Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #1

Question Ways to connect to internet while traveling - New to RVing

I tried a search but seem challenged in that too. I asked the Verizon store clerk and his recommendation was to buy this small box thingie and a blue tooth phone. With an added monthly cost of course. I read the thread on the new ruling against that, if you have unlimited. We do not have unlimited calling.

My son in law says to change our new 2nd generation iPad for one that has a wireless hotspot. That would cost a lot more for the new iPad and then what would the internet connection charges be!

Does satellite work with internet? I understand Direct TV can be used at home and while travelling for TV, so long as you buy an antennae for the MH. Can it be up while traveling? We have cable at home now and neighbors who switched to a dish are sorry they did.

Anyone up to a bit of hand holding for this technically challenged newbie and walk me through the choices as to reliable and least costly - in that order?

Thanks!
Peggy and Paul
3bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #2

It seems the overwhelming amount of RV'ers are using and are satisfied with a Verizon Mi-Fi solution. With their newest device (black box thingy), you can add 10 devices (ie, phones, laptop, etc) to it (more than you need, but I think they have dropped their "five" option). Start up costs IF you don't need a new phone, etc., is about $100. Most folks opt for their 20 gigabyte data plan which will run you right at $70 per month.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #3

I have not found a cheap fix for reliable internet service while on the road. The cheapest way that I have found is to only stay at parks with wifi. I have an iphone with a hotspot (ATT). Other people we know have other carriers and the reception is still spotty. Problem is that at least 1/3 of the places we camp seem to have no 3g or 4g data service. Last place it did not work was 10 miles from lansing MI in a state park. Phone service but no data connection. I also have a Jafa tech wifi extender antennae in the rig but that does not really work because the wifi signals have to be really close.
Direct TV is not an internet signal. There is a service called Wild Blue and others for satellite internet service but it is expensive.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I use a US Cellular Samsung hotspot for $50/month all over the USA.
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! No problem asking newbie questions.

Just some random thoughts on your questions:

* If you're going to be staying mostly at campgrounds, you could just use the park's wifi... if they have it. Not very reliable but cheap.

-if you want your own internet access so you can stay connected all the time, Verizon is probably the way to go. Best coverage and probably most popular with RVers. I use one of their old USB modems with a wireless router but should probably upgrade soon since they have better options now.

-satellite internet is pretty complicated, expensive and not very practical for most RVers.

* If your have DirecTv (or Dish Network for that matter) at home, yes you can take a receiver with you when you travel.

-once you get around 200 miles from home, you'll lose the ability to see your "local channels" which includes all of the major network programming. . . unless you get Distant Network Subscriber service which costs more.

-yes you need to get a satellite dish for the RV. If you buy a "dome" type dish, you can receive service while driving... however, dome use is limited to Dish Network services or standard def programming from DirecTv.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #6

I strongly recommend a remote satellite dish for RV'g. I have tried them both M/H mounted and remote. The remote will always work, because you can always find a place to shoot through trees etc. Take the receiver out of your house and you will incur no additional programming cost. My brother bought a coach mounted dome and he almost was never able to use it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry iPhone, but don't tether it for other computers to have access. Thinking about enabling tethering or getting one of the 4G portable hotspots.

For computers I use mostly CG provided WiFi. Often poor signal coverage, so I have a repeater unit with high gain outside antenna - also allows for multiple computers to connect.

You likely will not find one solution that works all the time. Sometimes no WiFi, sometimes no 3G/4G coverage.

Also depends on where you go camping. In the desert season here in SoCal we are often where there is nothing at all available.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #8

Thank you so much for the responses. We use verizon but the clerk didn't check our phones so I don't know if we would need a new one. We wiill only have two devices (if Paul keeps his iPad. He's computer-phobic).

We plan to be mostly traveling, staying maybe a week or so if we really like a spot. For now we are getting our feet wet with short ventures. Hoping to leave for five months in November.

A few years ago we tried a Road Trek but Paul couldn't stand the squeeze. I have just recovered from a year of illness and it was time to try again. with a 34' Class A. We only used the Road Trek for three weeks. Always used campground WiFi.

With extended travel and maybe some stays of a week or more, I need access to my addiction: Photoshop, and to the net so bought a laptop to handle that. Too big to hold in my lap while traveling - hence the iPad. That and, hopefully, keeping Paul entertained with Netflix, etc.

My main concern is connecting while we are on the road to find stopping places and reviews for campgrounds before we stop. Some have said the campground connections are not reliable, which also concerns me; but for just the use while driving, I don't think we need 20 GB.

Do I understand that some phones (smart phones) have a built in "hot spot?" I'm thinking that's the connection my son in law was thinking of when he talked about upgrading the iPad. We are also thinking of looking at iPad alternatives that might do the same thing - but that's for another thread.

"US Cellular Samsung hotspot" Is that with a phone service like Verizon? Does it work with Verizon but the monthly fee goes to Samsung?

Rick, you use a modem and wireless router (with laptop?) How does that all connect to the net when not using campground connection?

I don't think at this point, from what I'm reading, we would need the satellite if it's just for TV.

Vince, do you have a link or a quick explaination of the repeater unit with outside antenna. We only have one laptop and the iPad.

Peggy and Paul
Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bells View Post

Rick, you use a modem and wireless router (with laptop?) How does that all connect to the net?

Peggy and Paul
Yes.

I use a Trucker's cellular antenna mounted to my crank up batwing TV antenna. I ran the cable in through the roof to a Verizon USB modem which plugs into a Cradlepoint 350 wireless router. This give us a wireless network in the coach which three laptops connect through. Even with the batwing cranked in the down position, we nearly always have a good internet connection while traveling. We've also been able to get internet connections in places where we couldn't even get a good voice connection.

Our old plan with Verizon charges us $60/mo for "unlimited" data usage and we can deactivate the service when we're not traveling.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #10

Wow that sounds ingenious and a bit complicated. I think the box connection the Verizon clerk showed us was about $60 a month, (that might have included $20 a month for the box thingie, I wasn't clear if that was a one time or monthly charge) but that was for either 2 or 4 GBs. Is it because it's an old plan, or is there another plan he wasn't telling me about?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bells View Post
Wow that sounds ingenious and a bit complicated. I think the box connection the Verizon clerk showed us was about $60 a month, (that might have included $20 a month for the box thingie, I wasn't clear if that was a one time or monthly charge) but that was for either 2 or 4 GBs. Is it because it's an old plan, or is there another plan he wasn't telling me about?
I think I'm "grandfathered" in... at least for the time being... with the old unlimited plan. I think I'll have to change over soon but haven't yet done my homework to find the best solution yet.

My set up isn't really complicated (and certainly involved no genius ) but it is more complex than some of the plug and play options now available. Mine might provide a little better reception because of the external antenna but I can't swear to that.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
about a year ago while DW and I were on our 3 week annual vacation, we started looking at internet options due to most CG's weak internet signal. After much looking we went with Millenicom, largely because of their price. Nobody else came close. DW wanted MIFI so we could use all the laptops. So far so good. I'm writing this from a CG off the beaten path in Oregon and our signal is 5 bars...which is as strong as it gets. Check out their web site.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use Verizon for out internet service when on the road. As mentioned already the service is available just about everywhere. We've not had any problem at all. Good luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
I asked DW what the deal with Millenicom was. She tells me the MIFI (runs up to 5 devices) is $70 per month with 20 gigs of data. The other option we looked at was with Millenicoms unlimited plan, same price but used an airstick (runs one laptop) and was with Sprint. The MIFI plan is with Verizon. Hope this helps. I know how crazy it was for me trying to understand all the lingo and then trying to understand the plans. Don't worry so much about 4G as there arent a lot of places outside of major centres that have 4G. Take your time and figure out whats best for you. You sound like you were in the same boat we were. Hope this helps.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving