Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Try the weBoost 4G-M
and why that over the 4G-X ? The 4G-X is currently their best mobile product.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
We are about one month from heading into the depths of Texas for the winter season. Are there any updates about the availabilty of the WeBoost 4G-XR or the MaxAmp from Maximum Signal? Is the WeBoost RV-4G out of the picture at this point? \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
We are about one month from heading into the depths of Texas for the winter season. Are there any updates about the availabilty of the WeBoost 4G-XR or the MaxAmp from Maximum Signal? Is the WeBoost RV-4G out of the picture at this point? \ken
Still waiting on parts. We hope to be manufacturing in 2 to 3 weeks. Did get an advanced setup to the folks at Technomadia today . As soon as the refurbishing of their Motorhome is done , they should be able to do a review on our RV package. By the way the refurb on their motorhome is amazing . Anyone interested should check it out at their website. Technomadia | Adventures in Nomadic Serendipity
Maximum Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I think the RV 4G is available through distributors only at this time. I just emailed weboost for more information. Winter is coming and we all are getting ready for those signal poor but wonderful camping locations. I'll post what I hear.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 09-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Just got word back from WeBoost. Here is the link to CW for the RV 4G: Search - RV 4G - Camping World

I hope this helps you fine folks.

Rick Y
Old 09-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was reading the we boost RV 4G install guide on their web site. It speaks to walking around the RV with the directional panel antenna to find the strongest cell signal, and mounting the antenna on that side of the RV. My RV tends to move from time to time - I am expected to redo this procedure and remount the antenna each time?

I think/wonder if they are not using/speaking to a omnidirectional antenna mounted on the roof of the RV due to the unit's non-mobile regulatory requirement (due to the higher than allowed TX power for mobile)?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I was reading the we boost RV 4G install guide on their web site. It speaks to walking around the RV with the directional panel antenna to find the strongest cell signal, and mounting the antenna on that side of the RV. My RV tends to move from time to time - I am expected to redo this procedure and remount the antenna each time?

I think/wonder if they are not using/speaking to a omnidirectional antenna mounted on the roof of the RV due to the unit's non-mobile regulatory requirement (due to the higher than allowed TX power for mobile)?
The reason you have to use a directional panel is that if an omni directional antenna is used you will not be able to attain proper antenna separation and the amplifier will go into oscillation and shut down.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Signal View Post
The reason you have to use a directional panel is that if an omni directional antenna is used you will not be able to attain proper antenna separation and the amplifier will go into oscillation and shut down.

Is this true for just the weboost RV 4G, or are their other similar units from weboost or other vendors that can be used with omni antenna?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Is this true for just the weboost RV 4G, or are their other similar units from weboost or other vendors that can be used with omni antenna?
The other units are not as powerful so do not require as much antenna separation . This is an in home amplifier and should never be used in a mobile set up in the first place. That is why a directional antenna has to be used. It will be interested how this use of this amplifier will be viewed by the FCC. If you want one I would get it quick as I do not see them being around for long. I heard through the grapevine that it is coming under scrutiny of the FCC already.
Other vendors may have evolved their technology so there is not as separation needed . I know we have.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
I have posted a question to Wilson about difference between the Home 4G and RV 4G. Except for cable lengths provided in the kits and unit color pictured, they look identical in part numbers and function. The Home 4G is $50 cheaper than the RV 4G and available from Wilson. The RV 4G is available from Campingworld only at this time.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Setting up the unit is necessary each time you move. The signal strength is adjustable by pointing the outside antenna toward the tower. Each time you move this will be different of course. And, where it is illegal to use this device when moving, having a portable antenna is acceptable.

I just ordered the Home 4G. The outside antenna mounting and the cable lengths are the only difference from the RV 4G. Here is the link to the sale price of the Home 4G: https://store.weboost.com/products/connect-home-4g.

I like the option of the 2 30' cables. I have a better chance of clearing obstacles this way.

I'll post an update when I have this set up and tested.

Rick Y
Old 09-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Setting up the unit is necessary each time you move. The signal strength is adjustable by pointing the outside antenna toward the tower. Each time you move this will be different of course. And, where it is illegal to use this device when moving, having a portable antenna is acceptable.

I just ordered the Home 4G. The outside antenna mounting and the cable lengths are the only difference from the RV 4G. Here is the link to the sale price of the Home 4G: https://store.weboost.com/products/connect-home-4g.

I like the option of the 2 30' cables. I have a better chance of clearing obstacles this way.

I'll post an update when I have this set up and tested.

Rick Y
Just remember the key is antenna separation and not letting the system go into Oscillation. If that happens you may find reps from the FCC or one of the carriers at your door . They will not be happy that you are using a unit deemed for a stationary structure in an RV. End user fine now for improper use of equipment or unlicensed equipment is up to $10,000.00 . So be careful or it will cost you.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Signal View Post
Just remember the key is antenna separation and not letting the system go into Oscillation. If that happens you may find reps from the FCC or one of the carriers at your door . They will not be happy that you are using a unit deemed for a stationary structure in an RV. End user fine now for improper use of equipment or unlicensed equipment is up to $10,000.00 . So be careful or it will cost you.
Don't know about Maximum Signal's design or Wilson's, but the 2G/3G amp we have tells us when we're too close and either lowers the power or refuses to work at all until I relocate the antenna. I was under the impression that this was a standard feature to keep improper installs from wreaking havoc.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Don't know about Maximum Signal's design or Wilson's, but the 2G/3G amp we have tells us when we're too close and either lowers the power or refuses to work at all until I relocate the antenna. I was under the impression that this was a standard feature to keep improper installs from wreaking havoc.
Those Wilson? Weboost units can still go into Oscilliation . The FCC records are full of offenses. You used to just have to pay a fine quarterly no matter how many reports against you . Under the new regulations you get fined per offense. Just be careful as now the fines against the actual users is huge.And that particular amplifier is designated for the installation in a permanent structure. The Weboost people have explained that. And by the way we have never had an offense and our new amplifiers have no less than 26 fail safes built in so it does not happen.