Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #1

We are looking at getting Direct TV for the Motor Home. I don't want a coach mounted Dish. I think something on a tripod would work best. What is a reasonable priced dish that will pick up both channels from DTV? Source for dish and tripod(or combo) if you have it.
Kennyjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #2

We are looking at getting Direct TV for the Motor Home. I don't want a coach mounted Dish. I think something on a tripod would work best. What is a reasonable priced dish that will pick up both channels from DTV? Source for dish and tripod(or combo) if you have it.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is a reasonable priced dish that will pick up both channels from DTV? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not sure what you mean by both channels, we might need a little help here.
If you want to be able to receive the DTV HDTV programming then you are going to need to buy one of the Slimline 5-LNB antennas and mount it on a fairly substantial tripod to accommodate the weight and dish size. Wind is a real killer if you do not.
If you do not want any of the HDTV programming, which requires HD receivers as well as HD TV's in the coach, then any of the single LNB antennas will work just fine and can be had for next to nothing on E-Bay or similar site. You will again need to add a small cheap tripod or screw it to a piece of plywood for the ultimate low cost solution. Camping World sells my personal favorite which is an all in one setup that is mounted on a round plastic base. The antenna just lay down on the base for travel and stows away easily. The have a real catchy name for it, Portable Satellite Antenna and here is a link to it:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-antenna/12618
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
got this tripod from Camping World. It has feet with holes thru which I use 6" spikes to secure the tripod to the ground. Had a storm yesterday with 40+ mph gusts and the tripod didn't budge at all. The dish I got from E-Bay. I drilled out the two little dings that secure the LNB arm to the dish and use two 3D common nails to hold the arm in place. This allows me to separate the arm from the dish thus reducing the space needed to store the dish.

I have HD from DishNetwork. I use 2 dishes - one for standard TV (110 & 119) and one for HD (61.5).
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe they have changed since I signed up with Direct, but they gave me a portable dish and tripod. To date I haven't had an occasion to use it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:51 AM   #6

Bill,

I was refering to the two satellites. Read where you need to be able to receive from both.

I will have to check into getting a free portable dish but kind of dsoubt that will happen.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was refering to the two satellites. Read where you need to be able to receive from both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You may have been reading about Dish Network but there have never been only 2 satellites for DirecTV. It used to be 3 and now it's 5.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:02 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Bill. Do you know of any old DTV Para Todos dishes laying around? I not looking for hd but just want to be able to get locals in the Bay Area California. They unfortunately have them on the 119 and our dish can only point to one at a time.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 AM   #9

You should be able to find the older 3 LNB dishes on E-Bay or maybe a local DTV dealer as they take these off and install the new Slimline. While you don't need the 110 satellite, it won't do you any harm either.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good point. Phase III dishes are very easy to come by. I'll have to abandon my stacker de-stacker and run a second line up to the receiver but it doesn't look to hard to do. Thanks for the idea.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:42 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Kenny, listen to Bill...he knows his stuff. I recently picked up that Wingard he talks about, purchased from PPL Motorhomes for about $110 I believe. It picks up all the Direct TV regular channels and works great where my rooftop dome can't see through the trees. It has two feeds out of it, so I can watch different channels on TWO TV's at the same time.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #12

I found a DTV dealer and stopped in. They will be providing a tri-pod with one of the new dishes. No charge for the dish or tri pod and can take it with me.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the heavy duty Winguard tripod with the single LNB dish. I removed the dish and used RTV to hold the 4 screws in place then I picked up 4 1/4x20 wing nuts to secure the dish back on (Home Depot). Now to store the antenna I remove the 4 wing nuts, seperate the dish and mount, then store everything flat in the basement of the MH. Works great and you do not have to drill out the arm connections.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote