Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #1

weBoost Drive 4G-XR

We are getting ready to outfit our new motorhome and are trying to decide on our internet connectivity. We want to concentrate on always getting a strong cell signal as this seems to be our most reliable connection. Most of the time RV park wifi is terrible. Even if there is a decent signal, the bandwith is such that it is impossible to do anything on the internet. I'm trying to figure out what the best signal booster for us would be. I've found the WeBoost 4G-XR that appears to have just been released. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this unit and can give me their assessment on it's functionality. Will the inside antenna cover the whole motorhome or does the cell phone need to be close to the antenna?

I also found the Max Amp by Maximum Signal, but it appears that this product is not being shipped yet. If I'm incorrect on that and someone can comment on it I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbahrns View Post
We are getting ready to outfit our new motorhome and are trying to decide on our internet connectivity. We want to concentrate on always getting a strong cell signal as this seems to be our most reliable connection. Most of the time RV park wifi is terrible. Even if there is a decent signal, the bandwith is such that it is impossible to do anything on the internet. I'm trying to figure out what the best signal booster for us would be. I've found the WeBoost 4G-XR that appears to have just been released. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this unit and can give me their assessment on it's functionality. Will the inside antenna cover the whole motorhome or does the cell phone need to be close to the antenna?

I also found the Max Amp by Maximum Signal, but it appears that this product is not being shipped yet. If I'm incorrect on that and someone can comment on it I would appreciate it.

Steve

We are still waiting on parts to do our production run . So we are not shipping yet . But hope to be soon.
Maximum Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Steve
Steve, when is your first trip? If you can wait, do so. Both of these companies are close to putting products on the market that will provide better cell coverage for mobile units. There are some great 3G packages available but, as you know, not worth much because the 4G-LTE is becoming well deployed.

I am in the same boat as you are and I am on hold. I had designed a great system with Wilson's help but it was a bit pricey. I think there are enough RVers and boaters clamoring for a better way to get internet that manufactures are finally getting serious about producing equipment that we can use.

One of the things I learned when doing my research is that feed back is a real concern. If isolation between the outside and inside antennas is not established correctly a very good system will be unusable. Limiting gain on the inside antenna is one way of doing this. Keeping the radiation patterns from crossing is another way of isolating the signals. The engineers are working this issues out for us, the end users, in a way that will allow the technologically challenged to get the product installed with as few problems as possible. Follow the instructions and all should work fine is a good way to go.

I'll be looking for updates on this topic. In the interim I am waiting on parts for my broken A/C unit, waiting for HWH to return my call so I can order a new leveling solenoid, and considering putting a SuperSteer sway bar bushing kit on my coach. My bushings are starting to look bad.

If we can't use em we fix em.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 07-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Steve, when is your first trip? If you can wait, do so. Both of these companies are close to putting products on the market that will provide better cell coverage for mobile units. There are some great 3G packages available but, as you know, not worth much because the 4G-LTE is becoming well deployed.

I am in the same boat as you are and I am on hold. I had designed a great system with Wilson's help but it was a bit pricey. I think there are enough RVers and boaters clamoring for a better way to get internet that manufactures are finally getting serious about producing equipment that we can use.

One of the things I learned when doing my research is that feed back is a real concern. If isolation between the outside and inside antennas is not established correctly a very good system will be unusable. Limiting gain on the inside antenna is one way of doing this. Keeping the radiation patterns from crossing is another way of isolating the signals. The engineers are working this issues out for us, the end users, in a way that will allow the technologically challenged to get the product installed with as few problems as possible. Follow the instructions and all should work fine is a good way to go.

I'll be looking for updates on this topic. In the interim I am waiting on parts for my broken A/C unit, waiting for HWH to return my call so I can order a new leveling solenoid, and considering putting a SuperSteer sway bar bushing kit on my coach. My bushings are starting to look bad.

If we can't use em we fix em.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Thanks Rick. I thought the 4G-XR was shipping. I am aware of the feedback issue, but am not sure about distance between inside and outside antenna. I can wait a few weeks, but hoping to get a system or at least know what I plan to use so that I can get a estimate from Newmar on installation.

Good luck on getting your coach fixed.

Steve
Old 07-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Rick. I thought the 4G-XR was shipping. I am aware of the feedback issue, but am not sure about distance between inside and outside antenna. I can wait a few weeks, but hoping to get a system or at least know what I plan to use so that I can get a estimate from Newmar on installation.

Good luck on getting your coach fixed.

Steve
Try getting better answers here, Steve: https://store.weboost.com/products/drive-4gx

I am thinking as you about the indoor antenna. Might not be enough for a RV. Weboost is Wilson renamed and repackaged. If the folks on board are still the same then support is fantastic. They could recommend and ship a repackage built for you if you ask.

Look forward to your update on this topic.

Rick Y
Old 07-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Try getting better answers here, Steve: https://store.weboost.com/products/drive-4gx

I am thinking as you about the indoor antenna. Might not be enough for a RV. Weboost is Wilson renamed and repackaged. If the folks on board are still the same then support is fantastic. They could recommend and ship a repackage built for you if you ask.

Look forward to your update on this topic.

Rick Y
I ended up calling weBoost customer support and they said that the 4G X will work in the RV but the inside antennna (not the booster) needs to be 25 feet away from the outside antenna since their is no metal roof like a car. This will prevent feedback from the antennas interfering with each other. He also said that a metal plate installed on the roof to anchor the antenna and provide a ground plane would help. This has been discussed in other posts.

The 4G XR should be coming out in the Fall and will have a different outside antenna, and it sounds like better coverage inside the RV. I got the sense from the person I talked to that the 4G X was a good option, but the XR is better in a couple ways (antenna, inside coverage) that would make it worthwhile waiting for, if possible.

At this point I think I will wait to see when Maximum Signal is shipping their product and any reviews on its performance. Hopefully by that time the XR will be out too and there will be a choice. My only issue is that the antenna and cable installation cannot occur while the coach is being constructed.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:35 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just picked up the 4G-X and spoke with Weboost about how to increase coverage inside the RV. The said to get these items:
Antenna: 311135
Cable: 951104
Adapter: 971119
Old 07-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I ended up calling weBoost customer support and they said that the 4G X will work in the RV but the inside antennna (not the booster) needs to be 25 feet away from the outside antenna since their is no metal roof like a car. This will prevent feedback from the antennas interfering with each other. He also said that a metal plate installed on the roof to anchor the antenna and provide a ground plane would help. This has been discussed in other posts.

The 4G XR should be coming out in the Fall and will have a different outside antenna, and it sounds like better coverage inside the RV. I got the sense from the person I talked to that the 4G X was a good option, but the XR is better in a couple ways (antenna, inside coverage) that would make it worthwhile waiting for, if possible.

At this point I think I will wait to see when Maximum Signal is shipping their product and any reviews on its performance. Hopefully by that time the XR will be out too and there will be a choice. My only issue is that the antenna and cable installation cannot occur while the coach is being constructed.
Why not? Same coax. Choose your location and have it installed. You may inspire a WiFi READY option package like the CB package.

Thanks for the update. We are using our phones for tethering. My DW has her's through her son and it is ATT. I have Verizon. That should cover most areas. I do want to get a signal booster though. Too often we are in poor coverage areas.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 07-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just throwing this out for consideration.
If your main purpose is for internet access for multiple users, you can just get the cradle type booster with a roof ant., and put one of your phone into it. Make it a hotspot, and all the other devices in the coach can use the WIFI (including TV's)

The big limitation here is that only one phone gets the extra range.
And you will need to use the speakerphone option for calls since the phone is in the cradle.

This is what we have done, and it works great...but we are not concerned with receiving calls on my wife's phone....she is too busy on e-bay and amazon.....

Regards,

Dan
Old 07-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #10

If you can't wait, look for one of the older ATT/Verizon 4G's Wilson Sleeks. Maybe Craigslist or EBay. Then let the latest and greatest combo's get into production and sorted out. Move the Sleek to your toad for emergency contact while on the road traveling, and away from your rig.

We've an early order in for the Maximum Signal, as we respect the owner and what they have done to battle the with the FCC as a real underdog. The advance units are out for testing now with people I respect.

The new generation of FCC regulations, make the next generation of amps worth waiting for... IMO!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #11

Thanks for all the great comments. Lots of great ideas. weBoost advises that the 4G - XR should be available for purchase by the end of August. We certainly can wait that long and maybe by that time Max Amp will be out and there will be some reporting on performance. I think we are on the brink of some new and improved products.

Quote:
If your main purpose is for internet access for multiple users, you can just get the cradle type booster with a roof ant., and put one of your phone into it. Make it a hotspot, and all the other devices in the coach can use the WIFI (including TV's)
Sounds like a good plan, but I am looking for a system that also provides better receiving and transmitting capability than the current systems for use in fringe areas. The 4G XR and the Max Amp are supposed to provide this.

Quote:
We've an early order in for the Maximum Signal, as we respect the owner and what they have done to battle the with the FCC as a real underdog. The advance units are out for testing now with people I respect.

The new generation of FCC regulations, make the next generation of amps worth waiting for... IMO!
Old 07-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post

The big limitation here is that only one phone gets the extra range.
And you will need to use the speakerphone option for calls since the phone is in the cradle.

This is what we have done, and it works great...but we are not concerned with receiving calls on my wife's phone....she is too busy on e-bay and amazon.....

Regards,

Dan
This is a great idea except you are limited as to who will use which phone and you have to be near the cradle for making calls. Great in a car, not so in a big RV. I have tried that route already and was not pleased with the restraint limitations. If your DW can make enough on ebay she can spring for the new 4G-XR.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 07-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
If you can't wait, look for one of the older ATT/Verizon 4G's Wilson Sleeks. Maybe Craigslist or EBay. Then let the latest and greatest combo's get into production and sorted out. Move the Sleek to your toad for emergency contact while on the road traveling, and away from your rig.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Thanks Smitty. When ours comes out for sale it is going to blow peoples minds. Have already blown away the engineers at the FCC , Verizon and AT&T. Wish I could control the supply chain and get all the parts quicker.

Gord
Maximum Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:12 AM   #14

Try the weBoost 4G-M
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote