Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #1

Weldex Monitor intermittantly working

Okay, this Weldex backup monitor is about to drive me nuts. It is the original in our 2005 American Coach Tradition. I think the 3000 model. Anyways, it will intermittantly work. WHen it does, it gives me good picture. When it doesn't, it will just be a white screen. Drove 600 miles the other day and it was white the whole time. Noticed at the end of the drive when I hit the View button on my Trip Tek computer then it would work then go out after a few minutes. Think it may be related to that. Not sure. Drove 250 miles yesterday and the darn thing worked flawlessly the entire drive. I have not idea what is wrong with it. Anyone else experiencing the same problems?
dbhhcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have replaced them for a few reasons including 'noise' on the screen, lack of color, and just plain outdated. We have always chosen the replacement systems from Rear View Safety.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I don't know about that system.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I suppose it could be the camera, wiring, or display/monitor unit.

Do you have another display you could plug it into when its acting up to see if the picture is clear when switching displays?

An old computer monitor (with RCA jack input) or TV will work. Maybe a DVD player with "RCA input" that you could then feed signal to your coach's TV for testing.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:25 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to bolhuijo
I have the Weldex in my Bounder too. It was going flaky like yours. Someone (probably here) pointed out a common problem with the connector in the rear. I unscrewed the camera from the rear and fished out cable until I got to the connector. I snipped off the connector and replaced it with a better one. (only 4 wires as I recall)

With new connector it has been rock solid ever since. (5 years or so)
bolhuijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:55 AM   #6

mine has not worked form the day i got the coach. i will be watching this for a posible fix
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #7

I will attempt bolhuijo's solution. If that does not work, then I am just going to replace the unit. More to follow?

2008Seneca - does Rear View Safety have the same system or is it another system? Did you have to fish the cable the entire length of the coach or did you just replace the camera and monitor?

Thanks all.
dbhhcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Same issue with mine. The culprit turned out to be the reverse/normal image switch on the back of the monitor. Sprayed the switch with contact cleaner and burnished the contacts. It's been trouble free for a year or so. In-dash mounting is a bear to remove and replace though.
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandry29 View Post
Same issue with mine. The culprit turned out to be the reverse/normal image switch on the back of the monitor. Sprayed the switch with contact cleaner and burnished the contacts. It's been trouble free for a year or so. In-dash mounting is a bear to remove and replace though.
How did you remove it, as I have A 05 Bounder and have not figured out how to remove the monitor from the dash
weatherman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's held in by two thumb screws on the side closest to the wheel. Reach up under the dash and feel for them, then turn them counter-clockwise to remove. the monitor pulls forward through the dash opening, but it's a tight fit, and you have to wiggle it back and forth as you push forward. Major PITA!
Old 10-15-2018, 11:35 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
before attempting to remove the monitor, you might see if you can find the small sliding switch that reverses the image by feel. Flip it back and forth a few times to improve the connection. Sometimes that is all that is required, although without removing the monitor and doing a proper cleaning, you may have to perform this more often.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandry29 View Post
It's held in by two thumb screws on the side closest to the wheel. Reach up under the dash and feel for them, then turn them counter-clockwise to remove. the monitor pulls forward through the dash opening, but it's a tight fit, and you have to wiggle it back and forth as you push forward. Major PITA!

I have a Weldex in a 2005 Bounder. I tried to remove the monitor as you described but mine appears to have one screw on each side. I was able to remove the one on left side but there is no access to the right side. Has anyone else have this problem?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #13

My camera system quit just a couple of weeks ago. I pulled the camera and plugged it directly in to the monitor and everything works, so it appears to be the cable. Routing a new cable will be a PITA. Because I can't reach the mounting screws to remove the monitor, I would like to find a wireless camera with a receiver that will plug into an existing monitor. Is there such a thing?

Tags
monitor