Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

What portable satellite dish for VIP211z

I have Winegard Minimax in motion on the motorhome with a 211z reciever. What portable dish is compatible with the 211z when I can't get signal because of trees?

Will a 722k dvr reciever work with the minimax?
whodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Tailgater is a very affordable portable that is fully automatic with no additional equipment when used with the 211 family receivers.
http://www.dish.com/technology/tv-outdoors/

It locks on all 3 Dish birds at once and switches between them with no perceivable delay as you change channels.

The only issue I have read about is for those in the very far North Eastern part of North America who desire to receive the SATs flying over the Atlantic.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tailgater.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The Tailgater is a very affordable portable that is fully automatic with no additional equipment when used with the 211 family receivers.
DISH - Take HD TV Outdoors

It locks on all 3 Dish birds at once and switches between them with no perceivable delay as you change channels.

The only issue I have read about is for those in the very far North Eastern part of North America who desire to receive the SATs flying over the Atlantic.

Best luck
Steve is correct about the affordability of the Tailgater. It does actually scan between satellites as it is a single LNB setup. Also, the Tailgater only works with the Dish "Western Arc" satellites which can mean a loss of one signal in the north east. This takes out the HD channels.

When my Tailgater died a few months ago I replaced in with a Winegard Pathway X2. This also works only on Dish, but it can be configured for Western or Eastern arc satellites, making it fully usable all over the country. It works well with the 211 boxes, in fact my 211K recognizes the X2 and puts up additional menu options for east/west and also for one or two TV's (both TV's have to be watching the same channel). The X2 is more expensive than the Tailgater but for anyone buying for the first time, I'd say it's worth the money.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the info!
whodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoc View Post
I have Winegard Minimax in motion on the motorhome with a 211z reciever. What portable dish is compatible with the 211z when I can't get signal because of trees?

Will a 722k dvr reciever work with the minimax?
I use a Winegard Carryout automatic with Dish network. It is compatible with both the Eastern and Western Arc and will automatically switch between satellites. The main difference between it and the Tailgater, it requires a separate 12v power cord where the Tailgater gets its power through the coax. I've had great success with it all over the country.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two recommendations:

One: The Tailgater, sold by Echostar via Campign world is specifically designed to work with the 211 line and no other.

Two: (And this is what I'd recommend) the Pathway X-2, I believe that is a winegard, can do both eastern and western arcs (Tailgater is western only) and has a larger dish = more gain when signals are weak.

When I get a round tuit.. This is what I will buy, less something better comes out first.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Eastern Arc - Worth the extra cash? You decide.

Here are the coverage maps for the Dish Western Arc birds (110, 119, and 129). 61.5 is an overlay on the second map as an example of Eastern Arc:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish 110 and 119 coverage.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	76452

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish 61.5 and 129 coverage.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	76453

The Tailgater is made by King Controls as part of their VuCube line and available from many vendors...a quick internet search shows dozens....Camping World might not offer the best deal.
http://kingcontrols.com/products/
http://kingcontrols.com/product/vucube/

If a user needed Eastern Arc, then there are other (but more expensive) options including the Flex.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #9

I've owned both the Tailgater and Pathway X2. IMO the X2 is the better of the 2 because it will allow the use of 2 receivers when using the eastern arc satellites and since, it's dish is far larger, gets a much stronger signal. I also found that the X2 locks on to the satellites far quicker than the Tailgater.

My first Tailgater didn't last but a short time before the motor died. Tech guy had me take the top off to troubleshoot and I was surprised at how flimsy it was. My biggest complaint with it is that it didn't take much of a cloud to lose the signal. That's not a problem with the huge 18" dish in the X2. Sometimes the Tailgater had to go through it's initial setup routine several times before it would work too. I found that to be irritating.

Only thing I don't like about the X2 is that it really needs a tripod to keep it from blowing over. The tripod made for it is far more expensive than it should be. Of course the X2 is bigger and heavier than the Tailgater too. That's not a problem for us because it sits on the bed while were traveling, so there's plenty of room for it.

The Pathway X1 might be a good choice but I've never even seen one of those yet. It's supposed to be the smallest and lightest of them all.

BTW, the X1 and X2 have twice the warranty of the Tailgater.
Tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Min Max on the roof and use the carryout when under trees, I have 1 211K and 1 211Z receiver works well on both
Old 10-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I was just checking out a dish and found this at Fingerhut has this set up,
Would this one work both east and west?

Description
  • Portable, fully automatic Tailgaiter satellite system brings live DISH programming to all your outdoor adventures
  • Stationary, self-tracking antenna automatically locates DISH satellites
  • Supports HD and SD programming
  • Quick, easy setup
  • Includes ViP HD receiver, coaxial cables, HDMI cable, RCA composite A/V cable and remote control with 4 AAA batteries
  • Antenna with weather-resistant cover approx. 16"W x 16"D x 17-1/2"H; weighs 10 lbs.
  • Receiver approx. 13-1/4"W x 10-3/4"D x 2"H; weighs 5 lbs.
Got too go the game is on. Going to watch in the MH YAbaby
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, the Tailgater is western arc only and cannot/will not search for eastern arc SATs.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Eastern Arc - Worth the extra cash? You decide.

Here are the coverage maps for the Dish Western Arc birds (110, 119, and 129). 61.5 is an overlay on the second map as an example of Eastern Arc:

Attachment 76452

Attachment 76453
What these maps fail to show is DISH local TV coverage. For example, over 30% of DISH local HD stations are carried on Eastern Arc sats only.

Worth the "extra cash"? Oh yeah.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting...is there any reading on this that can be linked?

Seems odd that these spot beamed channels would be split to a different arc.

Thanks
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
dish, satellite