Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Which phone/carrier for full time?

We're going full time in May and I want to cut down to 1 phone (I hope she doesn't need to text me when we're together in the 5er!) and I'm hoping to find that magical combination of call/text/data/COVERAGE. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We'll be pretty much anywhere the weather suits our clothes...
Been with Verizon for ever and I have about as much loyalty to them as they do me.
YoungSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #2

Verizon still has the best overall coverage as far as our experience goes. We use Verizon for our phones and Jetpack Mi-Fi device and a Mobley on AT&T and on our travels out West I do not recall a time when the AT&T Mobley got service when the Verizon devices didn’t. I do recall several times when our Verizon devices worked fine and the AT&T one did not though.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #3

Overall, Verizon has served us well. Have used Verizon for phone, WIFI, hot spot, and cellular data (iPads). No longer use their WIFI but it worked fine the years we had it. Used AT&T briefly but preferred the Verizon coverage.

I will note that each carrier does have moments where they just plain suck wind.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSteven View Post
(I hope she doesn't need to text me when we're together in the 5er!).
But she may need to text you when you are in Lowes and she's in Macy's

Or when one of you has to fly out for an emergency?

Since we went to individual cell phone I don't think we could go back to a single one.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #5

preparing for our June Alaska trip last year, and with the introduction of the new AT&T Unlimited PLUS plan, we switched from the 'normal' AT&T 16gb plan... and had great success - including most of CANADA(especially the 'lower' provinces), and even much of ALASKA(around the main 'circuit')... also including much of the northern US states such as Montana, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, etc. from our starting/ending point in central Georgia.

The PLUS part of the AT&T Unlimited plan adds the CANADA portion of the included 'Unlimited' data/phone/text coverages. We saw no difference there except that our phones picked up their cell partners there, such as Bell, Rogers, Tellus, etc... no additional charge, no change in data usage... no difference whatsoever... NICE!

Verizon is probably similar, and we've also traveled several years with some phones with their signal, and out west they had similar coverage, so I would suppose both would work just fine in your situation.

By the way, if you own a phone already, having it on the Unlimited Plus plan, along with your Main phone, is only going to run you another $20 to $25 dollars monthly.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #6

not sure what the OP’s last sentence means but for us the only choice is Verizon. excellent coverage, easy switching between plans and top notch customer service.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #7

full time over two years now.

We have gone through cricket (at&t network) virgin (sprint network) verizon, sprint direct, at&t direct. on mutiple phones in multiple locations.
Took a while for us to elarn what everyone who moves around and gets out of major urban areas will tell you.......verizon.

We have been using one phone with verizon for about 8-10 months now. Not often we loose signal and when we do pretty much everytime all other carriers do not work either.

Before we quit or jobs to full time we both always carried a cell phone since the late 90's or early 2000's. it took a little while to get used to having just one phone to share. I have broke free from having a cell phone and am very happy not having one. Wife still feels she needs it with her most times.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
not sure what the OP’s last sentence means but for us the only choice is Verizon. excellent coverage, easy switching between plans and top notch customer service.
it means verizon is not gonna cry alligator tears if this customer leaves and they feel the same way about maybe using some other carrier other than verizon
Old 01-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
But she may need to text you when you are in Lowes and she's in Macy's

Or when one of you has to fly out for an emergency?

Since we went to individual cell phone I don't think we could go back to a single one.
Single phone couple here. It takes getting used to but easy enough to do. The old school rule of be where you said you were gonna be when you said you were gonna be there helps a lot.

If one of us needs to leave town for a few days the traveller gets the phone, the one staying home needs to be able to get on the net once a day at least to check email or fb msgs from the other. Wife has been out of town for over a week with our cell (right now, she get back tomorrow) , i survived with out daily phone calls between us, just a fb message here and there letting the other know all is well.

We always find at least one neighbor we exchange cell numbers with just in case. For that odd time wife drives 40 miles to go to church and waalmsrt after but gets a flat tire 30 miles into the drive. This happened. She called neighbor, neighbor was kind enough to come get me and let me talk to her for a min and get her location and get on my way to get the tire replaced..... fiat 500 does not have a spare tire she could put on or have put on so car needed to be towed to tire shop to get new tire.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #10

Verizon is still the best, but the others are getting closer.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #11

Out West and in remote areas, the only real choice is Verizon, with AT&T coming in a very close second. T-Mobile and Sprint don't make the grade.
landsharktx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #12

If you go to homer in Alaska don't take your verizon, we had to get an AT&T prepaid.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:06 AM   #13

Don't these carriers offer some sort of rock-bottom PAYG plan that you can run on a cheap phone for those times where you really do need to be able to get in touch. If you are that broke, just work out a ring/hangup code so you son't actually get charged 25 cents for the call.

Heading over there in a couple of months and I'll get a decent data/phone plan on one phone, but here we have a $10 prepaid plan giving unlimited national calls and texts plus 1GB of data so would be nice to find something similar for this admitted cheapskate
Old 01-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #14
Community Moderator

I use pageplus which is a discount reseller for Verizon service. You can go as low as $12 month for a recurring plan.....or buy minutes at any schedule you chose.

Don’t need to buy the phone from them.....you can bring your own phone as long as it works on the CDMA network and is Verizon compatible.

Even old flip phones bought used on eBay work fine.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time