Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #1

Wally and 211Z on Pathway X2

I have what I think is a weird problem. I have a new Wally and an older 211Z. I have them connected in 2 receiver mode to a Pathway X2 which locks on Sat 72. The 211Z is primary and the Wally is secondary. I have locals on the 211Z and no locals on the Wally. If I put the Wally on the X2 as the only receiver it gets locals.

Anyone else have this behavior?

I have had Dish do multiple re-authorizations on both receivers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I have what I think is a weird problem. I have a new Wally and an older 211Z. I have them connected in 2 receiver mode to a Pathway X2 which locks on Sat 72. The 211Z is primary and the Wally is secondary. I have locals on the 211Z and no locals on the Wally. If I put the Wally on the X2 as the only receiver it gets locals.

Anyone else have this behavior?

I have had Dish do multiple re-authorizations on both receivers.
I have apparently (somewhat) answered my own question.

It has something to do with the Tampa Spotbeam and Sat 72. I.E., the Locals aren't on 72. I must have gotten confused as to whether 1 receiver could get Locals with running from receiver to receiver and doing scans. I have reverted to setting 1 receiver (not 2) and the Western Arc. Now both receivers have Locals and all other subscriptions. There is, however, the issue of "conflict" if 2 people are watching different sets and one calls for a satellite change. I probably could have figured this out earlier if I had looked at the list of Dish Network Markets and the crossref to satellite
Old 10-31-2016, 09:07 PM   #3

Unfortunately (i understand) there are no locals on 72. 72 does have a bunch of channels and many in HD, so it is a good compromise for 2 receivers.

If you have the OTA adaptor and strong local channel signals, then you can get locals thru the receiver, but I don't think the channel guide will receive the local channel schedule as I think that comes from 61 or 119, 110, 129.

Does the Wally support the DVR option like the 211s?
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:34 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
Yes, it does.

Vince
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Unfortunately (i understand) there are no locals on 72. 72 does have a bunch of channels and many in HD, so it is a good compromise for 2 receivers.

If you have the OTA adaptor and strong local channel signals, then you can get locals thru the receiver, but I don't think the channel guide will receive the local channel schedule as I think that comes from 61 or 119, 110, 129.

Yes ... the Wally will support a DVR. In my case, since I have a harddrive on the 211Z, if I plug a 2nd drive into the Wally it is supported (because I already paid the 1 time DVR charge).

As you said, 72 doesn't have locals. The workaround (from Winegard) is to select 1 (not 2) receivers during setup on the primary, select the arc, complete the check switch, then cable the secondary and do a check switch on the secondary. The primary and secondary will then show locals and all other subscribed channels.

The "issue" is that both receivers must be on the same sat. So, if one person is watching locals, the other person must also watch locals. Also, if you have 2 DVRs, they can only record from 1 satellite at a set (duplicate) time.

To restate, if I want to watch football on the local channel and my sweetie wants to watch the Travel Channel, I'm gonna' need to drive to a sports bar (or crank up the OTA antenna)
Old 11-01-2016, 05:12 AM   #6

BTW, can't say I'm thrilled with the Wally. The Bluetooth Adapter is nice for headphones ... and the remote is ok but the "user friendly" interface is a PITA. It reminds me of Windows 8 ... too many layers of "pretty tabs and icons".
Old 11-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #7

On our 211k, if you press "info" twice you can see what satellite you are pointed at for that channel. The current satellite is displayed only on the second "info" page.

If the HD channel is not available, some channels will roll to the SD version of the channel and that might be on a different satellite.

Thru the guide you could choose the SD version of a channel if that helps the second receiver get the channel they want.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #8

We really like that we can record to the DVR on the over-the-satellite channel and record to the DVR an over-the-air channel, at the same time while watching something that was previously record to the DVR.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:28 AM   #9

Quote:
We really like that we can record to the DVR on the over-the-satellite channel and record to the DVR an over-the-air channel, at the same time while watching something that was previously record to the DVR.

The 211K and 211Z are quite similar except the Z requires an option OTA tuner. The Wally is a bit different from the 211 series. and has a steeper learning curve if you have used the 211 ... might be easy if you had no other experience.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:32 AM   #10

BTW, I "think" the 2nd receiver needs to have the 1st (primary) receiver left on. I "think" the X2 does a periodic resync when the primary is off.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #11

The 211s are never really off. They listen all the time for periodic updates from Dish.

They also reboot at night, default is 3am, but that can be changed. When we had a different antennae, we would record something ever night to prevent reboot.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #12

Quote:
The 211s are never really off. They listen all the time for periodic updates from Dish.

They also reboot at night, default is 3am, but that can be changed. When we had a different antennae, we would record something ever night to prevent reboot.
I'm not sure whether you have a 2 receiver setup. What I think I have observed (I'm not quick enough to get to the window) is:

If using 2 receivers and you select "2 receivers" during setup, you lock on a single satellite (72) and won't get Locals.

If using 2 receivers and you select "1 receiver" during setup, you don't lock on a single satellite and you can get Locals on both receivers. But, you will have conflicts if 2 users are selecting Locals vs Non-Locals (different satellites) and, if the primary receiver is powered off (sleeping), it will do it's X2 "hunt" periodically and disrupt the secondary receiver. I think the X2 doesn't hunt if the primary receiver is powered up (I'm not sure yet).
Old 11-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #13

We have two receivers, we normally use the rooftop Travler with the X2 as a backup. Our external satellite connection only goes to our receiver in front, so the X2 is used in 1 receiver mode.

The only problem we have had with the X2, us that it doesn't find 72 all the time (in eastern arc mode). So sometimes after the overnight reboot, we only have 61 and 77 in the morning.

Have never seen the periodic hunt.

The is also a way, on the 211 to prevent the auto off after 4, 5, 6, 7 hours, but I thought that would not cause the satellite to reset, just the overnight reboot.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #14

Is not locals verses non locals, just channels on different satellites.

In the east, it is either 61 or 72 (not really very much on 77).

Say you are watching a show on 72 on the primary receiver and the other person wants to watch a local on 61.

The 72 channel might have a standard def. version of the channel on satellite 61. Maybe.

The same could be true on the western arc too. Some channels and even some locals are also in HD on 129 and in SD on 119 or 110.

There are tables online that show what channels are where so that you might be able to share if you are willing to watch SD on the primary receiver.