Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #1

When Google Maps gets you in trouble

I love Google Maps and use it on every trip but I also try to supplement it with another solution made for RVs. The reason is for circumstances where Google Maps wants to reroute due to traffic. That's the only time Google Maps has gotten me into trouble is when trying to avoid traffic and putting me on roads that I shouldn't be on in a RV.

Here's my latest experience headed north through Springfield, MO from Branson. As you can see, this was Google's solution to a major highway closure and not something to try in a RV.

Lately I've been using a truck GPS from TomTom and have been really pleased with it. It routes based on vehicle profiles. TomTom's traffic also has this closure in Springfield and its routing solution was to completely avoid the area of this closure and do a bypass around the city.

Just an example of how sometimes RV specific routing is still needed despite having great tools like Google Maps.

Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #2

I've had the same issues with Google - I wish there was an option to sat "hey Google - I'm driving an RV - please keep me on major highways". I have CoPilot on my phone but haven't used it yet. The Nav in my RV isn't the greatest except to see how far I am from the nearest gas station.
MTNRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Drove from Knoxville , TN to Chicago to Peoria, Il and back to Knoxville running Google on my phone and copilot on a tablet. Between the two it worked fairly well.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #4

We use Garmin RV 760LMT. You set the height and weight and propane etc. It has fuel stops, rv repair and camping parks. My wife will make a quick search on her I phone and or me on an Android to see if the GPS is sending us a weird route. The issue we run into is if a road RV access is unknown it will send you around it.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:19 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Our Community Rules do not allow personal attacks between members. In fact our #1 rule here is " be nice ". Several posts have been removed for this reason. Please discuss the topic and not each other.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Problem

If you have a problem with someone, take it up with them via personal email NOT via these threads. - If you don;t know their personal email, PM them for it !!
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
On rare occasion, I'll go into a "blind and dumb" mode and follow the GPS, its either that or stop somewhere and figure it out on my own. (expand the GPS map and see what else is available)

When I'm in my "blind and dumb" mode, I'm on high alert for booby traps that the GPS is getting ready to spring on me.

Watch for the sharp turns that won't work, AND, don't get distracted and miss the low overhead clearances, low tree limbs, etc that these detours have along the route.

Usually if its an Official planned for interstate detour, its well thought out as these need to deal with 18 wheelers. Its the temporary detours because of an accident or something that will cause the problems.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
DON'T use GOOGLE or WAZE to navigate your RV...they are ok to check your route, keep you aware of stuff on the path but you really shouldnt follow their directions...Examples, real life:

WAZE would have taken me to Canada coming back from Maine to WI...I legally carry firearms in the RV (pretty much always), Entering Canada with firearms without a pile of paperwork is fairly serious offense.

GOOGLE...wanted to take us down highways in New York marked 'Parkway'. These are clearly marked as cars only! One reason other than the restriction for cars, is that the bridges are notoriously lower than 12 feet, a 12' 10" RV clearance means take a trip down a parkway and loose your air conditioners...

Spend the money and buy a GPS that is designed for RV travel. While not flawless, they will keep you out of trouble way better than GOOGLE or WAZE.

I have both a Rand 7735 (not a fan of my particular device as it has hardware issues and is operationally unreliable, however when and if, it works it navigates great) and a recently purchased Garmin RV770. The new Garmin works fantastic.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I had similiar issues when my Garmin couldn't finf the main gate at McDill AFB. Google routed me down side roads with low tree clearance. Fortunately, only minor scratches.