Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Was your big screen TV to big?

Ready to replace the 26 inch LCD with bigger size. Did you install one you now think is oversized for viewing area?
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
No such thing.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah, yep...believe it or not. But, not for the reason you might think.

I replaced the original 24" in the main room with a 42". It seemed to fit the space, but I found out that when stowed (I changed from a fixed mount to an articulated arm for better viewing from the dinette), it stuck out past the corner of the wall it was hanging on. This little bit blocked some of the hallway to the rear of the RV.

That was NOT a good thing, because it could accidently get hit by one of us, while driving - yes, we get up from our seats while driving...but don't tell anyone

I went down to a 40" that also had a smaller case and it fit much better.

For pics, see post 2 and 36 here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...es-149108.html

Bigger isn't always better...but usually it is

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I put a 32" Vizio on a cabinet opposite the couch. A 28" would have been plenty. I don't have any plans to replace it.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Ah, yep...believe it or not. But, not for the reason you might think.Safe travels
Good point! I just changed my shopping list to a double arm articulating mount. The 42" 3D on sale at Walmart for $398 is still on the list.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Good point! I just changed my shopping list to a double arm articulating mount. The 42" 3D on sale at Walmart for $398 is still on the list.
Wall Mounts

Here is a very good website with almost any available option for tv mounts.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
No such thing.
+1

I have trying to figure out a way to use my spare projector and 92" screen. The biggest huddle is getting past the DW.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Chuck,
Our 2008 has the middle of the coach position for the television. The OEM was 30" and weighed 117 pounds. Unfortunately nothing can stick out past the end of the built-in 36" and a few 16ths of an inch cabinet opening because the slide clears the area by about 2 inches.

So, with many trips to different stores I actually found a Panasonic that was 36" wide and a 36" viewing area (as measured diagonally - typical). I had to modify a mounting area and I used a full articulating tv mount. When we stop, I unstrap it, pull it forward, and when departing push it back into its hole for travel. I have to pull it forward because the speakers are on the bottom instead of projecting out the front frame. That is what gives it the dimensions I spoke about.

Anything is possible, it is just a matter of thinking it through and figuring out your best method. I once saw a 5th wheel where they mounted the TV on a full articulating arm right at the corner of the hall from the kitchen, up the short steps to the bed room. When it was stored it was flat against the hall wall. When being viewed it was swung around out of the way of the hall and could be viewed from the living room and kitchen.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #9

If it can give you a mild sunburn, then it's about big enough. Why get pale when you go camping?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #10

One other thing to keep in mind. If you have an extented warranty or service plan, check to see what they will cover. One that I was looking would cover up to 40" TVs, but not 42".
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
OP here. And done - decided on 39 inch with double articulating arm mount. With sound bar and wireless sub, component switcher, cables and misc hardware this is going to be a near $1,000 project. In a week or so I will post project in Mods. Stumbling block right now is how to get HDMI cables thru or around steel bulkhead used to hang front cabinets.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a 32" LCD 6' across from the couch and replaced it with a 46" LED 3D Smart Samsung.
That is a better size for being 6' from the screen.
And I can now see those lug nuts roll on the ground at those NASCAR pit stops. 32" only could see them come off the wheel.

So bigger then 46" for me would be too much. I would have to turn my head side to side to see the whole screen with a bigger one.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
OP here. And done - decided on 39 inch with double articulating arm mount. With sound bar and wireless sub, component switcher, cables and misc hardware this is going to be a near $1,000 project. In a week or so I will post project in Mods. Stumbling block right now is how to get HDMI cables thru or around steel bulkhead used to hang front cabinets.
Congrats! What path do you intend for the HDMI cable run?

I believe the TV wall in your Daybreak is similar to the Outlaw's, so see post #46 here about what I did for running cables: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...-149108-4.html

In the future I will use the cable run to bring TV audio back to the dash stereo.

The steel bulkhead holding up the A/V cabinet can be bypassed easily by going under it, once you pull down the fascia board. Once the fascia is back-up everything is hidden.

Best Luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote