Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #1

Why no 4G

My wife and I just got new phones. I got a iphone5 and she got an iPhone 4S. I can get 4G speed but she can only get 3G speed. Verizon network. But my daughter has a 4S and around the same table she CAN get 4G? The only difference would be she has AT&T service. Can anyone explain this to me? Do you get 4G with AT&T and only 3G with Verizon on an iPhone 4S?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
4g on AT&T is hspda or 3.5g in the rest of the world. Only the display says 4g and that is just marketing.

iPhone 5 is LTE 4G and the only iPhone that is true 4G.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

Ok, so if you have an iPhone 4S and want the fastest speed you want to have AT&T (3.5G even though it says 4G) rather than Verizon (true 3G?). Or am I missing something here?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You got it.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
My wife and I just got new phones. I got a iphone5 and she got an iPhone 4S. I can get 4G speed but she can only get 3G speed. Verizon network. But my daughter has a 4S and around the same table she CAN get 4G? The only difference would be she has AT&T service. Can anyone explain this to me? Do you get 4G with AT&T and only 3G with Verizon on an iPhone 4S?
You should of both got a 5 as now you can't even share the same chargers. Apple changed the five to the lighting or what ever they call it. I have a five and the iPad 3 and they are different. I have a mini pad coming and it will match my 5. You can get a adapter from apple that will allow you to use the old style 4S to the new five. Just not very handy. My five is on nextect and I only get 3G. My wife's five gets 4G but she is on AT&T.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #6

When Alltel went to Verizon, I let them talk me into going from 3G service with 6G/mo to 4G service with 5G/mo for $10 less/mo. Where I camp(West of Yuma at the dunes), I can only get 3G service and never use 5G/month as it is. This is not question, but it seems like I am paying less for the better service that I am not getting. Seems like I should be able to get 3G service with 5G/mo. for $40/mo. It might be worth a phone call. Does that all even make sense?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #7

I worked for AT&T for 31 years. Occasionally, we met with the wireless devision. It was like meeting Manny, Moe and Curley. That disorganized. I had AT&T wireless for a month and dumped them after I couldn't call my friends that were less than a mile from me. Been with Alltel/Verizon for over ten years now and get a 15% discount for being a veteran.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I worked for AT&T for 31 years. Occasionally, we met with the wireless devision. It was like meeting Manny, Moe and Curley. That disorganized. I had AT&T wireless for a month and dumped them after I couldn't call my friends that were less than a mile from me. Been with Alltel/Verizon for over ten years now and get a 15% discount for being a veteran.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #9

I phone 5 will display LTE when it is receiving it's fastest signal. LTE is not available everywhere.

LTE (telecommunication) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)
LTE an initialism of Long Term Evolution, marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data ...
Old 12-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I wouldn't care if AT&T had 6G... I would still take Verizon. I have AT&T on my iphone and to much of the time I get NO SIGNAL or dropped calls but with my Verizon 4620L Hot Spot I've never not had a signal and I even get 4g in places I would have never thought possible.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #11

This is the first I have heard of this Verizon 15% military discount. I was active military for four years, would this meet the requirements?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
I wouldn't care if AT&T had 6G... I would still take Verizon. I have AT&T on my iphone and to much of the time I get NO SIGNAL or dropped calls but with my Verizon 4620L Hot Spot I've never not had a signal and I even get 4g in places I would have never thought possible.

I could not wait to get rid of my ATT Iphone. Loved the phone and hated ATT Iphone on ATT did everything except let you talk on it.
I even paid the penalty to dump ATT. you want to see what 4g LTE Verizon is on the Iphone 5 try speedtest.net it is unbelevably fast up and down wish LTE was in more places, Maybe some day.
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My work phone is AT&T 4G, my personal phone is Verizon 4G. Both are iPhones.

As I travel I constantly compare them. There is no comparison in the areas (Alaska, California and the midwest) I travel. Verizon is the hands down winner on both speed and coverage.

I read an article on AT&T's 4G to find out it's not true 4G, it's HSPA+. AT&T claims it will roll out true 4G in 2013. AT&T: True 4G Will Roll Out in 2013
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #14

Just received an Apple 4S, dissapointing to find out it's only 3G. Verizon gives me a discount for being a Postal Service employee, I'll need to look into the veterian discount.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote