Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #1

Which one is better to get for your RV. Dish or direct tv????

We are new at rv ing and is trying to decide which is better to get for cable, dish mobile or direct tv?
tpasden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Do a search has been a lot of posts on the subject
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #3

I have direct tv and with mirror cast I can stream from direct tv app on my cell right to my rv tv.
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We have been using Direct TV in the S&B for a long time. When we started RV'ing we took a second receiver that we never used and put in the RV. That way we only pay $6.00 per month for Direct TV in the MH. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpasden View Post
We are new at rv ing and is trying to decide which is better to get for cable, dish mobile or direct tv?
It may depend on what level of signal you want and what antenna you have. If you have an automatic dome antenna, then you can only receive a standard definition signal with DirecTV where you can receive high definition with Dish. If you have a Trav'ler or similar antenna, then you can receive high definition with either one. Dish seems to be more RV friendly and has a pay as you go service. I have had both and either service will work well.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:32 PM   #6

Like NFL Football?
NFL Sunday Ticket
direct tv yes..........dish no.

reason enough for me to choose direct tv
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ive had dish in the S&B for over 10 years so the Dish tailgater was best for us. Added $7 to my bill to get all the channels i get at home. Dish is pro active to customer needs, like having a link on their web site for a refresh when not used for over a month.
One of the features i like is my channel guide ONLY displays what channels i have subscribed to.

I have read on here that some that have the roof top dish also have a probable like our dish taitgater. Makes it possible to place the dish to see sats when the roof top has obstructions.

With the app dishformyrv you can find the sweet spot sometimes between branches.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:04 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i am biased, been with dish since 1996. yes 1996
we have a hd king antenea now....LOVE IT.
i have a stand for it to rest on , or like last time i put it on the roof to get above the trees.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One thing to consider when you choose a satellite provider is their satellite locations. DISH uses satellites at 110, 119, and 129 degrees. This requires an available wide view of the southern sky. My neighbor next to me in Maine has DISH and he is unable to receive the satellite at 129 degrees because on the east coast that satellite is very low on the horizon and its below the average tree level. We both have Winegard Traveler systems. I have DirecTV which uses satellites at 99, 101, and 103 degrees. This gives you two advantages. One you dont need as big a view of the southern sky and two the satellites will be higher above the horizon especially on the east coast.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #10

I went with Dish because I can get HD with an automatic dome on my roof. A Travl'r is more expensive but a better antenna solution. There is no "best" answer. So many variables to consider. Lots of posts on the topic.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #11

Dish for us since we wanted HD and wife wanted TV while I am driving. Only choice for both those things for us.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #12

A lot would depend on whether or not you have satellite at home, in which case you'd want to just stay with that provider. We have DirecTV so that's what we went with in the coach. If you want HD signals with DirecTV you'll have to go with the Traveler which is a better antenna anyway. Pulls in signals you'd never get with a dome in a fraction of the time. We also like the sports packages with DirecTV so for us it's an easy decision.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:37 PM   #13

DirectTv is better. It must be, it's what I use.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #14

This topic is like a Ford Verses Chevy question. Generally Ford folks advocate Ford and Chevy folks advocate Chevy.

The only programming difference I see is that DirecTV has more sports options. (NFL Sunday Ticket was mentioned)

I had been a LONG time DirecTV customer - from the 90's so that was my choice - 6 bucks a month for an additional receiver. If you already have dish, then that is your logical and fiscal choice. Both have lots of satellite options from fairly modest prices to the $2,500 automatic setup options. Keep in mind that the "traveler" automatic options will mean you will not get reception sometimes whereas the portable options are not subject to this most of the time.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish