Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WiFi Access

I am getting ready to purchase a WiFi broadband plan and need some advice. I want to be able to use 2 laptops at the same time. Verizon offers Mifi-2200 that will support us to 5 WiFi devices. I see others who use a USB card and a
wireless router to accomplish the same thing. One laptop has Windows XP and the other one has Windows 7.

Can someone explain the pros and cons of both options for me?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to AlexSian
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
I am getting ready to purchase a WiFi broadband plan and need some advice. I want to be able to use 2 laptops at the same time. Verizon offers Mifi-2200 that will support us to 5 WiFi devices. I see others who use a USB card and a
wireless router to accomplish the same thing. One laptop has Windows XP and the other one has Windows 7.
Can someone explain the pros and cons of both options for me?
when the mifi first came out, i put up this information:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/the-m...-if-52304.html

you might want to read through that, as a starting point.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #3

I just went to the mifi yesterday. My existing aircard from verizon was not keeping up to date with their system changes, hence connection problems. This card is ideal in our home and in the rv. It shows that its reception of the signal is better and faster in connection speed. To date I am happy, however, I can get the old system back at no cost up to 30 days. At home I locate the mifi in a central area and plug it into a wall plug for operation and charging. Seems to be a good choice for two computers. Plus I did not like the aircard taking up space when I carried the computer around the house. Free to try, you may enjoy it.
dixon.mld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #4

The mi-fi is a good unit with the most recent software release but I still prefer the flexibility and additional user options offered by a separate air card and a Cradlepoint router.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
The biggest downside to the MiFi is that it doesn't have an external antenna port for use of an external antenna. For *us* this would negate our use of this device since we're often in places where we need both our external Wilson antenna AND our Wilson wired amplifier in order to pull in a useable signal.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can I use the Cradlepoint Router and any USB Aircard that Verizon offers? I see that some Cards are listed as Windows 7 compatible and some are not. As I said before, one laptop has XP and one has Windows 7.

Which router is the best for RV use? I see that the Cradlepoint MBR900 is listed as 3G/4G.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
I was using my Cradlepoint 350 router with the same aircard when I was using XP and Vista. Have upgraded two computers to Win 7 and still use the XP computer. No changes in the router or aircard.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
Can I use the Cradlepoint Router and any USB Aircard that Verizon offers? I see that some Cards are listed as Windows 7 compatible and some are not. As I said before, one laptop has XP and one has Windows 7.

Which router is the best for RV use? I see that the Cradlepoint MBR900 is listed as 3G/4G.
The computer operating system is not relevant as the Cradlepoint will provide the necessary connection software. Here is a list of the supported Verizon modems:

Novatel MiFi 2200
Novatel USB720
Novatel USB727
Novatel USB760
Sierra Wireless 595U
UTStarcom UM150
(Pantech UM150)
UTStarcom UM175
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #9

I got the mifi and am happy with it. I now have an unused Kyocera D-1router and 650 air card. It does have a Wilson antenna connector with it. If anyone can use it let me know. Terry Smay

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
You can get a Wilson end that stick onto the card with velcro - works great. I recommend the Cradlepoint 350 router.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
One month into the mifi and all is fine. Currently using at home in place of a wireless router with one XP and one Vista laptops. Have tested on the road locally several times successfully. Getting ready for a three month road trip so we will find out real quick if we made the right choice.($59.99/mth)
If you go with the mifi, make sure you have the folks at the verizon store load, "VZ Access manager" for you. We had a little hiccup with the install and currently are running without it. That is the management point for settings etc of the unit.
Signal strength and speed seem equal to our current high speed at home. Access and connection speed will mirror your usual phone reception.

"Hard telling-not knowing"...
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I am using the wilson booster on my verizon card I bought 4 days ago. Works great and even supports a majic jack for phone calls.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a Verizon AD3700 USB modem and a Cradlepoint MBR1000 router. The router isn't here yet but I bought a month to month plan and got the modem up and running. I am looking at a Cricket 600A booster antenna, anyone have any experience with this antenna?

Old 12-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I should have done more investigation before I made my purchases. The AD3700 does not work on the Cradlepoint routers. The company I bought the AD3700 from will exchange it for a Novatel USB760 and refund the $ difference. They also paid for the shipping on the return. I highly recommend "LetsTalk.com" as their customer service is outstanding.