Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And a jack antenna is??? what??
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #16

If you do a google search for "Jack Antena", it will give you a picture of what it looks like. It took me about 10 minutes to unbolt the old antena and bolt the new Jack antena on and attach the cable. Then you just have to program your TV or converter box to the antena via the menu botton.
swilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilcox View Post
If you do a google search for "Jack Antena", it will give you a picture of what it looks like. It took me about 10 minutes to unbolt the old antena and bolt the new Jack antena on and attach the cable. Then you just have to program your TV or converter box to the antena via the menu botton.
You are right--I did just that and now I know----interesting, I'll put it on my "someday I gotta do that list" and when I am up there attaching my new wi fi antenna---I can make the change at the same time. Thank you--I learn a lot here.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
There is a booster on the box that runs TV1, TV2 and it is on.
Turn the 12V power to the booster off. If no change in number of channels gotten(less) then booster is not working.

Turn booster back on and go to the roof. Take the cable off at the Winegard Head. Check cable for having 12V. If 12V are there then the head is bad. Replace it. No 12V at cable then find problem why.

If using the on line station finder. And stations are more then 50 miles from your location. They may not be broadcasting a strong enough signal to get.
You should be able to get most within 35 miles.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
A proper working Winegard Batwing with the Wingman on it.
Will probably pull in more stations then the Jack.

Your google search for "Jack Antenna" should come up with reviews from some that switched to the Jack, found it didn't help any.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #20

do remember that if you are in an area where you have great service like in the city, you should try and turn off your booster if you have one to see if it is needed. The signal could be too strong. At least that was what I was told by a tech when I purchased my RV.
ridahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Please take this as more general knowledge and not me trying to sell an antenna. Most people already have a Sensar (batwing) and there are reasons most OEMs install that antenna. We make all kinds, shapes and sizes of antennas and have since 1954. It's not like we created the Sensar and said this is the best antenna in the world and its the only one to use!

We manufacture UHF only antennas, VHF only antennas, small multi-directional antennas, indoor antennas, giant 15 foot 60+ mile outdoor antennas, and so on.

Which antenna is best for a specific person (or frankly, location) is highly dependent on what channel is trying to be received, the distance to that broadcast tower, obstructions, the power of the transmission, etc.

We continue to recommend the Sensar in the RV market because we feel it generally provides the best solutions for the most situations. Most markets still have 1 or more major networks on a VHF channel which are received by the long "batwings" on the Sensar. With the transition most channels are now located on UHF which is why we released the Wingman add-on, or Sensar IV which help receive these UHF signals.

So to really answer the OP's question, it really depends on where you are and what you are trying to receive. We just try to develop systems that provide RV consumers with the best possible option in the most locations, for the most channels (and still fit it on your roof).

Hope this helps.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hope this helps.

NIce reply thank you--I have a question.

First I seldom use my wingman just because we normally have cable plugged in while we are in the RV. But in a few spots we used it exclusively and we were amazed at the quality of the picture. Since my wife really enjoys TV (I'm compelledand delighted to provide it for her the best I can) I added the Batwing so on the occassional event we could get a maximum number of channels and reception.

Before I added the Batwing I counted the number of channels received and was surprised a little that after installation the number was the same. We were getting 30 digital channels. It was difficult to determine if the quality of reception was enhanced.

I surmised that we were already located in an area that had an abundance of channels (Tucson) and therefore it was not a good area to test--we were probably already getting everything available. The Batwing may prove more helpful in an area of more spotty or remote channel locations?

What would your supposition be?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Hope this helps.

NIce reply thank you--I have a question.

First I seldom use my wingman just because we normally have cable plugged in while we are in the RV. But in a few spots we used it exclusively and we were amazed at the quality of the picture. Since my wife really enjoys TV (I'm compelledand delighted to provide it for her the best I can) I added the Batwing so on the occassional event we could get a maximum number of channels and reception.

Before I added the Batwing I counted the number of channels received and was surprised a little that after installation the number was the same. We were getting 30 digital channels. It was difficult to determine if the quality of reception was enhanced.

I surmised that we were already located in an area that had an abundance of channels (Tucson) and therefore it was not a good area to test--we were probably already getting everything available. The Batwing may prove more helpful in an area of more spotty or remote channel locations?

What would your supposition be?
As a point of clarification, the Batwing is the main antenna (Sensar) and the Wingman is the add-on. The Wingman add-on is designed to help bring in the weaker UHF channels. If the channels in your area are already strong the Wingman will not add to the # of channels but it may make the signal you receive stronger. The unit becomes more necessary as you move away from the transmitters. We were recently in Farmington, NM. Not many channels available but 2 were not available at all without the wingman. We were also recently in ABQ, NM and we received nearly all of the channels with our Batwing stowed for travel! Location, location, location!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks---Bill Adams;

And who knows maybe I installed it backwards---------???

I'll good naturedly admit to being more comfortable with "whatchamacallit---or doohickey" as nominclature---but evidently I got the picture even in my best technodeficient state.

I'll give myself credit for just thinking it through and not running back to CW and demanding my money back.

But I am sure it works--and on our way south this year I'll give it a go.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridahog View Post
do remember that if you are in an area where you have great service like in the city, you should try and turn off your booster if you have one to see if it is needed. The signal could be too strong. At least that was what I was told by a tech when I purchased my RV.
I missed this post the other day so I just want the poster to know that the information you were given by your tech was incorrect. The 12V power supply should be on at all times that you want to watch TV. Now, should you add the Winegard Sensar Pro, there is a secondary gain control that could (if turned up too high) wipe out a good local signal.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna