antenna
  • Bullet and antenna attached to ladder with CAT-5 running inside
  • Cradlepoint MBR-900 router
  • All ran off the 12vdc house batteries
Sorry to be so late (and a tad off-topic), but I just signed on to iRV2, and wanted to say that this looks like the perfect solution for our Wi-Fi needs! I wanted a way to connect to hotspots when available (and be able to bring in pretty weak signals), but also have the option of using a cellular device (a tethered iPhone for us, I think) when it's not, or while on the road.

Texnet, I do have one big question for you, though: how easy/hard was it to set up the Bullet and the MBR-900 to work together? I'm pretty computer savvy, but hardly a network engineer, and reading some of the reviews on Amazon about Ubiquiti products, I get the idea that they can be tough to configure.

Again, thanks for the info - this was extremely helpful (as was the pictorial "how-to" you posted on the setup using the Nanostation)!
MRHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
The Bullet has uses webpages to configure it, and it is fairly simple to setup as long as you don't try to tweak every single setting in the unit :-). Here is my normal procedure when I pull into a RV Park. I unplug the Bullet from the WAN port of the router and plug it into one of the 4 LAN ports. I connect to the WiFI of the MBR-900 and then point my web browser to the IP address of the bullet, which I have preconfigured to be on the same network as the WiFI addresses handed out by the MBR-900. I go to the webpage of the bullet to select the WiFi I want to connect to, click the Select button and up pops a window with all the APs in view of the Bullet. I select one, and input the WEP or WPA code if one is required, click Change, Click Apply then unplug the Bullet from the LAN port and plug it into the WAN port. I am then up and running. The ONLY type of CG connection that I have fould that I could not use this setup is one that has a AP that has to see the compter's MAC address to work. After a 8700+ mile, 87 day trip through the central US, Central to Eastern Canada and the northeastern states I only found 1 CG that had WiFi that I could not use this setup.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #69

Send a message via Yahoo to MRHicks
Cool! Okay, I'm gonna give it a try. I think I have the wi-fi piece sorted out, now need to nail down the details of the cell booster biz...!
MRHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
The mi-fi does not allow an external antenna like you could get it you had purchased one of the stand-alone USB air cards. This is one of the mi-fi's big drawbacks. You could get a USB air card with an external antenna port and plug it into a Cradlepoint router and get a larger service area, more flexibility and with the addition of some Wilson or Cyfre hardware pick up a signal from farther away.

Some (most?) of the newer MiFi boxes now support external antennas.

Millenicom sells a flat rate version (#4620) which has an antenna input;
sometimes called an 'test port'.