RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

Watching DVR With Hopper 3

With our DirecTV receiver, we could watch the DVR recordings even if we could not find a satellite signal in wooded campgrounds. With the Hopper 3, we are finding that we get an error message that will not allow us to watch recordings. Is this just not possible with the Hopper 3 if the dish does not find the satellites? Chuck

chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Once the Hopper does it's startup and reaches the point after "9999 Staerting Up..." where you get the next message such as "535 Acquiring Satellites" Hit the Home then DVR buttons or directly hit the DVR button, you'll be able to watch your saved programs.

Farther down the process after it times out trying to acquire sats and goes to a different error message, you can still get to the DVR recordings. I don't remember exactly what I do but try the BACK button, the HOME button. You just need to get past that error so you can hit the DVR button.

powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

We watch the DVR anytime there is a heavy storm and loose the sat signal. It tells you right on the screen that you can. If connected to the internet, you can also watch on demand when there is no sat signal.
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #4

This is not a weather issue, that is totally different. Randy, that only works for a short period. Then I get an error message that the outside connection needs to be made to continue watching TV. None of the remote buttons will work once the error message comes up. It works fine for about 15 to 20 minutes and then the message shows up. None of the buttons on the remote will respond once the error message shows up. Chuck
Old 09-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #5

Never ran into that all the years we have had dish. Maybe something wrong with the Hopper itself.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Never ran into that all the years we have had dish. Maybe something wrong with the Hopper itself.
Are you saying you have been able to watch your DVR with your Trav'ler dish stowed and not locked into any satellite? Chuck
Old 09-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #7

If the sat is blocked by anything and it can't pick up a signal then the screen says you can watch DVR or on demand if its in the on demand folder.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Are you saying you have been able to watch your DVR with your Trav'ler dish stowed and not locked into any satellite? Chuck
I have Dish, and yes I can watch dvr with the dish stowed. I do not have the Hopper however.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have a Hopper 3. It works on mine. If you use the Hopper without a Dish locked on Sats ...

- first, you get 535 Acquiring Signal (This should not take more than 5 minutes to complete...)
- then, you get 015A Complete Signal Loss Screen. As noted it says you can watch DVR recordings.

- press the DVR button on your remote, you'll get the DVR screen and can watch saved programs

- you can also press HOME and select ON Demand if you are connected to the internet watch
and watch from the Dish OnLine Library

- If you still can't get it to work I suggest you call Dish for hand holding and technical support
IT DOES WORK :-)
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #10

Quote:
If the sat is blocked by anything and it can't pick up a signal then the screen says you can watch DVR or on demand if its in the on demand folder.
My Hopper 3 does not say this if the signal is BLOCKED. The Trav'ler will continue searching for a period of time and then stow itself. When this happens there is no message to watch DVR or on demand. Are you using the Trav'ler? Chuck
Old 09-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #11

Hmmmm, not getting 015A Complete Signal Loss Screen. I will try again but this will be the third time. Chuck
Old 09-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
I have Dish, and yes I can watch dvr with the dish stowed. I do not have the Hopper however.
Then you can't help me. Chuck
Old 09-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #13

If I were you, I would call Dish and talk to them about it. They are usually most helpful.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
If I were you, I would call Dish and talk to them about it. They are usually most helpful.
And they will tell me my Hopper should be used at home and not in the RV. Chuck