Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
Community Moderator

3G should work fine for Internet.....my iPad 2 only does 3G and I get along just fine.

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #16

We have a Verizon cell phone and a mifi device which gives us a wireless network when in the MH. Verizon will let you change the amount of data monthly, so we increase it when traveling and reduce it to a minimum when home. Verizon lets you share minutes and data with all devices on one plan.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #17

What Verizon plan lets you change data limits monthly. That's interesting.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
What Verizon plan lets you change data limits monthly. That's interesting.
This one. Set Your Location
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #19

Firedoc you have received some great advice here and I am sure it will be a good start to get you online. If you are interested in a little more background and detail there it's a newly published book by Cherie ve Ard and Chris Dunphy called "The Mobile Internet Handbook" out had been well received. Sometimes great to understand the background
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
X2 for Millincom. Verizon 4g network, no contract, poratable
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
X2 for Millincom. Verizon 4g network, no contract, poratable
Just be cognizant of the fact that they charge $20 to reactivate the hotspot. I have just recenly canceled my account with Millenicom due to the fact that I was generally leaving 15 to 16GB of unused data on the table every month. I looked at the Verizon Jetpack at Walmart but the $20/month line access fee plus 4GB at I think was $50/month put me close to Millenicom with a whole lot less data. So I got the Straight Talk hotspot to try. The device was $80 and the plan was $40 for 4GB of data that is good for 60 days. There are no monthly access fees. The downside is that it is only 3G but I don't stream movies and most of my web is the forums. Just an FYI.
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #22

For what it's worth considering a hot spot, under the Verizon "More Anything Plan" (unlimited calling and texting), you can turn your iphone into a Hot Spot for no extra charge. Of course you pay for the Data but can change the plan to move upward if you are going to exceed your plan (can do this on-line and use more data -- go figure!). Think the cost after our shared 2gb is $10 per additional shared gig. On 4G LTE I've been able to get 8+mbps download speed and 2+ upload speed. Not sure what the speed would be if I was only able to get 3G speed, but certainly will be less. Our phones are a iPhone 5c and 5s.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #23

[QUOTE=pasdad1;2230803]3G should work fine for Internet.....my iPad 2 only does 3G and I get along just fine.

Hey usually that's not an issue but the last few times we have went out its been doing that.
juicy j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #24

That you all for your help I have lots of info now to start this project
juicy j is offline   Reply With Quote