Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 01:55 AM   #1

Was warned to clean up the Mac

Recently, my Mac always warned me that there was too much junk on my computer to clean up. I checked my laptop and did the cleanup.But the warning is still there , What's going on here ?
haskes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 03:26 AM   #2

Call Apple Support. They still help me with my 2011 Mac.
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:29 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Exactly, "HOW" did the Mac warn you ??

If you were warned thru a website, you might have been scammed!
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’ve never had that kind of warning come from MacOS. Usually theses come from a bad web site that’s managed to plant adware or malware on the computer. Basic rule is never click on a link that a web site or email offers you. An example are sites that offer to update Flash (which is full of exploitable holes anyway). If you need the update, manually navigate to the site. I do this even for sites with which I’m familiar. I have one financial management site I use a lot that sends emails with links to do various things. The site is legit, and I don’t have any real concerns that they are sending me bogus links. But I never click their links, but rather navigate to the site outside of the email line if I need to.

There is an extremely aggressive software company marketing an application MacKeeper. They plant aggressive adware on computers that keeps telling you that you need to protect your computer and that all sorts of bad things can happen. The messages are really persistent and the only way it seems to dismiss them is to force quit Safari and reboot the computer. Same thing happens with sketchy sites that pop up the “Congratulations Amazon Customer” windows you can’t dismiss.

My wife has managed to contract their adware and it seems to go away for awhile and then starts popping up again. She also gets the occasional really bad malware messages that probably have ransomware payloads. I get a lot of requests from her to look at pop ups she gets. I may have to do a complete clean install of MacOS to get rid of it.

There is a lot of debate over what MacKeeper does. Fortunately it doesn’t seem to do bad things, but also seems not to do the things that are advertised either. I appears that the only thing it really does is generate income for the owners.

I use a program called Clean Your Mac. This is a utility that finds and allows you to get rid of the files that clog up your disk drive and delete unwanted software. It seems pretty effective, especially for people who really don’t know much about getting rid of old stuff. I ran Clean Your Mac on my wife’s iMac yesterday and it got rid of about 25% of the hard drive capacity in junk files. She was real close to filling up the drive. I run it about once a month on each of our computers.
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This topic got me thinking a bit more. I found another highly recommended (by reputable folks) program that will also help. It’s MalwareBytes for Mac. Here is a review

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/28/malwa...e-app-for-mac/
Old 06-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Did it warn you of this?

https://macpaw.com/how-to/startup-disk-full-on-mac-os-x

also here is a good article on checking the state of your drive and ways to evaluate how mucvh space is being used and by what.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...n-mac-3504803/
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post

I use a program called Clean Your Mac.
Correction - CleanMyMac3

https://macpaw.com/landings/land350?...SAAEgJ_A_D_BwE
Old 06-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
This topic got me thinking a bit more. I found another highly recommended (by reputable folks) program that will also help. It’s MalwareBytes for Mac. Here is a review

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/28/malwa...e-app-for-mac/
I use MalwareBytes for Windows and it does a great job of keeping out adware and finding malicious code. I thought this was primarily a Windows problem, but now it seems they are going after Macs too.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #9

+1 on Malwarebytes. It is the only non apple app you will ever hear apple suggest.

You also want to make sure your homepage in all your web browsers isn't hyjacked to something like chum search. Remove your extensions that you don't recognize. Go into system preferences and remove any profiles that you don't recognize. These are under "profiles" not users and groups. If you don't see profiles then none are installed. These are 3 things that malwarebytes won't fix.

My advice because I deal with this daily. Your anti-malware on your Mac is you. You won't get malware on it when your MacOS is fully up to date currently (10.12.4 or 5 cant remember) and you don't help something to install. If you don't click to allow something to install it won't happen and you won't have malware. Stop downloading crap a website tells you to and installing it. Its that simple. No fancy programs to slow down your computer. You and your little clicky fingers to keep things up to date and not install stuff that is questionable.

Don't click on the "you must install flash player to view this website" message when on a website. Don't click on the warning that comes up when you are on a website that your computer is infected, do not call any number that comes up on your screen. (this website has had this issue too) If you need a number for a company. Don't ask google...google has ugly friends and they lie. Go to the website of who you are contacting and view the contact info. Many companies don't have numbers at all. Why do people call fake apple numbers and buy gift cards to give to the scammers is beyond me but it happens to people that say they won't let it happen to them.

A Mac will not tell you there is anything wrong with your computer such as viruses or malware. It won't tell you its infected or your iCloud account is about to explode if you don't call some number and give them $1000 in iTunes gift cards. Same with your iOS devices.

It will quietly tell you you have low disk space. Thats all it says. It may take you to storage in about this Mac but it isn't going to tell you to click here to fix it. There is no application. The current MacOS is very good at managing itself and your computer. it doesn't need help.

How to free up space on your Mac. Direct from the apple website. No fancy things required https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996
Old 06-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Not a Mac guy!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Call Apple Support. They still help me with my 2011 Mac.
He said it was probably my Mac that had a lot of junk data or software, just delete it completely .But that's what I did.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
Exactly, "HOW" did the Mac warn you ??

If you were warned thru a website, you might have been scammed!
When I turn on the MAC, a dialog box appears on the screen.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Did it warn you of this?

https://macpaw.com/how-to/startup-disk-full-on-mac-os-x

also here is a good article on checking the state of your drive and ways to evaluate how mucvh space is being used and by what.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...n-mac-3504803/
Thanks
Old 06-24-2018, 08:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Oh ,Maybe I should try your method to clean up it .