RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2018, 05:01 AM   #1

Wally with Winegard Roadtrip Mission - What's Normal?

I have a 2013 Tiffin Phaeton that came with a Dish Wally receiver and Winegard Roadtrip Mission in-motion roof antenna. I would like to hear from others what their experience has been with this setup. My experience with this setup has been very frustrating i.e. not finding all satellites, taking way too long to perform the check switch, too long to download channel guides, having to reboot several times, etc. Even if I'm in the middle of a parking lot, it seems to take a long time to lock onto satellites and download the guide. I've spent countless hours on the phone with Dish and, to a lesser extent, with Winegard. I've about concluded that maybe I need to consider changing out hardware

jimbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Do you turn on the antenna first and wait until it stops moving before turning on the receiver? The check switch routine takes a long time but you shouldn't have to do it very often - like once.

Dome antennas can be finicky - moisture on the dome will cut the signal way down. Just because you are sitting in a parking lot doesn't mean you have a clear shot to the satellite. Got a smart phone? Download the Winegard Sat Finder app and use that to show you where in the sky the satellites are.

Walk us through your setup.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Hi jimbel,

It would be worthwhile to find the serial number on the satellite - it if is on a 2013 model year Phaeton and was installed in the factory, it could have been manufactured prior to January 1, 2013 and not be fully compatible some of the changes DISH has made to its orbital satellite fleet since then.

You can find more information at this link: DISH 8PSK Transition and Winegard Satellites ‚ÄĒ winegard.com

If you do find that it does have a serial built before, you can follow the instructions on that page. If you find it was built after, it may be a configuration issue. Here is a good link that details the process that will work best for configuring the receiver for SW64 to work with the RoadTrip: Problem with Dish Network

I assume being on a Tiffin it is an in-motion, but if not, the above steps still apply minus the conical search information in Step 2. Also, might be worth verifying you are connecting the primary coax to your receiver - the secondary does not have the ability to initiate a toggle on the antenna and it will only install satellite 119.

Hopefully this info helps you get started on determining what is required to get everything up and working - if you come up with any other questions, please let me know.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:30 AM   #4

I’m familiar with the steps to get the antenna to find satellites first and the apps. I spent over an hour with Winegard on the phone yesterday who concluded that my dome is either bad or is a pre2013 model which I need to confirm by getting on the roof and removing the cover. Thanks for the feedback
Old 09-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #5

First, Winegard has no idea which of their domes will work with DISH 8PSK transmissions and which will not for sure, it's a try it and see type of thing. Don't let them tell you different. I have a RoadTrip Mission on my 2013 coach that was made in 072012. According to Winegard it will not work with DISH but it works perfectly. I know of other Winegard dome owners with coaches as old as 2010 and their antennas are working just fine with DISH.

Second, have you ever been able to get the system to work and show programming on your TV's?

Third, has your Wally updated to the latest firmware?
Old 09-22-2018, 04:30 AM   #6

JIMBEL- We just got through with a similar situation in our 2014 34QFA with the Winegard satellite. My wife called DISH and spent quite a long time on the phone with a person who eventually told her that she needed to replace the sat dish. We couldn't get signal from either the Wally or the 211z receiver.

That didn't sit right with me, so a couple of days later, I got the things set up and called DISH. First person tried and decided it was the receiver (211z) that was bad and sent me to a second person. Second person said he could not help so I was sent to a third person. Third person listened to my tale of woe and we went through the same set up procedures as person #1. Then he said to take out the credit card thingy(don't remember what it is called) in the receiver and re-insert it. Then restart the receiver. We did that and bingo everything started to work properly. We also have a Wally, and it too wasn't working, so I removed and re-inserted the card and bingo all is well.

Hope this helps you as well.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:37 AM   #7

Dish tells me that my version is current. I have been able to get a good signal before but lately it seems that it takes a LONGGGG time to find satellites, for the receiver to receive the signal and download the guide, especially when compared to the Pathway X2. I wonder if it is possible to have a technician run diagnostics on the antenna
Old 09-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbel View Post
Dish tells me that my version is current. I have been able to get a good signal before but lately it seems that it takes a LONGGGG time to find satellites, for the receiver to receive the signal and download the guide, especially when compared to the Pathway X2. I wonder if it is possible to have a technician run diagnostics on the antenna
So the system was working and now is taking a long time to set up. How long is a long time, 5 minutes, 20 minutes, 1 hour? After this long time does the system work properly?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #9

We’ve been on the road for three months so it’s hard to nail down how long usual is since we change locations. We’re currently in central Ohio. But it’s never less than 30 minutes. Usually an hour or more. After the dish stops searching, I may show only 2 satellites then search again and end up with only one satellite even though I have a clear view of the sky. Even if I happen to see all 3 satellites, Dish may not ever finish acquiring a signal or I may have to reboot the receiver multiple times It’s not unusual for the entire process to take a couple of hours before the antenna finds the satellites, dish acquires the signal and downloads the guide
Old 09-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbel View Post
Weíve been on the road for three months so itís hard to nail down how long usual is since we change locations. Weíre currently in central Ohio. But itís never less than 30 minutes. Usually an hour or more. After the dish stops searching, I may show only 2 satellites then search again and end up with only one satellite even though I have a clear view of the sky. Even if I happen to see all 3 satellites, Dish may not ever finish acquiring a signal or I may have to reboot the receiver multiple times Itís not unusual for the entire process to take a couple of hours before the antenna finds the satellites, dish acquires the signal and downloads the guide

OK, do this. Remove the coax from the SAT IN connection on the receiver. Re-run checkswitch. You will get a warning about not finding satellites, select yes to save the results. Then reconnect the coax and run checkswitch again. Does it find all three satellites on the first try with a SW64 switch installed ? If so are you able to select all your channels?
Old 09-23-2018, 10:40 PM   #11
Commercial Member

We still need to verify it's an in-motion, but I'd say it likely is if it was factory installed by Tiffin.

The link I had in the other post has the instructions specifically for in-motion. You should not run the check switch immediately after the antenna locks, as we go into our conical search and after six minutes if no movement is detected, our system will go verify alternate satellites. If it does this while you are running the check switch test, it can botch the switch installation.

Make sure to let it lock to 119, then wait 6-8 minutes until the antenna is completely silent for at least 30 seconds before running your check switch test.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #12

The last two messages are telling me to try two different things. It would be FANTASTIC if there was a troubleshooting document somewhere. At different times I’ve been told to try unplugging and plugging back in the power cord, or the coax,, removing and re-inserting the card, turning the receiver off and on, turning the antenna off and back on, there seems to be too many different things that are suggested to try What’s happening now is I only get satellite 110 but do not have the SW64 switch. Since I was told to be sure that I don’t do anything until I lock onto 119, I don’t know what I should do next since I don’t know what each one of those different steps due to solve the particular problem. I really do appreciate everyone’s help. But I’m sure everyone would appreciate specific instructions on what to do when you have problems like SW64 doesn’t show up.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #13

What should a normal diagnostics screen look like? What information should be in each data field?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #14

If you do as I suggested it will clear the receiver memory settings, which sometimes get overloaded, and allow the receiver to start from a fresh checkswitch to down load the satellites and a fresh SW64 switch routine.

What Winegard is saying is to not do anything till the antenna has COMPLETELY come to a rest and found the 119 satellite AND completed the program download AND you have at least the 101 channel displayed on the screen AND the unit has stopped grinding and gone to sleep.

Since you are saying it will not find the 119 channel in the first place that advice won't work.

What I am saying is to TURN OFF the antenna, disconnect the SAT IN coax from the receiver, THEN run checkswitch. The receiver will do it's thing and then give you a message that it didn't find any satellites, you select yes to save those results. THEN unplug the unit, reconnect the coax, turn the receiver back on, Then turn the antenna back on. Wait for the antenna to do it's thing and become quiet COMPLETELY for 10 minutes. If your channels have not loaded by then rerun checkswitch and see if you have all three satellites and the SW 64 switch routine.