Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #1

Cool What's on your iphone?

Was wondering what everyone had on their iPhones that might be of interest to Rv'ers.

Here's what's on mine.

RV Checklist; Very useful for using and creating lists. Great for being sure that everything is done before leaving. Developed by an Rv'er

Emergency Radio; for those who miss their "scanner", this is an on line version. Can listen in to police and fire scanners...very cool

Free version
I use the paid version

Handy GPS; nice use of the compass

Yelp; fantastic to find restaurants and other stuff on the road
(also available on the pc)

AirVue Golf
tremendous golf app; courses are mapped, shows yardage etc

Cardstar; eliminates carrying around all the affinity cards; doesn't always work, but it's neat to show your iphone and the barcode to the clerk.

CarMinder eminds you when maintenance was done and is due. A very useful app
GasCubby; Tracks MPG and Maintenanc
i.tv; can see what's on TV virtually anywhere; also links to NetFlix

HandyLevel; uses the iphone as a leveler; very accurate

My new favorite Photo+Map; allows you to take a picture and links it with maps; can email and/or save

Pandora; works on PC as well; Streams music to your PC or iphone for free. Works amazingly well.

Epocrates; medical directory; shows pill interactions; allows you to see if the generic version of the pill is OK (has pictures)

The best app I've found to located iphone apps is Appshopper Multiple ways to search...much better than itunes. All of the above can be located there. A nice feature is that you can set up an app to "watch" for price changes and sometimes paid apps become free for a few days.

As I'll bet you can tell, I'm a computer geek and love this stuff....

Paul
paulb4333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #2

I have Accuweather for the local forecasts of where I'm going.

I have Stanza the e-book reader for the down time.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #3

We like "around me" a free app that uses the gps function to locate where you are and lets you know what resturants, gas stations, etc etc etc are close to you, their address and distance. Has a search function to pick the category you want. A great tool when traveling. Also like "flashlight" which turns you Iphone into a flashlight and includes a flashing red light you can use if youi have road trouble at night. Gene
Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Paul, thank you for this post! I did not know about CardStar. After downloading it, I was able to get rid of 6 cards out of my wallet. This is great!

For those of you that want to use your Iphone as a wireless modem for your laptop, I recommend pdanet. It requires your iphone to be jailbroken, but is a great app. Even with the latest software verison, it works great.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:18 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi All,
This is the only app I've ever bought for my Iphone "Dish Pointer Augmented Reality" $9.99. I've seen it personally and it's amazing. It works beautifully on a 3g (s) phone and is perfectly usable on 2nd generation phones too. Just stand where you want to put up or cycle your dish and it'll show you via a live feed "EXACTLY" where the Satellite is.
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:22 AM   #6

Darryl,
Before you toss the cards, make sure they scan correctly.... I've had a couple of problems, but mostly it works well. In any case the numbers are in there so they can be entered if they don't scan.
It seems to get better with each release.
I used PDA net on my palm for years and thought it was great. They got me a little mad since they don't have a good return/loyal customer program. I bought the program 3 times....every time palm had a new box PDANet made you buy a new version at full price. Tried to get them to recognize that and provide a discount for the iPhone (since I'd also not be using the Palm any longer) but they didn't budge on the price (which was $29.95 at the time). Great program and I hope it gets to the itunes store.

I've not re-jailbroken my phone since 3.0. Didn't see as many advantages with cut and paste and other new features in that release. I do miss some of the neat tools, though.
Have you found that Cydia still has enough stuff to justify jailbreaking?

Thanks
Paul
Old 11-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb4333 View Post
Darryl,
Before you toss the cards, make sure they scan correctly.... I've had a couple of problems, but mostly it works well. In any case the numbers are in there so they can be entered if they don't scan.
It seems to get better with each release.
I used PDA net on my palm for years and thought it was great. They got me a little mad since they don't have a good return/loyal customer program. I bought the program 3 times....every time palm had a new box PDANet made you buy a new version at full price. Tried to get them to recognize that and provide a discount for the iPhone (since I'd also not be using the Palm any longer) but they didn't budge on the price (which was $29.95 at the time). Great program and I hope it gets to the itunes store.

I've not re-jailbroken my phone since 3.0. Didn't see as many advantages with cut and paste and other new features in that release. I do miss some of the neat tools, though.
Have you found that Cydia still has enough stuff to justify jailbreaking?

Thanks
Paul
Other than pdanet, not really. But pdanet is enough for me to do it. The latest software (to jailbreak) is the simpliest ever.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have an iPod Touch.

Walmart has just released it's first app for store locations, etc. Works well. It's available in the apps store.

I also use textPlus for texting to my son's cellphones.

I have 129 apps installed.

-Tom

sent from my iPod Touch

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #9

Will have to check out the Wally app...

One important app that I forgot to list on my phone is Documents to Go. It allows you to synchronize documents, spreadsheets, PDF's pictures from your desktop/laptop to your iphone.
I have all of my user manuals for the coach on my iphone, detailed coach info, PDF's from users, checklists etc....Even zoomable maps printed from Streets and trips....over 100MB of stuff.
I use it extensively. Something new I put on there yesterday was a list of FAQ's with links to posts on the site. That way I can look for an item in the file e.g. Winterization and can hyperlink directly to the post. Saves typing the web address.

I got it when it first came out and I think it was $4.99, but it has gone up to at least $9.99.

Worth every penny.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cleartune - the worlds best digital tuner
Tempo - metronome with setlist
Dual Level Pro - for leveling, hanging pics etc. Has a remote function using chirps to help you level when you can't see display
Mobile RSS - reader, sync functions, etc.
Redlaser - this is a cool barcode scanner that reads bar codes and then searches online for a better price. Very cool for on the spot major purchases - no need to go home to comparison shop!

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
After reading all of these posts it's off to the app store and Cydia!!
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
If you're a Datastorm user, I've written some iPhone apps that you might be interested in. Send me a PM here or on the datastormusers.com site.

joe