RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2005, 03:51 AM   #1

We are starting with short 1-2 week trips for shake downs before we go out for extended travels of 2-3 months . At present we are using a Nextell cell that we have for our business. We won't be purchasing a different cell service until business has sold ( should be within a couple months). Anyway, I see different type wi-fi cards offered such as type A, B, and G. Is there one in particular that is used more than others. I want to use the free wi-fi for e-mail while on the road for the next few weeks until we get our new phone service.
Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2005, 03:51 AM   #2

We are starting with short 1-2 week trips for shake downs before we go out for extended travels of 2-3 months . At present we are using a Nextell cell that we have for our business. We won't be purchasing a different cell service until business has sold ( should be within a couple months). Anyway, I see different type wi-fi cards offered such as type A, B, and G. Is there one in particular that is used more than others. I want to use the free wi-fi for e-mail while on the road for the next few weeks until we get our new phone service.
Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2005, 04:49 AM   #3

I got a Linksys G card from Walmart. Easy to
install and works great. The G card is backwards compatible with a and b.
Spend the extra 20 or 30 bucks for the G card.
Go to this site for a good tutorial.

http://www.wifi-forum.com/wf/showthread.php?t=325
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #4

I bought mine, a U.S. Robotics, 802.11g, 100Mbps card(product #USR5410), from <tigerdirect.com>, they beat W-M's price by about 1/2. My son-in-law advised aginst getting the souped up , high $ versions, as a laptop has a finite speed slower than the WiFi cards. With $30 worth of rebates price was under $25 bucks & received in 3 days. Since I am computer challanged it took 3 tries to get it in but it works great. I'm using it now.
Tiger direct also has daily specials, got a 256mb jump drive for about $ 21.00.
Firedog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #5

Walmarts was 35.00 on sale with a 15.00 rebate from Linksys and if there's a problem with it, I can drive 10 miles and return it.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3huskies:
Walmarts was 35.00 on sale with a 15.00 rebate from Linksys and if there's a problem with it, I can drive 10 miles and return it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have the Belkin from Wal-Mart and it was only $35.00. I primarily use it at the University, but this summer I used it at Flying J and at a Comfort Inn. In August, I noticed that Flying J sells one for about $70.00
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #7

Are there Wi-Fi cards that are adaptable to Windows 98? I'd sure like to find one. When I travel, I like to take my old laptop, for convenience. I have a desktop, at home. Would appreciate some information on this topic. Thanks in advance.
roger_so.calif. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 04:29 AM   #8

Roger,
Try Ebay. Here's just one I found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/802-11b-WIRELESS-LAN-NETWOK-WiFi-PC...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-15-2005, 05:02 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
The A,B,& G designations refer to the speed of the card to transmit & receive data. The B is the slowest & earliest of the WiFi cards(and therefore cheapest). The current 'standard' is the G which will give about 10 mbps throughput. The A is a new standard, not in widespread use yet. Both the B & the G will work on most all WiFi networks.

Spend the extra bucks & get the "G" (802.11 G) it's worth the extra bucks.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #10

Its also a good idea to check the terms & length of the warranty.

Firedog73 is offline   Reply With Quote