Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #1

Wifi???

I want to add Wi-Fi to my RV but I have no clue where to start can anyone help me.
juicy j is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Wifi???

It would help if you describe what you are planning to use it for.

There are simple little boxes "mifi" is one example, that makes a cellular connection
and then creates a "hot spot" wifi network for up to 5 devices to access the Internet.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi

Or

Do you want to amplify weak campground wifi to make it more useable ?

Or

Do you want to create your own wireless network just to share photos, videos,
and printers?

Different needs, and potentially different hardware/software involved in the above
solutions.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #3

O wow this is lot more then I was thinking. Well it would be more of a hot spot so my wife can work while on trips and this kids still have there internet
Old 09-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy j View Post
O wow this is lot more then I was thinking. Well it would be more of a hot spot so my wife can work while on trips and this kids still have there internet

Here is an overview article.....each carrier has their own devices now
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi

One suggestion that's easy. Get iPad with 4g LTE That way it picks up Internet automatically wherever there is a signal.....Verizon has the best coverage in general.

All smart phones have Internet access already. Some smart phones can be configured to create a "hot spot" wifi network, just like the "mifi" device.

Need to know how many Gigs of data you think you want vs. how much you want to pay per month. Streaming movies and videos can get expensive in a hurry.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As mentioned, there are mifi boxes to do what you want. Also, iPhones and the like have the capability to be a hot spot as well. If you've got several people using it, watch your data usage. It can get eaten up pretty quick.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pasdad is a quicker typer than me.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #7

Well I know I don't want to pay much. We all have Verizon phones. So it sounds like I may want to get a mifi..
Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I know I don't want to pay much. We all have Verizon phones. So it sounds like I may want to get a mifi..

You still have to pay for data usage, no matter what device you stream through.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #9

Do they have a pay as you go deal I don't want to pay monthly on something we don't use in the winter time this would just be for the RV
Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Here is what I use. Set Your Location
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You would have to ask Verizon about a pay as you go plan.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
When we are on the road we use Millenicom..,,,the package we use is the 20 GB of data for $89.99....Its allows you to connect up to 10 devices.....It is also a month to month plan....so we typically only use it for one month a year. DW needs internet when we are on the road for work......Probably the best bang for your buck out there.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your phones are smart phones (Android or IOS, do not know about Windows phones) there are apps that advertise they can let you connect your computer to the net via the phone (Called Tethering) and hide that fact from Verizon.... Since I'm NOT a verizon customer I can not review them for you or tell you how well they work.

I do know Verizon was slapped by the government a few years ago for double dipping on data, They charge for the data (Most plans) and then they charge you AGAIN to tether.

But again, since I am not one of their customers.. I can not tell you the final outcome.

A Mi-Fi device adds a line to your account. It too has data limits, you go over on a Verizon plan and they Cha-Ching you.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #14

Firwst thank you all for the help... So we have Verizon smartphones was trying to do the tether but the problem we ran into was we where out in the sticks and lost 4g service dropped to 3g and then we could no longer get internet as soon as 4g came back so did the internet. I was just hoping to find a more reliable access point