Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2017, 05:58 AM   #1

Wi-Fi outside city limits

I'm currently all but boondocking (electric only) in my travel trailer, out behind my uncle's barn in the country. They had struggled to get WiFi out of their place but the barn is a ways away from the house and I don't know how I'm going to get Wi-Fi to it, as most companies in town weren't able to get him Wi-Fi at the house.

Does anybody have any solutions they have come across for that?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2017, 06:05 AM   #2

Mobley. Provided you can get an AT&T signal and you can locate a Mobley.

$20 Unlimited Data with ZTE Mobley Device

69Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:31 AM   #3

Sounds like we are taking about a couple of different things here, WiFi and internet. My first question would be does the house have internet? Are you just trying to get that internet to the barn? Do you have line of sight to the house from the barn?

You can get a wireless link of pretty crazy distances depending on how much money you want to spend. You could even rent space on an antenna in town and probably do an internet link from town as long as you have line of sight, just depends on what you want to spend.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivintin View Post
Sounds like we are taking about a couple of different things here, WiFi and internet. My first question would be does the house have internet? Are you just trying to get that internet to the barn? Do you have line of sight to the house from the barn?

You can get a wireless link of pretty crazy distances depending on how much money you want to spend. You could even rent space on an antenna in town and probably do an internet link from town as long as you have line of sight, just depends on what you want to spend.
A very astute observation. I meant internet. Thank you. <3
Old 08-31-2017, 05:37 PM   #5

So does the house have internet and is it line of sight?

If not are they willing to pitch in and put something in town? Is town line of sight?

If you leverage this right you might be able to work with the ISP to share the connection with some other houses to off set the cost.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
MOBLEY!! So far it is working outside of Cody Wy... haven't road tested it yet but will next week heading to California
Old 08-31-2017, 05:49 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

With the Mobley on the ATT $20 per month Connected Vehicle plan, you get/create an internet connection to ATT cell towers & can attach up to 5 WiFi connections for your various devices. A no brainer! Been using it in my RV, Tow vehicle & S&B since May. Very satisfied. Only way to get them now is online at ATT or occasionally at ATT Corporate stores. Just keep checking!
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #8

Jim T is actually spot on if you can get AT&T there. His plan is much more reasonable than the metro link connection I was thinking about in my head, haha.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Jim T is actually spot on if you can get AT&T there. His plan is much more reasonable than the metro link connection I was thinking about in my head, haha.
I still really appreciate your, and everyone's, responses. I can get phone signal out here on my at&t phone. I'll have to look into that.

My ideal set up would be something that could go with me if I should want/ have to take my tt elsewhere. I really don't want to depend on anyone as much as I can help it (I'm trying to rebuild my shattered sense of independence... long story). Any help from these forums is another leg up in my life, so I greatly appreciate whatever help I can get. <3
Old 08-31-2017, 09:02 PM   #10

We use a Verizon Mifi. Works about everywhere.

Does your phone have Hotspot capability?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #11

It does, I think. I haven't ever used it. Idk how. Guess I'll have to look into it
Old 09-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
using the mobley in OBD port driving west on I 80. Driving past the Great Salt Lake. Saw the salt factories....Life is good!!