Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #1

What do I need

I have a RT80353 road trip mini max dish and want to hook up to direct tv. What do I need to get this working. all I have now is the dish on the roof. Ken
kejy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejy View Post
I have a RT80353 road trip mini max dish and want to hook up to direct tv. What do I need to get this working. all I have now is the dish on the roof. Ken
Guess no one can help thanks anyway
Old 09-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #3

Kejy, when we bought ours it came with a roof mounted satellite receiver. We took one of our Direct TV boxes from an extra bedroom and hooked it up. At first it didn't work, but our dealer showed us the correct code to input thru thr TV set up and it works great. We have traveled all over the west coast and get great reception. I don't really know how they did the code but it only took them about 2 minutes to get it working.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Ken;

You will need to make sure your dish is set up to lock in to the DirecTV satellite. There should be dip switches somewhere that you have to set for the correct service provider. Check your manual.

Next, take one of your receivers from your home and put it in the MH. You have to change the satellite setup from SWM to MultiSwitch, then select 18" Round or whatever antenna your MiniMax manual says to set it on.

I used my home receiver for two years in my MH until I switched to DISH network and bought a separate receiver for on the road. You can't receive your local networks if you are more than a couple of hundred miles from home. Just use the on-air antenna for local stations.

Hope this helps.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #5

Commercial Member

Quote:
You've got the dish, so you're all set there. Now all you need is a DirecTV receiver box. The receiver needs to be either a DirecTV standard definition receiver or an HD receiver that has the model number H24 (or HR24 for DVR) or a number lower than 24 (H23, H22, H21, etc.) Once you have these two, connect your receiver to the coax lead coming down from your RoadTrip Minimax. The coax needs to plug into the sat in port. Once that is connected and your receiver is connected to your television, turn on your television and the receiver box. If the receiver setup doesn't come up automatically, you can refer to the DirecTV satellite receiver setup page for the RaodTrip minimax here: DIRECTV and DISH for your RV - Receiver Setup Guides

As long as your receiver is activated on your DirecTV account, you should be able to watch your programming after all this is complete.
Winegard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #6

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegard1 View Post
You've got the dish, so you're all set there. Now all you need is a DirecTV receiver box. The receiver needs to be either a DirecTV standard definition receiver or an HD receiver that has the model number H24 (or HR24 for DVR) or a number lower than 24 (H23, H22, H21, etc.) Once you have these two, connect your receiver to the coax lead coming down from your RoadTrip Minimax. The coax needs to plug into the sat in port. Once that is connected and your receiver is connected to your television, turn on your television and the receiver box. If the receiver setup doesn't come up automatically, you can refer to the DirecTV satellite receiver setup page for the RaodTrip minimax here: DIRECTV and DISH for your RV - Receiver Setup Guides

As long as your receiver is activated on your DirecTV account, you should be able to watch your programming after all this is complete.

And if you need either let me know I have both a hr24 dvr and a sd reciever you can have
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
What Winegard said wasn't the whole story. They did the same to me. That antenna is ONLY standard definition for DirectTV. Beware.
With Doberman (Bailey) & Shitzu (Cooper)
NVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #8

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMike View Post
What Winegard said wasn't the whole story. They did the same to me. That antenna is ONLY standard definition for DirectTV. Beware.
This is correct, but I was under the assumption that Kejy understood that his dome only got standard definition for DirecTV. If it were DISH, it would be HD. Thank you NVMike for clearing that up.
Winegard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Does the mini max have multiple coax connectors? I am thinking about installing one but we have a Directv pvr so need to receive two inputs. Thanks

something for the weekend...1968 Vanguard Camper on 1989 GMC 2500
Open Roaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Roaders View Post
Does the mini max have multiple coax connectors? I am thinking about installing one but we have a Directv pvr so need to receive two inputs. Thanks

Only need two if you want to watch something other than what is recorded while recording in the s and b we had our bedroom set up for the longest time with just one input
Old 09-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post
And if you need either let me know I have both a hr24 dvr and a sd reciever you can have
if you have them how much do you want I do not have any Ken
Old 09-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #12

Private message me and we will talk