RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Wally East West Dilemma

For years we had DirectTV for both the house and the motorhome. We always put the Winegard Traveler up when we parked the motorhome at home so the DirectTV receiver would not loose it's authorization. When we built a garage for the motorhome I installed a DirectTV dish behind the garage and connected it to the DirectTV receiver in the coach since the dish was not going to work indoors. We got our locals off the spot beam and were able to get them quite a distance from home.

We recently dropped Direct and switched to Dish and the tech came out and removed the Direct dishes and replaced them with their's. He also installed a Hopper and Joey in the house. We ordered a Wally for the RV and installed it connected to the dish behind the garage. It worked great and we received everything we watch including the locals in HD on the 61.5 bird. I forgot to mention that the tech installed Eastern Arc LNB's aimed at what I think is 61.5 and 77.

The next step was the conversion of the Winegard Traveler from Direct to Dish. The conversion kit included a 3 LNB arm for the Western Arc. When we pulled the coach out of the garage last week the Traveler locked in on 119 110 and 129. We were not able to get the Wally to acquire the satellites so put the Traveler in the manual search for 61. The Traveler locked in on 61 but still the Wally did not show any signal strength using the Diagnostic tool. I fooled with the thing for some time without every getting the Wally to work. I assumed there must be a problem with the LNB's since the cables were the same as the ones on the Direct setup. When we backed the coach into the garage and connected the fixed dish the Wally came to life.

We were puzzled and checked all the connections on the Traveler and used a cable tester to verify that the RG-6 runs were ok. We saw the diagram showing that a Solo Node should be used with a Hopper 1 and purchased one. We installed the Solo Node connected to the Red and Green cables coming out of the Traveler LNB and today pulled the coach back out and deployed the Traveler. Once the Western Arc was locked in we still could not get the Wally to work. Switched the Traveler to the 61 bird and tried again. No joy. Finally switched the Traveler back to 119 110 129 and took the Solo Node out. On a hunch I hit the Test feature in the upper right hand corner of the Diagnostic screen and after a bit the Wally was seeing signal and after what seemed like ten minutes was able to rebuild the guide. Everything is working but the locals are only in SD. Not sure why things would not work on the 61 satellite. Maybe I needed to also do the test thing. I just assumed since the dish behind the garage was on the Eastern Arc the Wally should already be set for that.

So here are my dilemmas.

Since getting the Wally to work on the Traveler is a major pain and requires the Wally to flush the East and store the West should I just leave it that way and live with the locals in SD.

or

Should I try to get the Traveler to work on the 61 satellite. I have seen posts where folks say they got the Traveler to work on the 61 but I think they were using a Hopper and not a Wally.

or

Should I convert the Traveler LNB to a Hybrid LNB.

Bob

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #2

Several things . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
I forgot to mention that the tech installed Eastern Arc LNB's aimed at what I think is 61.5 and 77.
Since I think Knoxville uses the Eastern Arc for TV locals, the fixed dish your DISH installer put up probably has two LNBs -- sats 61.5 and 72.7. But it could also have three -- 61.5, 72.7, and 77.

Quote:
The next step was the conversion of the Winegard Traveler from Direct to Dish. The conversion kit included a 3 LNB arm for the Western Arc. When we pulled the coach out of the garage last week the Traveler locked in on 119 110 and 129. We were not able to get the Wally to acquire the satellites . . .
Did you perform a "Test Installation" on the Wally? You have to do this every time you move your receiver (or RV).

Quote:
I assumed there must be a problem with the LNB's since the cables were the same as the ones on the Direct setup.
That's a bad assumption.

Quote:
So here are my dilemmas.

Since getting the Wally to work on the Traveler is a major pain and requires the Wally to flush the East and store the West should I just leave it that way and live with the locals in SD.

or

Should I try to get the Traveler to work on the 61 satellite. I have seen posts where folks say they got the Traveler to work on the 61 but I think they were using a Hopper and not a Wally.

or

Should I convert the Traveler LNB to a Hybrid LNB.
I'm pretty sure it's not the Travler or Wally's fault. It's not working probably because of something you did or didn't do which could include . . .
  • The DirecTV-to-DISH Travler conversion you did
  • Wiring from the Travler to the Wally
  • Failure to do a "Test Installation"

Finally, don't use a Hybrid LNB on a Travler.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Several things . . .

Since I think Knoxville uses the Eastern Arc for TV locals, the fixed dish your DISH installer put up probably has two LNBs -- sats 61.5 and 72.7. But it could also have three -- 61.5, 72.7, and 77.

Yes, a DP Plus LNB. The house is also a DP Plus with two LNB's. The Traveler is a DP Plus with three LNB's. I stand corrected and understand the Eastern Arc is 61.5 and 72.7. I am new to satellite technology and trying to learn.

Did you perform a "Test Installation" on the Wally? You have to do this every time you move your receiver (or RV).

So you have to do a "Test Installation" even if you are only moving the motorhome forward 60 feet. I was under the assumption that with the Wally setup for the Eastern Arc on the dish behind the garage, pulling forward and locking the Traveler on the 61 satellite would still work. So you are saying that even with the Traveler locked on the 61 I still need to do the "Test Installation" because the LNB changed from the dish behind the garage to the Traveler.

That's a bad assumption.

Maybe, but I made my living for 50 years in the field of electronics, much of that being in the field or an industrial environment. I am quite custom to testing electrical continuity and following wiring diagrams. Do I make mistakes? Of course, but I am no amateur.

I'm pretty sure it's not the Travler or Wally's fault. It's not working probably because of something you did or didn't do which could include . . .
  • The DirecTV-to-DISH Travler conversion you did
  • Wiring from the Travler to the Wally
  • Failure to do a "Test Installation"

I have high confidence that it is not the first two. Being new to Dish and the Wally I was not aware of the fact that the Wally needed to be reinitialized every time its GPS location changed. Now I know and will do that every time the coach moves.

You did not answer my question regarding the SD resolution on locals when using the Western Arc. Are you assuming that the Wally will lock on the 61.5 when using the Traveler if I do the "Test Installation" and we will receive our locals in HD and the locals being in SD on the Western Arc is only an issue if we are to far west to receive the Eastern Arc?

Finally, don't use a Hybrid LNB on a Travler.

OK, will stay with the DP Plus.

Thanks for your help,

Bob
Old 11-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have never had to run a test switch routine when moving the RV from one location to another but I never change from the western arc. The only time you have to run a test switch is if you change antenna types, like from a triple LNB to a single LNB carryout or from the east to west arcs. The triple LNB uses switch 1.2k and the carryout uses SW64. I don't even have to run a test switch when I move the Wallies from the home antenna to the Trav'ler.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
This morning I pulled the motorhome back out to see if the Wally would do a warm start on the Western Arc via the Traveler. It did not but I think the problem was the Wally did a reset last night because I forgot to plug the 50 amp shore power back in and the SOC dropped to 49% by 9:30 when I went out to the garage. I think perhaps when the frig started the compressor the voltage went low enough that the inverter dropped out momentarily causing the Wally to loose its setup. At any rate after doing the "Test Installation" the Wally came back up on the Western Arc.

Next I changed the Traveler to do a manual seek for the 61 satellite and repeated the "Test Installation". The Wally displayed a message that if I saved the setup I would loose channels because one satellite was missing. Saved it anyway. I assume that was the 72.7 bird because we no longer receive Sirius/XM. Not a big deal because everything else we watch is on 61.5 including HD locals. At any rate I left the Traveler in the Manual 61 mode and will use it that way as we travel. It will be some time before we get back out west but when we do may have to go back to the Multi-Sat mode. Its to bad the Traveler want do a skew in the Manual Mode so it will pick up both Eastern Arc birds.

The next test I need to do is connect back to the fixed dish behind the garage and see if the Wally works without doing a "Test Installation". That way I can keep the authorization active and when we hit the road want have to do a "Test Installation" to receive the satellites.

Thanks for the help,

Bob
Old 11-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #6

We dont keep our Wally connected to maintain the authorization. You can go online and login to your account and re-activate from there. Takes about five minutes for signal to come on. We do this as one of our pre-trip check list items.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Wally East West Dilemma

Every time you change dishes like your garage eastern and the travler on western or eastern you will need to run the test. Your garage sees 2 or 3 birds the travler sees something different . Also every time you remove power from it you will need to run the reset but it wonít take long , we keep ours is running 24/7. The Wally doesnít remember anything ( dish settings) when the power is off.
If you leave it offline for more than a few weeks / month you will need to re authorize which you can do from the MyDISH app on a Phone super easy just leave it off and if itís more than a month remove it and save the 7 bucks you can re add it, assuming you own it and itís not dishes property ( they have it to you free)
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
At any rate I left the Traveler in the Manual 61 mode and will use it that way as we travel. It will be some time before we get back out west but when we do may have to go back to the Multi-Sat mode. Its to bad the Traveler want do a skew in the Manual Mode so it will pick up both Eastern Arc birds.
Stick with Multi-Sat mode because in most cases the Western Arc sats (110, 119, 129) will work fine. When you use manual mode, at best you'll only get sat 61.5.

Here's a Western/Eastern Arc "map" (somewhat dated): DISH Television Markets (2017).

Finally, why not take your Hopper 3 with you? You just have to add a DPH42 switch between your Travler and Hopper, like so: Travler-DPH42-Hopper 3.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Stick with Multi-Sat mode because in most cases the Western Arc sats (110, 119, 129) will work fine. When you use manual mode, at best you'll only get sat 61.5.

Here's a Western/Eastern Arc "map" (somewhat dated): DISH Television Markets (2017).

We do spend some time in Florida in the winter so the Western Arc would be fine there since the locals there are HD on both West and East. We would have to change our zip code to Tampa or Orlando anyway because the locals from home would be out of range.

Finally, why not take your Hopper 3 with you? You just have to add a DPH42 switch between your Travler and Hopper, like so: Travler-DPH42-Hopper 3.
We don't have a Hopper 3, we have the Hopper DUO. Besides I don't like the hassle of moving a receiver back and forth.

Bob
Old 11-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I was able to receive the western arc satellites as far northeast as Bar Harbor Maine last year. The sats were low in the sky, but it did still work.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #11

Quote:
We don't have a Hopper 3, we have the Hopper DUO.
I think for about $5 more per month you could have the far superior Hopper 3, but I'm guessing you're not interested.

For those other DirecTV users switching to DISH . . .

Don't let DISH talk you into a Hopper Duo. It's a brick. Don't take my word -- these guys are the experts.

Anyway, if you're not that into TV, get the less expensive Wally . . . which is also a 2-tuner receiver like the Duo.

But for a little more a Hopper 3 is your best bet . . . 16 tuners, PTAT, 2TB hard drive for whole-house DVR, etc, etc.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Best thing I ever did was dump DTV and get Dish, a Hopper 3 for home, and a Wally and tailgater for the RV.

No more phone calls for help, no more spending an hour to pull in the satellites.

I like life simple as possible.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:34 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I think for about $5 more per month you could have the far superior Hopper 3, but I'm guessing you're not interested.

[/I]
We signed up with Dish on a promotional deal that locks in a low rate for two years and gave us a $300 gift card. That is why they installed the Hopper Duo and the DP Plus LNB. I suspect if we called and complained the deal would be off and the price would go to the standard rate. We are doing just fine at home with the Hopper Duo because we record most of our shows on the TiVo Bolt connected to an OTA antenna. I plan to stay with this scenario so that if we are away from home and change our locals it will not affect what may be recorded at home.

Bob
Old 11-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerwin View Post
We dont keep our Wally connected to maintain the authorization. You can go online and login to your account and re-activate from there. Takes about five minutes for signal to come on. We do this as one of our pre-trip check list items.
I don't have the Wally. I have the 211. I use the Dish app on my phone to turn the service off and on. Thereby only paying for the service when we are on the road and using it.