Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #15

info came from a local provider. Although the behavior I had on my ATT phone and what I now have on my Verizon phone matches some of the behavior described when GSM sets are subject to high CDMA signal density.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
They must use AT&T because the coverage maps are identical. Their coverage in many of the places we travel is inadequate. YMMV
That's what I think too and we quit AT&T because of the lousy coverage. Here at work if I'm at my desk I can't get a signal, I have to stand by a window. With Verizon I can be in the basement or elevator and still get a signal
Our Verizon contract is up in a few months and I'd really like to to go with Consumer, but I can't if it's AT&T's coverage area. Too many other dead areas in our travels too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP, I'm pretty sure ALL of the companies have "hidden" fees that you don't find out about till you sign up. It's not right but they do like KOA's (Keep On Adding). They just add fees for everything.
I just got a spam text message, we don't have text messaging on our plan but I can't shut it off from receiving them so I'll have to pay the charge for even the spam message.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Be grateful you do not have a contract. But the activation fee is fair. They do have expenses to turn your telephones on.

In defense of AT&T, I have found them to be most helpful whenever I call them with a problem, which is rare. As for their coverage, I have 3G service even in the tiny town of Whitwell, Tennessee. I'm able to tether my MacBook to my iPhone and have connectivity just about anywhere.

On the other hand, Verizon is the dominant carrier in the Sequatchie Valley of Tennessee, and I cannot count the number of people who are dissatisfied with their customer service.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Funny we have Verizon and don't have a problem in that area with service. hmmmmmm
And it's not that calls are blocked from a carrier, it's the fact that the carrier does not have anything on the towers around there. Used to work for a tower company and the cell companies rent and put the stuff on the towers. No stuff on the tower no service from them. Of course the cell companies can and do build their own towers too so it maybe just that that's the case here.
This is correct. We worked for the wired side of Verizon that provides the T1s to the cell towers. Each tower would have T1s for Verizon Wireless, AT&T and any other provider that wanted to pay for them and pay rent to whoever owned the tower. If your provider did not buy into all of that, no service in that area.

It is hard to wrap your head around it but when you call from one cell to another it, with few exceptions, goes through the public switched telephone network (ma Bell) just like the old fashion phone that hung on your kitchen wall.

BTW Verizon keeps the wired side and the wireless side completely separate making the old wired side that made the money that build the wireless look not profitable and the wireless side profitable even though it all falls under stock named VZ.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Verizon is slimy like that.

No Contract service is the way of the future. I will never again sign another contract for cell coverage. I use Straight Talk, who is a subsidiary of TracPhone (sold thru wally world, or online). They offer unlimited everything service for flat $45/mo, or 1000 minutes/1000 texts for flat $30/mo) no contract no fees no surprises. You can choose to be on the verizon of ATT network (depending on which phone you buy, GSM is on the ATT network, and CDMA on Verizon) Their tech support sucks, but so does Verizons. Porting your number is quick and easy thru their web site.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
verizon